Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ebay - OT

"sweetheart" hotmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I am only obsessed with this one dealer. Anyone else can have any plate
I bid on they like.

Hardly "a cheat" - he bid as high as he wanted to pay. If you'd bid more,
you'd have won it. The only time the bid time comes into play is if one
bidder doesn't understand how eBay works in terms of automatic bidding to
your limit, or if two people bid the exact same amount at different times
- in which case, the _earlier_ bid wins.

But, that apart, if it is somehow reprehensible to do that, aren't you
just being hypocritical to then do the same?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 10:51 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I can't be bothered to read this. But 50 says you will metion a car or your
late Aunt.

This is possibly a rant but someone may be able to help this naive
stupid female here.
I have to say I don't like the concept of e bay anyway but I have
little choice .

I want to buy a decorative plate. I tried all the charity shops and
auctions and car boots locally ( I work cant travel forever) and
cant find one . I looked on the internet and I keep being referred to
e bay, so in desperation I decided to buy there.

Now I haven't managed to get a plate yet! Thats what annoys. Ebay seems to
be a rip off full of dealers buying up things and selling
them in their " shops" at what I suspect are inflated prices. Now I
might normally go to such a " shop" but now I am miffed and wont!

Long story. I saw a plate ( there are four or five available in
fact). Five days ago I put a bid in for the asking price which was
4.99 . Most of them are around that on e bay. This was the first
to finish. So I waited. No one else bid over me and I actually went to the
site
to wait it out so I could up the bid if anyone did come. I watched
it count down . Then right at the last second literally some b u
.... came and put in a bid 50p higher. I didn't have time to over bid.

Now I might have chalked that to experience except I then watched the
next three plates go down. Each time they went to this same buyer. He
( or she) is obviously a dealer!!!!! You don't need four tatty
decorative plates on your home wall ( believe me I am female I know)

If I could buy new I would but this plate was made in the 1970's. I
was too young then to even afford the 15 a new one would have cost.

I am annoyed now. I still want a plate and it still seems e bay is
the only place I will get one but I refuse to pay a dealer now on
principle. My problem is though, how do I know what is a reasonable bid
for
something? If I bought this tat in a charity shop I would pay (
probably) 5 - and I would rather do that but there are no plates in
the charity shops! If I go to a private buyer ( someone like myself
selling it off my own wall) I would be happy to pay them a decent
price but I don't know what that price is so how can I
a) find out what a reasonable price is to put it on the goods?
b) make sure I am not being ripped off by a dealer?

If I miss the next plate I go for it will be two weeks before the next
"auction" finishes and I can see myself in this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second. The next one is three days
time now. I have put in a bid but I need to know how much is too much
for a dealer but not a rip off for me?

I wouldn't mind but this seems common now. I had a similar experience
with my aunts house that I have just put on the market. These dealers
and builders etc. are dishonest in that they pretend to be ordinary
buyers which looking into it they clearly are not.

Rant over. Any help on the little problem would be appreciated.

--
Adam

;)))))))))))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 8:54 pm, "BartC" wrote:

This business about everyone bidding in the last minute is ridiculous; why
not advertise for a week, but only allow bids within the final minute?
Effectively that is what happens.

That NZ scheme seems a much better idea, where an item is sold when there
are no higher bids.

Not everybody is on broadband in NZ. Not yet anyway. There may be
delays for people on dialup. Therefore it makes sense to extend an
auction until people stop bidding for a minute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
sweetheart :
Rant over. Any help on the little problem would be appreciated.

I think I can help. Read carefully, sweetheart.

Presumably you're reasonably familiar with real auctions. Roughly
speaking...

The recommended procedure is to decide how much you're prepared to
pay for an item, and bid up to that amount. If the bidding reaches
that amount, and you are outbid, you stop.

I have never been outbid in a real auction. Its never reached what I was
willing to pay. Mostly I have had stuff for a lot less . So its unfamiliar
territory.

No-one cares what order the bids are placed in, or how quickly they
are made, or at what stage people enter the bidding. The result is
the same.

Its not though is it? In a real auction the bidding would not have stopped
when it did, the auctioneer would have waited for me to say I would go
higher or refuse. Then it would stop when either I or the late bidder
reached the top price. . My anger revolves around the fact that this bidder
did as someone called "snipe" put a bid in right on the last second so I
couldnt go higher and out bid him. Thats why I am annoyed. I didnt have the
chance to out bid him even though I would happily have paid far more. I just
didnt know what I should pay. I played it by ear as it were but the system
doesnt allow for that.

