Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default snow shovel

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:42:04 -0000, Fred
wrote:

Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?

I can see that the plastic shovels have two advantages: unlike metal
shovels, they will not rust, and they are lighter to carry in the car.
Other than these, are they any different to a normal (and cheaper)
shovel, like this one:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand.../sd2669/p32828

TIA

I bought a shovel like this (but not the same):

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/P/Ort...826509%29.aspx

It is so light, snow moving is much, much easier than the shovels and
things I have previously used. While not as large as some (like the TS
one), it is incredibly effective. I'd say it feels like half the effort.
Much easier to do two light scoops than one heavy one - especially if you
are not used that sort of activity (like me).

The telescopic and detachable handle makes it easy to find somewhere to
stow it in the car. And it feels very, very strong.

--
Rod