Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ebay - OT

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
John Williamson wrote:

One side
effect of the web is that nobody can tell you're really a cat.

Like the side effect of Usenet is that no one can tell that you're a
hairy lorry driving onanist rather than a dim-witted housewife in fluffy
pink slippers carrying a smooth bore pistol, talking like James Mason
and killing squirrels. *******s!

The slippers are a sort of mauve colour. I don't kill squirrels. I do put
bait down for rats occasionally in my out house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"John Williamson" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about. But if thats what
you think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I am not
seriously.
I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't do it
deliberately. But Ill go if it suits.

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

We don't know or, by and large, care, whether you're male, female, a dog,
a cat or a little green alien from the planet K-Pax. All we know about
you is what you type.

From this side of the screen, it looks as if you're trying to generate
controversy.

You post in a newsgroup that has nothing to do with the subject of your
post, and get annoyed when people disagree with you.

I am not anoyed with anyone here. I am really surprised you say that. I
had understood and maybe I was wrong, that even though I can be a bit dim
and OK, this time off topic ( I did say so in my OP title) that it would
be OK. In a sense it is DIY to me because I have to do my own bidding on e
bay and dont know how.

Others here do and have cleared up my mistakes. How is that so bad? I
had thought I was welcome and that if people didnt want to answer they
wouldnt but obviously not. Sorry. I did say I was ranting at the
beginning .

People here did say it would be Ok for me to ask dim stuff once. Sorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message
You post in a newsgroup that has nothing to do with the subject of
your post, and get annoyed when people disagree with you.

I am not anoyed with anyone here. I am really surprised you say that. I
had understood and maybe I was wrong, that even though I can be a bit
dim and OK, this time off topic ( I did say so in my OP title) that it
would be OK. In a sense it is DIY to me because I have to do my own
bidding on e bay and dont know how.

You come across as annoyed, but I'll leave that point.

Do it yourself here refers more to building and repairing domestic
equipment and homes. Everybody bids for themselves on Ebay, except those
that use software to do it for them. We all had to learn how it works.
There are groups that carry stuff relevant to Ebay, and you're more
likely to get help there.

Others here do and have cleared up my mistakes. How is that so bad? I
had thought I was welcome and that if people didnt want to answer they
wouldnt but obviously not. Sorry. I did say I was ranting at the
beginning .

You've generated a lot of heat, certainly.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:19:45 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

"Scott M" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

There is no market. Just one bloke buying them up.

So, assuming he's not just completely insane[1], why not make contact
with him and find where he sells them or how much he'd be willing to
sell you one for? He may have a real shop, an ebay shop or an online
webshop that you could then look at.

Principle. I am a stubborn pig headed female. I want to buy a plate
genuinely not have to beg to a bloke who took one off me. I w ould
rather pay £100 on ebay and out bid him than pay what he asks. So
there. Nothing more than I dont like what he is doing.

I dont think its right to go around picking them up and selling them on.

It's what people do, and have done for thousands of years, in the real
world.

I didn't really expect a last second bid after no interest except mine
for the last week and mine the only bid even placed.

Then you are naive about eBay - which is fair enough. That's the way it
works. It's a way of getting stuff for less and not driving the price up.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh look, you managed to sort out your quoting (sort of), the veil is
slipping trolly.

I really do not understand what you are talking about. But if thats
what you think I 'll go. I don't need to be called things I am not
seriously.
I said I realize I generate a lot of debate but I don't do it
deliberately. But Ill go if it suits.

I could say Its cos I is female innit?

We don't know or, by and large, care, whether you're male, female, a
dog, a cat or a little green alien from the planet K-Pax. All we know
about you is what you type.

From this side of the screen, it looks as if you're trying to
generate controversy.

You post in a newsgroup that has nothing to do with the subject of
your post, and get annoyed when people disagree with you.

I am not anoyed with anyone here. I am really surprised you say that.
I had understood and maybe I was wrong, that even though I can be a
bit dim and OK, this time off topic ( I did say so in my OP title)
that it would be OK. In a sense it is DIY to me because I have to do
my own bidding on e bay and dont know how.