I agree its my own naivity. I didnt realise that you had to play the game
that way. You dont in real auctions.

If you can't attend the auction in person you can send someone else,
armed with your maximum price. That's all they need. You don't need
to be there yourself.

But I was there. I could have bid. I didnt deem I needed to leave a
commissioned bid. Had I known that was what you do, I would have. Thats why
I have put the next one on e bays auto thing but even then people are
saying I wont get it because sniping will out bid ..... although there is
some confusion. Others seem to think I am going to be paying the full whack
of what I have left on commission ? A commissioned bid in an auction room
means you will pay UP to that amount. It sems now I am being told e bay
expect you will pay that anyway. So I either lose out because I am sniped
at the last second or I leave a high commission ( maximum bid) and pay far
more than anyone else is willing to pay. In a real auction I would only pay
one bid over what the last bidder offered.

Which is it on e bay? So I will learn but one thing is for sure. if this
bloke outbids me he will have paid far too much! I dont care. I bet he will
though.

.. I'm not saying you're stupid, but your behaviour was stupid,
because you didn't understand how things work. It's that lack of
understanding that caused the bad feelings that led to your anger.

I agree but thats because e bay dont explain the rules.

Rule 1 (essential): Bid right (once, for your maximum price) and you
won't have a problem.

Rule 2 (optional): Bid late, to reduce the risk of being outbid by
someone else doing what you used to do.

I cant always bid late. I cant always be there. So I left my maximum bid
and I expect it to be enough, if it isnt someone is going to be paying far
too much. As I said it doesnt bother me. I have committed that money now.
But it will bother someone else I am sure if they want to out bid me.

If you don't have a feeling for what prices things go for, you *don't*
find out by nudging your bid up. You find out by using eBay's search
facility and ticking the "Show only completed listings" box, to see what
similar items have gone for in the recent past.

I did though. Plates have consistently gone £4.99 or less ( except the one
I bid on at £4.99 ) and I got sniped and it went to £5.19 but I would have
gone much higher time allowing. I have really inflated it out of the
arena now just to win because I cant be there the next time and I wont be
done over in the last second.

I want the plate. I don't want to keep going after one and another and
another to find some plonker coming in at a second to go. If he wants this
plate, he pays or its mine. Simple as that.
The seller wins either way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 10:01 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"Steve Firth" wrote in message

. ..

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

but hey ho, its only money and I will have what I want.

But you just said that you "don't like the dealer buying from under me
and then trying to sell it on to me", yet if money were no oject as you
indicate above what is the problem with that?

Sorry I havent explained that well enough. The next plate I have a bid on is
from a different seller. I am saying I will not allow this particular
dealer who is the only other interested buying party to out bid me. I dont
care about what it costs me. I wont let him do it again by sniping it at
the last second. If he does, he is going to be shokced at what he pays.
Its just the winning for me now.

BTW, could you use a less irritating newsreader than Windows Mail? WM
makes the baby Jesus cry and it is Sunday.

I don't have another one and I am sorry despite what you think my
internet
skills aren't up to more than I have.

obfuscating your google groups profile (& easy links back to previous
"literary works" ;)) caught my eye.....

I dont have a google account as far as I am aware So I am not sure what you
mean. I dont have any google groups either. ????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
news
In message , sweetheart
wrote

The market place isnt active.

They all sell on Ebay and you cannot find any elsewhere. The market is
active.

No , thats not quite right. The ones that have sold have all gone to one
person, who has them all as far as I can see unsold in his BIN? Is that it -
in his buy it now shop.
It is true I cannot right now find a plate anywhere else although 10 are
currently for sale on google. There have been 4 past ones None have had any
other buyer than this one dealer ( except for the one where I bid and he
paid more for that than the asking rate of course)

At the end of the day a dealer cannot tie up money just buying
all the stock and not selling anything. The dealer must have a market for
the items or else he would stop buying them and as a dealer he needs to
make a profit so he is probably paying 30% to 50% of the real active
market price. With postage charges and Ebay fees he would need to sell a
£5 item for around £8 just to break even so it suggest s that the real
market price is around £12/£15.

