Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a perfect snow shovel

Ignoramus8020 wrote:
I recall seeing professional snow shovels, that were I think made of
some nice aluminum, with almost straight blades, that worked
great. Made for large apartment building owners.

I do not mean the crap that they sell in stores these days, either
trashy plastic or very thin aluminum. These do not stand up to a man
shoveling large amount of snow.

I would really like to buy a sheet of suitable metal and make a most
perfect snow shovel, that would be usable forever. Any suggestions as
to what gade, thickness etc of what metal to buy?

I do not mind regular carbon steel, as well.

What I do not want is a shovel that would be either too heavy, or
would bend when it hits some object, and does not crack from long term
use.

I've used aluminum grain scoops a couple of times while working for a
contractor that shoveled walks for businesses. Even waxed, heavy, wet
snows would stick to them, I had to beat the snow off them on every
shovelful, very tedious. What my dad made up has worked best. He took
a standard steel snow shovel, made a galvanized sheet back for it and
riveted it on for pushing, then used a strip of packing strap iron
riveted on for a wear strip on the front. The back was curled so you
could use it for pushing and it would take a pretty large bite for
shoveling drifts. We used to get wide strap iron from along the
railroad tracks, apparently some kind of tie-downs or something on rail
cars, there was lots of it. It wore for years before we had to renew
it. The back was about 8" high, was salvaged galvanized heating duct
sheet. A Whitney hand punch and a pop-riveter makes short work of the
mods.

Finding a good steel shovel with a decent handle is kind of hard these
days. I ended up with a semi-satisfactory one from Home Despot, had to
go ask a floor guy where they were. All they had were those plastic
and weird cranked-handle jobbies out on the floor, they hid the good
ones back in a corner. Probably because the good ones were cheaper.
Had a wood handle and a steel blade. Had to do some work on the handle
to smooth it up, was all frizzed up from finishing, would tear up
gloves otherwise. They didn't de-whisker it before spraying on the
finish. Was like $5, though. A square or rectangular handle shaft
with a good spade end is important. One of the reasons I don't like
the plastic shovels is that all the handles are round, really hard to
get a good grip on with gloves.

Stan