Others here do and have cleared up my mistakes. How is that so bad?
I had thought I was welcome and that if people didnt want to answer
they wouldnt but obviously not. Sorry. I did say I was ranting at the
beginning .

People here did say it would be Ok for me to ask dim stuff once. Sorry.

Ask away, you've got your answers. There's no such thing as a stupid
question, but sometimes they get asked in the wrong place.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:25:35 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

"jgharston" wrote in message
gglz.com wrote:
To summarise this one:
Ebay doesn't work the way she *thinks* it should. She's upset.
Reality adjustment required.

In effect:
I went into Netto today and tried to buy some milk. It said 1.49 on the
bottle. I offered them 50p. They refused. How *dare* Netto not operate
as I think they should.

Not a good analogy though is it?

I offered the £1.49 and accepted that I might need to pay more. I went
to the check out and waited . Then the checkout girl swiped the milk
from me and gave it to another customer who hadnt been in the queue
before just because he said he would pay £2.00 for it. I didnt get the
option to offer £2.50.

You did, but you hadn't read the instructions. You bid the maximum amount
you are willing to pay.

And wait. You either get it for that price (or less), or you are outbid.
It doesn't matter when.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I never buy plates ( or anything) either. All I wanted was one plate (
out
of 10 or so there).
It seems like so much trouble to have to learn a game for one plate.
As for looking at auctions finishing at stupid times. I do have to
work and
wouldn't be able to be at the stupid timed auctions. The next one
finishes
at 3,00 am. I am going to get up for that ( not)

You don't have to. Decide what you're prepared to pay for the plate.
Enter that as your eBay bid. eBay will automatically increase your bid
to your maximum whether you're there or not.

Yes, I know, thats what I have done. So if I am outbid, believe me the
bloke has paid for it!
.

Or someone here, knowing your max bid, now bids £99.....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:40:14 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

Yes, I know, thats what I have done. So if I am outbid, believe me the
bloke has paid for it!
.

Or someone here, knowing your max bid, now bids £99.....

That'd be cruel. Fun, but cruel....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I do put bait down for rats

And DIYers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 5:16*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
*This is possibly a rant but someone may be able to help this naive stupid
female here.
I *have to say I don't like the concept of e bay anyway but I have little
choice .

I want to buy a decorative plate. I tried all the charity shops and auctions
and car boots locally ( I work cant travel forever) *and cant find one .. I
looked on the internet and I keep being referred to e bay, so in desperation
I decided to *buy there.

Now I haven't managed to get a plate yet! Thats what annoys. Ebay *seems to
be a rip off full of dealers buying up things and selling them in their "
shops" at what I suspect are inflated prices. *Now I might normally go to
such a " shop" but now I am miffed and wont!

Possibly true. The prices quoted in The Antiques Roadshow are
frequently way in excess of what I've seen similar items go for in
eBay. But bricks & mortar shops cost more to run.

Long story. Which I'll snip asneveryone's read it by now

I'm afraid life is such that there's a learning curve for everything.

eBay isn't the only UK auction site, and the less well known ones can
often offer bargains with no competing bidders; indeed I often feel
guilty that I've ripped off a seller. There are currently 76 wall
plates on eBid beginning at 60p starting price.[*]

Chris
--[*] Sign up using this link: http://uk.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?r...=register-main
and I'll get a Buddy Point. But I won't cry any tears of you don't --
I'll never collect enough to spend them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I was going to say something very like that

The other good thing about eBay is that it does let you very easily find out
the market price for really obscure stuff, the sort of thing which (even
with the internet) might take you quite a lot of research through special
interest groups, etc.

I have all sorts of stuff, for example a Weston 5 exposure meter, which I'm
never likely to use again but seems somehow too "good" to throw away. When I
have to downsize, eBay is almost certain to deliver me a better price than
anything else.