The real market price is around £10 according to the couple I saw a few
months ago on a real shop! I was not in the market though then. They did
sell but it was christmas

I think he is speculating for some reason. As I said, nothing sold, just him
buying and placing them in his "shop"

For something you are willing to pay £100 for why are you surprised that
dealers are snapping them up at a fiver?

No one else would pay that much. I am stupid. I will not be outbid by him.

I doubt the others ( after I get mine) will go for £100. I wonder if they
will sell at all unless this guy carries on buying.

The plate is worth no more than a tenner. Bottom line. I am offering far
more for ONE plate. I could sit it out and probably pick one up for £5 or
less. Its just its got to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
gglz.com wrote:
To summarise this one:
Ebay doesn't work the way she *thinks* it should.
She's upset.
Reality adjustment required.

In effect:
I went into Netto today and tried to buy some milk. It
said 1.49 on the bottle. I offered them 50p. They refused.
How *dare* Netto not operate as I think they should.

Not a good analogy though is it?

I offered the £1.49 and accepted that I might need to pay more. I went to
the check out and waited . Then the checkout girl swiped the milk from me
and gave it to another customer who hadnt been in the queue before just
because he said he would pay £2.00 for it. I didnt get the option to offer
£2.50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

Anyway there is an identical clock in an auction this afternoon. It
has several bidders on it. So why so many after this one clock when
they could go and " buy it now" cheaper?
Like me are they ? annoyed.

No, they are just stupid. People get sucked into Ebay thinking that
items are cheap in the "auctions". Investigate further on easy to obtain
goods with tens of sellers and you will regularly find Ebay auctions
where the bidding price has gone well beyond the buy it now price
offered by someone else. In many cases non-Ebay is cheaper.

I use Ebay as a buyer only and find it convenient for certain items,
mainly of low value where you can see like items from many sellers on
the same page.

I was looking around the e bay discussions. There is a thread or two
or three , all saying what I have said here. I am not alone in being
done over in innocence.

Yes there are people who bid on Ebay who haven't bothered reading the
rules and/or have not researched this method of buying or selling. The
fact that millions of people use it each week suggests the number of
complaints such as yours are rather insignificant.

Thats a real problem. I dont know what its worth. I say I will pay what
it takes ( like an auction - the price is what you can get on the day)
. There is no real market outside of e bay for this thing.

Or the market is active and you cannot find the item elsewhere because
when they are on sale they are sold fast.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 9:13 pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Apr 10, 7:56 pm, Alan wrote:
In message , sweetheart
wrote

I look for auctions that finish at stupid times, such as the middle of
a working day, or very late at night, and leap in with a bid at the
very end.
I never buy plates!

I never buy plates ( or anything) either. All I wanted was one plate ( out
of 10 or so there).
It seems like so much trouble to have to learn a game for one plate.
As for looking at auctions finishing at stupid times. I do have to work and
wouldn't be able to be at the stupid timed auctions. The next one finishes
at 3,00 am. I am going to get up for that ( not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"sweetheart" hotmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I am only obsessed with this one dealer. Anyone else can have any plate
I bid on they like.

Hardly "a cheat" - he bid as high as he wanted to pay. If you'd bid more,
you'd have won it. The only time the bid time comes into play is if one
bidder doesn't understand how eBay works in terms of automatic bidding to
your limit, or if two people bid the exact same amount at different times
- in which case, the _earlier_ bid wins.

But, that apart, if it is somehow reprehensible to do that, aren't you
just being hypocritical to then do the same?

No I wasn't willing to do the same as you put it. But I am now. Thats the
game isn't it? I learned . I still think it is reprehensible though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

My anger revolves around the fact that this bidder
did as someone called "snipe" put a bid in right on the last second so I
couldnt go higher and out bid him. Thats why I am annoyed. I didnt have the
chance to out bid him even though I would happily have paid far more. I just
didnt know what I should pay. I played it by ear as it were but the system
doesnt allow for that.

You didn't understand the rules. Tough titty.

I agree its my own naivity. I didnt realise that you had to play the game
that way. You dont in real auctions.

eBay isn't a real auction. It isn't an auction at all.

It's more like an open tender system. The best offer before the cutoff
time gets it. It's the way I used to get quotes from contractors at
British Rail, with the difference that the quotes I got were sealed
until I opened them. If the quote arrived a minute late, it got binned
without being opened.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

eBay isn't a real auction. It isn't an auction at all.

