Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Ebay - OT

On Apr 10, 10:51 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I can't be bothered to read this. But 50 says you will metion a car or your
late Aunt.

This is possibly a rant but someone may be able to help this naive
stupid female here.
I have to say I don't like the concept of e bay anyway but I have
little choice .

I want to buy a decorative plate. I tried all the charity shops and
auctions and car boots locally ( I work cant travel forever) and
cant find one . I looked on the internet and I keep being referred to
e bay, so in desperation I decided to buy there.

Now I haven't managed to get a plate yet! Thats what annoys. Ebay seems to
be a rip off full of dealers buying up things and selling
them in their " shops" at what I suspect are inflated prices. Now I
might normally go to such a " shop" but now I am miffed and wont!

Long story. I saw a plate ( there are four or five available in
fact). Five days ago I put a bid in for the asking price which was
4.99 . Most of them are around that on e bay. This was the first
to finish. So I waited. No one else bid over me and I actually went to the
site
to wait it out so I could up the bid if anyone did come. I watched
it count down . Then right at the last second literally some b u
.... came and put in a bid 50p higher. I didn't have time to over bid.

Now I might have chalked that to experience except I then watched the
next three plates go down. Each time they went to this same buyer. He
( or she) is obviously a dealer!!!!! You don't need four tatty
decorative plates on your home wall ( believe me I am female I know)

If I could buy new I would but this plate was made in the 1970's. I
was too young then to even afford the 15 a new one would have cost.

I am annoyed now. I still want a plate and it still seems e bay is
the only place I will get one but I refuse to pay a dealer now on
principle. My problem is though, how do I know what is a reasonable bid
for
something? If I bought this tat in a charity shop I would pay (
probably) 5 - and I would rather do that but there are no plates in
the charity shops! If I go to a private buyer ( someone like myself
selling it off my own wall) I would be happy to pay them a decent
price but I don't know what that price is so how can I
a) find out what a reasonable price is to put it on the goods?
b) make sure I am not being ripped off by a dealer?

If I miss the next plate I go for it will be two weeks before the next
"auction" finishes and I can see myself in this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second. The next one is three days
time now. I have put in a bid but I need to know how much is too much
for a dealer but not a rip off for me?

I wouldn't mind but this seems common now. I had a similar experience
with my aunts house that I have just put on the market. These dealers
and builders etc. are dishonest in that they pretend to be ordinary
buyers which looking into it they clearly are not.

Rant over. Any help on the little problem would be appreciated.

--
Adam

Jim K