But if you are buying, it's also likely to be cheaper than going to dealers,
especially for items which come up reasonably regularly. If you let a few of
them "go" you are unlikely to get the very lowest auction price, but you
won't pay the prices that someone else has either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
wrote

Possibly true. The prices quoted in The Antiques Roadshow are
frequently way in excess of what I've seen similar items go for in
eBay. But bricks & mortar shops cost more to run.

You only have to watch some of the other daytime crap TV shows where the
same experts valuing the items have to either sell the items themselves
or offer advice others about what to buy to go to auction.

In the majority of cases the items never fetch their valuations (and are
worth even less when commission and charges are taken into account).

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

Or someone here, knowing your max bid, now bids £99.....

You know what I am bidding for then? How did you work that out, in the
thousands of plates on e bay? It could happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

Or someone here, knowing your max bid, now bids £99.....

You know what I am bidding for then? How did you work that out, in the
thousands of plates on e bay? It could happen.

It was a joke, as was my response to it. I hope it was a joke, anyway....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

You know what I am bidding for then? How did you work that out, in the
thousands of plates on e bay? It could happen.

We just searched Ebay for 70s crap.
--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

Five days ago I put a bid in for the asking price which was £4.99 .
Most of them are around that on e bay. This was the first to finish.
So I waited. No one else bid over me and I actually went to the site to
wait it out so I could up the bid if anyone did come. I watched it
count down . Then right at the last second literally some b u .... came
and put in a bid 50p higher. I didn't have time to over bid.

It's called sniping, it's a fairly successful (if a little selfish)
tactic to avoid getting into a bidding war with someone!

If I miss the next plate I go for it will be two weeks before the next
"auction" finishes and I can see myself in this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second.

If you don't bid early, the sniper night never bid at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , sweetheart
wrote

You know what I am bidding for then? How did you work that out, in the
thousands of plates on e bay? It could happen.

We just searched Ebay for 70s crap.

There's a lot of that. ;-)

Now look, nothing aggressive or whatever intended but I had a watch on a
clock ( another one following the one I said about). I had a vague idea I
might bid but didn't following my experience yesterday. Now its just gone
past and not a single bidder came in for it.

I ts plain crazy. I was put off from something I could have got because of
the experience yesterday and now no one wants anything more it seems ( by
the way this was a nicer clock than the other. Probably worth more).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
sweetheart wrote:

Five days ago I put a bid in for the asking price which was £4.99 .
Most of them are around that on e bay. This was the first to finish.
So I waited. No one else bid over me and I actually went to the site to
wait it out so I could up the bid if anyone did come. I watched it
count down . Then right at the last second literally some b u .... came
and put in a bid 50p higher. I didn't have time to over bid.

It's called sniping, it's a fairly successful (if a little selfish)
tactic to avoid getting into a bidding war with someone!

If I miss the next plate I go for it will be two weeks before the next
"auction" finishes and I can see myself in this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second.

If you don't bid early, the sniper night never bid at all.

Yeah I have just realized that - and I didn't bid either. On a clock I saw
that went down two minutes ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
sweetheart wrote:

this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second.

If you don't bid early, the sniper night never bid at all.

Which begs the question, why do they do it then? Bid on something someone
else has a bid on but not on something with no bids?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 in message
sweetheart wrote:

Now look, nothing aggressive or whatever intended but I had a watch on a
clock ( another one following the one I said about). I had a vague idea I
might bid but didn't following my experience yesterday. Now its just gone
past and not a single bidder came in for it.

Bidding on eBay is simple surely - when you find what you want you decide
the maximum you are willing to pay, enter that amount and leave eBay to
bid for you.
You either 'win' it or you don't, but you won't pay more than you think
something is worth.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:13:53 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
sweetheart wrote:

this position every time
beaten by a dealer at the last second.

If you don't bid early, the sniper night never bid at all.

Which begs the question, why do they do it then? Bid on something
someone else has a bid on but not on something with no bids?