Yes I have got that message. Would be better if they put that loud and
clear on the site though - together with secret reserves and having bidding
friends bidding it all up ( yes that does happen in real auctions and I
have seen it and stopped and let them drop for it!) and such instead of
having to find them in the small print.

But as you say E bay isn't a real auction.

All I want is one plate if I could find one elsewhere right now I would.
But I have the bid in and that is that as they say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

but I also suspect your bid is fixed at the amount you enter, rather
than just enough to win the auction.

Bid amounts go up in 50p amounts when the current bid price is low, and
then in £1 as the amount rises and then in........

Ebay auto-bids the minimum incremental amount to beat the competition.

In this case the OP may get it for £6 rather than for the £100 maximum
bid entered.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 10:31, Mike Barnes wrote:
:
Rant over. Any help on the little problem would be appreciated.

I think I can help. Read carefully, sweetheart.

Presumably you're reasonably familiar with real auctions. Roughly
speaking...

The recommended procedure is to decide how much you're prepared to
pay for an item, and bid up to that amount. If the bidding reaches
that amount, and you are outbid, you stop.

No-one cares what order the bids are placed in, or how quickly they
are made, or at what stage people enter the bidding. The result is
the same.

If you can't attend the auction in person you can send someone else,
armed with your maximum price. That's all they need. You don't need
to be there yourself.

With eBay it's more or less like that, where you send someone else to
the auction room to do your bidding. eBay *is* that person. You decide
what your maximum bid is, you tell eBay to bid up to that price, and you
leave it at that. The person who bids highest wins, and they pay
slightly more than the second-highest bidder's maximum, and they pay no
more than their own maximum.

Nothing there to get angry about.

Some people don't understand the above, so they bid a low price, and if
they're outbid, they bid a higher price. This is what you see in a real
auction, where it makes sense, but in eBay it's stupid. I'm not saying
the bidders are necessarily stupid, but their actions are stupid. And
that stupidity drives up prices.

Because of that stupidity, the wise bidder saves his bid until the last
moment, so that there isn't time for those stupid increased bids. And
he/she probably uses software ("sniping" software) to do it, so they
don't need to be sitting in front of their computer at any particular
time.

You've been sniped. But only because you weren't bidding properly. You
put in a bid of less than you were prepared to pay, and you watched to
see if you were outbid, intending to put in a higher bid. This was
stupid. I'm not saying you're stupid, but your behaviour was stupid,
because you didn't understand how things work. It's that lack of
understanding that caused the bad feelings that led to your anger.

Rule 1 (essential): Bid right (once, for your maximum price) and you
won't have a problem.

Rule 2 (optional): Bid late, to reduce the risk of being outbid by
someone else doing what you used to do.

If you don't have a feeling for what prices things go for, you *don't*
find out by nudging your bid up. You find out by using eBay's search
facility and ticking the "Show only completed listings" box, to see what
similar items have gone for in the recent past.

The best explanation so far, Mike. I use eBay a lot, as I live in the
country and don't have easy access to a wide variety of shops. Buying
from such as eBay, Amazon and eBuyer I can choose from a huge range of
goods and pay less, often far less. I have rarely had a problem on eBay,
and those that I have had were settled without having to leave negative
feedback. The only loser is my postman, who has threatened to take my
computer away!

Sweetheart, don't give up. Once you have really grasped the best tactics
(I use late bidding with a sensible maximum bid), it is easy and fun.
There is one other bidding technique that is uncommon but I've just used
to buy some Access 2010 licences. Some sellers offer a Buy It Now or
Make An Offer. The buyer can't decide to use it, only the seller.

The posters are right. It is easy to do the wrong thing at a real
auction, until you know the best techniques. You are usually up against
dealers there too. eBay is just the same. Learn and then enjoy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I never buy plates ( or anything) either. All I wanted was one plate (
out
of 10 or so there).
It seems like so much trouble to have to learn a game for one plate.
As for looking at auctions finishing at stupid times. I do have to work
and
wouldn't be able to be at the stupid timed auctions. The next one
finishes
at 3,00 am. I am going to get up for that ( not)

You don't have to. Decide what you're prepared to pay for the plate. Enter
that as your eBay bid. eBay will automatically increase your bid to your
maximum whether you're there or not.

