Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default snow shovel

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:19:18 -0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 05/02/2012 17:12, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?

snip

Extend that comparison to moving the snow with a teaspoon and you may
find the effort is considerably more. :-)

Probably most efficient (and a lot faster) to move as much as you can
shift with each shovel load, so the bigger lighter shovel should be
better.

Nah - there's a sweet spot between too heavy and too light. Same as
gearing, and it'll vary between people.

Agreed - I was surprised quite how tiring a metal shovel was. Didn't seem
that heavy, for each load, but after a while it was very tiring. Both the
weight of the load and the shovel itself contributed. Am quite convinced I
could move twice the amount with the light one before giving up.

And yes, the non-stick side is a benefit.

Think I'll give the teaspoon a miss, thanks. :-)

--
Rod