Because they probably booked an automatic snipe on that item when the
item was first listed.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 10/04/2011 in message
sweetheart wrote:

Now look, nothing aggressive or whatever intended but I had a watch on a
clock ( another one following the one I said about). I had a vague idea I
might bid but didn't following my experience yesterday. Now its just gone
past and not a single bidder came in for it.

Bidding on eBay is simple surely - when you find what you want you decide
the maximum you are willing to pay, enter that amount and leave eBay to
bid for you.
You either 'win' it or you don't, but you won't pay more than you think
something is worth.

It seems simple until someone comes and messes it up.

Anyway, it looks like I am about to own two plates. I just bid for and got
another one. No one bid on that either. Got it for very little. after all
that - and I still have a bid left on one in 2 days time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , tim....
wrote

Possibly true. The prices quoted in The Antiques Roadshow are
frequently way in excess of what I've seen similar items go for in
eBay. But bricks & mortar shops cost more to run.

You only have to watch some of the other daytime crap TV shows where the
same experts valuing the items have to either sell the items themselves or
offer advice others about what to buy to go to auction.

In the majority of cases the items never fetch their valuations (and are
worth even less when commission and charges are taken into account).

That's the fault of the show's format.

People buy specialist stuff and then sell it in a general auction.

It's not a surprise that it doesn't reach its valuation

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

Now look, nothing aggressive or whatever intended but I had a watch on
a clock ( another one following the one I said about). I had a vague
idea I might bid but didn't following my experience yesterday. Now its
just gone past and not a single bidder came in for it.

Bidding on eBay is simple surely - when you find what you want you
decide the maximum you are willing to pay, enter that amount and leave
eBay to bid for you.
You either 'win' it or you don't, but you won't pay more than you think
something is worth.

It seems simple until someone comes and messes it up.

They didn't mess it up. If they bid very late, unless they bid more than
your maximum bid, you won't lose it.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote

Anyway, it looks like I am about to own two plates.
and I still have a bid left on one in 2 days time.

Bloody dealers, buying up all the plates.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , sweetheart
wrote

Anyway, it looks like I am about to own two plates.
and I still have a bid left on one in 2 days time.

Bloody dealers, buying up all the plates.

Well I stand by that. A dealer was buying up all those that came up
yesterday.

As I said originally there were 10 there I counted - all the one I want.
Spread over three days.

Three ended yesterday. I bid on one. The dealer bid and took all three.
Seems today he isnt interested as I have bought ( just like that ) a plate -
cheaper than the ones he bid on yesterday. I had / have a bid in for a plate
( same again) in two days time. It remains to be seen if I get it or not.
But today, there were no other bidders. I chanced it after seing a clock go
unsold just beforehand. Yet another clock yesterday was bid on by several
buyers ( identical cliock).

Is this because its a sunny Sunday? I thought snipers worked all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

If you don't bid early, the sniper night never bid at all.

Which begs the question, why do they do it then? Bid on something
someone else has a bid on but not on something with no bids?

Sometimes it might be a shill bidder, i.e. the seller bids on his own
item from another account to bump the price up, or someone conspires
with the seller to do the same, eBay claim to stamp down on it, I'm not
sure how strongly ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound :
The other good thing about eBay is that it does let you very easily
find out the market price for really obscure stuff, the sort of thing
which (even with the internet) might take you quite a lot of research
through special interest groups, etc.

I have all sorts of stuff, for example a Weston 5 exposure meter, which
I'm never likely to use again but seems somehow too "good" to throw
away. When I have to downsize, eBay is almost certain to deliver me a
better price than anything else.

But if you are buying, it's also likely to be cheaper than going to
dealers, especially for items which come up reasonably regularly. If
you let a few of them "go" you are unlikely to get the very lowest
auction price, but you won't pay the prices that someone else has
either.

Agreed to all that. As a way of recycling your old stuff, it's hard to
beat.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F :
It's very simple. When nobody bids for about a minute after the time
the auction was due to close, the auction closes.
So, an auction may continue for a few more minutes and get a better
price for the seller, and Ebay could get a higher commission. But they
don't, because they have not thought of extending auctions.