Yes, I know, thats what I have done. So if I am outbid, believe me the bloke
has paid for it!
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

No they are not, not when they think they can offer daft money for
something and " pretend" they are first time buyers looking for a starting
out home.

Bidders are anonymous. People don't declare their profession, they just come
along and bid like you do.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
On 10/04/2011 10:31, Mike Barnes wrote:

Rule 1 (essential): Bid right (once, for your maximum price) and you
won't have a problem.

Sweetheart, don't give up. Once you have really grasped the best tactics
(I use late bidding with a sensible maximum bid), it is easy and fun.
There is one other bidding technique that is uncommon but I've just used
to buy some Access 2010 licences. Some sellers offer a Buy It Now or Make
An Offer. The buyer can't decide to use it, only the seller.

The posters are right. It is easy to do the wrong thing at a real auction,
until you know the best techniques. You are usually up against dealers
there too. eBay is just the same. Learn and then enjoy.

All I want is one plate. I don't want the game. I don't want to go to the
BIN as in fact I suspect I will be ripped off ( as its one dealer) .
I will get my plate and that will be it. Probably the next one down and
its probably a better plate too in terms of description.

But I don't like e bay and thats me finished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keep an eye on the local paper for house clearance sales

failing that put a Wanted ad inAsda/Tesco

even Freecycle

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I am only obsessed with this one dealer. Anyone else can have any
plate I bid on they like.

Hardly "a cheat" - he bid as high as he wanted to pay. If you'd bid
more, you'd have won it. The only time the bid time comes into play is
if one bidder doesn't understand how eBay works in terms of automatic
bidding to your limit, or if two people bid the exact same amount at
different times - in which case, the _earlier_ bid wins.

But, that apart, if it is somehow reprehensible to do that, aren't you
just being hypocritical to then do the same?

No I wasn't willing to do the same as you put it. But I am now. Thats
the game isn't it? I learned . I still think it is reprehensible though.

So you're a hypocrite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
All I want is one plate. I don't want the game. I don't want to go to
the BIN as in fact I suspect I will be ripped off ( as its one dealer) .

Exactly the same as buying something in most shops. You pay the asking
price or do without.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 9:59 pm, Adrian wrote:
Matty F gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Why should the auction time being sometimes extended by a few minutes
matter in the least?
Because it might not be a few minutes, but could be a few days.

Well if an auction continues for a few days with a new bid every minute,
why would you not be delighted by the incredibly higher price that you
will receive?

But if all those bids would've been received anyway - and the only
question is one of the timescale - the end price will be the same.

Let's say that the auction extends for two days. With a bid every
minute that's 2880 bids. Is that likely? With TradeMe a bid has to be
at least a dollar higher than the previous bid. $2880 is s very good
price for a plate or whatever you are selling. And if someone takes
longer than a minute to make a bid, the auction ends immediately.
Just face it, Ebay do not handle auctions well, which is why they are
not in NZ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:06:53 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

I would go well up. In fact I have bid on a plate now with a silly
price. I doubt any dealer would go near it BUT what angers me is I would
prefer to deal with someone genuine. I cant be sure the person I have
offered my next bid to isn't a dealer. I don't think they are since they
offered the plate at 99p ( most dealers are asking about a tenner in
their shops. Watching whats going on now I can see they are trying to
buy the plate ( the one I want) at around £5 ( the one I lost went to
the bu for £5,19).

Why shouldn't a dealer bid? They are just as entitled as you.

I dont think they shouldnt bid but I think they need to be honest so you
can see who they are and what they are doing. Neither do I think
creating a market amongst themselves really gives a true indication of the
value of goods.

That's how the market in any collectable works. Their intrinsic value is a
fraction of the price because it IS an artificial market

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

On Apr 10, 8:34 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Matty F wrote:
Well that's a failing of Ebay. The auction should continue as long as
people are willing to bid.

Who decides when that is? This is an on-line auction, it's not
supervised by an auctioneer. The only way that a bidder can register an
interest is to bid.

It's very simple.

Well no it's not, but do continue.

When nobody bids for about a minute after the time
the auction was due to close, the auction closes.

So in what way is this better? It's not achieving anything more than
entering a higher bid to start with. I suspect that you don't actually
understand how ebay works.

So, an auction may continue for a few more minutes and get a better
price for the seller, and Ebay could get a higher commission. But they
don't, because they have not thought of extending auctions.

They probably thought of it and decided it was a bad idea. A fixed
finish time results, usually, in a bidding fever. If someone is keen to
secure the item they can bid a higher value in the first place. The
process at ebay is more like a sealed bid (Dutch) auction than a
saleroom auction but in practice there's a not a huge difference in end
result. Items for sale usually reach about what they are worth. In fact
on ebay items often sell for considerabloy more than they are worth.

You seem to feel that there's some sort of natural justice in allowing
someone to keep on raising their bid. In truth the OP wasn't willing to
make a big enough bid to secure the item of interest.

Which is why Ebay will never get anywhere in the NZ market, because
Ebay is inferior.

Nah, it's because the Kiwis are backward. Anyway why should ebay worry?
A market of 24M sheep with 6M elligible for the vote at some point in
their life is hardly worth working up a sweat over.

That's the real reason ebay won't take off over there. Not enough of a
population to fuel the process.

This whole thread shows that.

It shows the above.

The OP was unable to outbid another bidder because of a timing problem of
a few seconds.

The OP was perfectly at liberty to outbid someone, she didn't. She
entered a bid value that was the same as the initial asking price and
expected to win the bid. Several times over in fact. That wouldn't have
worked in the system that you are proposing either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
gglz.com wrote:
To summarise this one:
Ebay doesn't work the way she *thinks* it should.
She's upset.
Reality adjustment required.

In effect:
I went into Netto today and tried to buy some milk. It
said 1.49 on the bottle. I offered them 50p. They refused.
How *dare* Netto not operate as I think they should.

Not a good analogy though is it?

I offered the £1.49 and accepted that I might need to pay more. I went to
the check out and waited . Then the checkout girl swiped the milk from me
and gave it to another customer who hadnt been in the queue before just
because he said he would pay £2.00 for it. I didnt get the option to offer
£2.50.

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

eBay isn't a real auction. It isn't an auction at all.

Yes I have got that message. Would be better if they put that loud and
clear on the site though - together with secret reserves

Reserves are secret, even in real auctions. And eBay says "Reserve not
reached".

Ah well it hasnt said that to me anywhere.

friends bidding it all up

"Shill bidding" is against the rules.

If they can prove it. It should be aginst the rules.

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

No they are not, not when they think they can offer daft money for
something and " pretend" they are first time buyers looking for a
starting out home.

Bidders are anonymous. People don't declare their profession, they just
come along and bid like you do.

But when you look at their hisroty and activity , it becomes very clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sorry - all of your excitability over this is over a whole SIXTY SECONDS?
Big wow. That's fairly irrelevant, tbh. I assumed that it was an actually
relevant amount of time.

Just face it, Ebay do not handle auctions well, which is why they are
not in NZ.

Probably more to do with TradeMe reaching critical mass locally first.
After all, if this feature was such an inherent market-share-winner, then
either eBay would have taken it on themselves, or TradeMe would have
beaten eBay hands-down globally. There are various other countries where
local alternatives have beaten eBay - in most of them, eBay have later
bought that rival. Strange that they don't appear to have done that in
the Antipodes, eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

And anyone can simply not collect it.

There is for example, a fortune to be made out of fake Nazi memorabilia.
Not to mention anything 'gay' or vaguely associated with 'celebrities'

Hmm. where is my collection of 'used underwear from the celebrated gay
Nazi, Ernest ROHM'

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ernst-Rohm-The-Gay-Nazi

Never mind - any old tat is good enough, for ebay.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"sweetheart" hotmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I am only obsessed with this one dealer. Anyone else can have any
plate I bid on they like.

Hardly "a cheat" - he bid as high as he wanted to pay. If you'd bid
more, you'd have won it. The only time the bid time comes into play is
if one bidder doesn't understand how eBay works in terms of automatic
bidding to your limit, or if two people bid the exact same amount at
different times - in which case, the _earlier_ bid wins.

But, that apart, if it is somehow reprehensible to do that, aren't you
just being hypocritical to then do the same?

No I wasn't willing to do the same as you put it. But I am now. Thats
the game isn't it? I learned . I still think it is reprehensible though.

So you're a hypocrite.

Absolutely, now I am. I learned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

friends bidding it all up

"Shill bidding" is against the rules.

If they can prove it. It should be aginst the rules.

Yeh, "innocent until proven guilty" is such an inconvenience sometimes...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"Huge" wrote in message

"Shill bidding" is against the rules.

If they can prove it. It should be aginst the rules.

.

It is, and if a person gets caught, they are banned from Ebay.

Until they set up an account in a different name, anyway. One side
effect of the web is that nobody can tell you're really a cat.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about. But if thats what you
think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I am not seriously.
I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't do it deliberately.
But Ill go if it suits.

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 11:18 pm, Adrian wrote:
[...]

A minute would give the OP time to decide whether to oubid the nasty
dealer who made a bid with 10 seconds to go. Problem solved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about. But if thats what
you think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I am not seriously.
I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't do it
deliberately. But Ill go if it suits.

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

We don't know or, by and large, care, whether you're male, female, a
dog, a cat or a little green alien from the planet K-Pax. All we know
about you is what you type.

From this side of the screen, it looks as if you're trying to generate
controversy.

You post in a newsgroup that has nothing to do with the subject of your
post, and get annoyed when people disagree with you.

That's normally called trolling.

Your typing needs proofreading, too.....

You might like to try
alt.anti-ebay
or
alt.anti.ebay

They're a bit more relevant to what you're trying to say.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about.

Yes, yes, of course you don't.

But if thats what you think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I
am not seriously. I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't
do it deliberately.

No, no, of course you don't.

But Ill go if it suits.

Please yourself either way. Perhaps you could explain the relevance to
diy of buying a plate on ebay before the door hits your arse on the way
out?

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

On usenet you could equally well be an asexual slime mould, no one can
tell the difference or, I suspect, care. If you want to pose as Amy the
Squirrel Killer by calling yourself "sweetheart" and acting as if you're
dumber than a rock you go right ahead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

There is for example, a fortune to be made out of fake Nazi memorabilia.
Not to mention anything 'gay' or vaguely associated with 'celebrities'

Yeah? Why don't you make a fortune then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

One side
effect of the web is that nobody can tell you're really a cat.

Like the side effect of Usenet is that no one can tell that you're a
hairy lorry driving onanist rather than a dim-witted housewife in fluffy
pink slippers carrying a smooth bore pistol, talking like James Mason
and killing squirrels. *******s!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
[...]

Where do you draw the line between bids, though? Ten seconds, a minute,
two minutes, five, an hour, a day.....

In each case, someone might lose out if they're a bit slow bidding. At
least the Ebay system has a known-to-all, fixed, cutoff time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

One side
effect of the web is that nobody can tell you're really a cat.

Like the side effect of Usenet is that no one can tell that you're a
hairy lorry driving onanist rather than a dim-witted housewife in fluffy
pink slippers carrying a smooth bore pistol, talking like James Mason
and killing squirrels. *******s!

Damn! You sussed me out! ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about. But if thats what
you think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I am not seriously.
I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't do it
deliberately. But Ill go if it suits.

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

We don't know or, by and large, care, whether you're male, female, a dog,
a cat or a little green alien from the planet K-Pax. All we know about you
is what you type.

From this side of the screen, it looks as if you're trying to generate
controversy.

You post in a newsgroup that has nothing to do with the subject of your
post, and get annoyed when people disagree with you.

I am not anoyed with anyone here. I am really surprised you say that. I
had understood and maybe I was wrong, that even though I can be a bit dim
and OK, this time off topic ( I did say so in my OP title) that it would be
OK. In a sense it is DIY to me because I have to do my own bidding on e bay
and dont know how.

Others here do and have cleared up my mistakes. How is that so bad? I had
thought I was welcome and that if people didnt want to answer they wouldnt
but obviously not. Sorry. I did say I was ranting at the beginning .

ebay Gman Electronics Repair 0 January 8th 11 05:22 AM
Yet another Ebay sap.. [email protected] Woodworking 57 November 21st 07 12:12 AM
Ebay Seller stanp2323 Worst Ebay Experience EVER be careful Bond[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 23rd 07 11:29 PM
Another eBay gem Dave Hinz Metalworking 14 May 1st 06 05:50 PM
OT - Anyone use Ebay? Cliff Metalworking 11 April 5th 06 04:18 PM