I don't believe for one moment that eBay hasn't thought of extending
auctions. Of *course* they've thought about it. And they've decided
against it, obviously, even if their reasons aren't obvious to you.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know this may sound conspiracy theory but there is something strange on
the auctions yesterday ( with the plate I wanted and others like it).

I checked the past (completed) auctions for prices as was suggested.

Of all the plates over the last few days ( all the same one - remeber I said
it was common enough) there are several not bid on at all ( mostly those
over £6.50) .

All those yesterday when I bid have gone for £4.99 ( except the one I got
sniped on which had to rise to £5.19) and the buyer has been the same
dealer each time. In two other instances he over bid another bidder ( not
me).

But at the same time there is a whole raft of plates he didnt bid on and
which didnt get sold - so why did he have to bid on plates with bids on and
not those without?

Today, I have bid for a plate ( because I now know the rules ) and got it
for the entry price. No other bidders.

But yesterday was so odd - he bid on all those with another bidder it seems
and left the un bid ones alone and unsold as well as the high priced ones.
It was the same dealer each time and only him who did the over bidding.
Go figure that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "sweetheart"
says...
Now I haven't managed to get a plate yet! Thats what annoys. Ebay seems to
be a rip off full of dealers buying up things and selling them in their "
shops" at what I suspect are inflated prices. Now I might normally go to
such a " shop" but now I am miffed and wont!

So what's the problem? IF they don't sell then they've lost money. If
they do then the prices aren't "inflated", they're what that segment of
the market will bear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-04-10, John Rumm wrote:

As an example, have a look at:

http://www.auctionsentry.com/

The posh version can be cued up with a list of auctions and maximum
bids. It can then snipe on a series of them, stopping when it wins one.

And that makes it worthwhile, since it is impossible to bid on a series
of items on eBay with the intent of acquiring one and only one of them.

I have used bidnapper for exactly that purpose, too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

firefox / Tools / Addons
get Addons
MyIbay auction bid sniper

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

http://www.auctionsentry.com/

Windows only. (

I use esnipe.com - which has the same concept of "auction groups", but is
a totally cloudy service, meaning that as well as being platform-
agnostic, it isn't reliant on your internet connection or clock to place
the bid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2011 15:36, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 10/04/2011 in message
sweetheart wrote:

Now look, nothing aggressive or whatever intended but I had a watch on
a clock ( another one following the one I said about). I had a vague
idea I might bid but didn't following my experience yesterday. Now its
just gone past and not a single bidder came in for it.

Bidding on eBay is simple surely - when you find what you want you
decide the maximum you are willing to pay, enter that amount and leave
eBay to bid for you.

And don't bid straight away, wait until shortly before it's due to end
but without going to the extreme of sitting at your PC at the very last
minute. Although it won't make any difference if anyone else has put in
their maximum price it will reduce the chance of the final selling price
being ratcheted up by people who are unaware of the auto bid mechanism
and keeps manually putting in a series of bids just 50p above the latest
advertised bid.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

It seems simple until someone comes and messes it up.

Anyway, it looks like I am about to own two plates. I just bid for and
got another one. No one bid on that either. Got it for very little.
after all that - and I still have a bid left on one in 2 days time.

You used to be able[1] to cancel bids (probably with a limitation of not
less than 24 hours from the end of an auction) so you don't have to end
up with two.

[1] ie Can't be bothered to see if it's still possible.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "sweetheart" hotmail.com saying
something like:

I wouldn't be so angry had it not been in the very last second. I left a bid
days ago and no one else showed any remote interest over that time so I had
no idea I needed to offer silly money to ensure it.

That's sniping; live with it. I snipe on every auction because it avoids
bidding fever and being at the PC for the finish time and if I don't
happen to win an item (by being out-sniped), so what? There's always
another one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "sweetheart" hotmail.com saying
something like:

I am obsessed because what he did was a cheat ( autosnipe).

Cock. Utter, utter cock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 10:19*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"Scott M" wrote in message

sweetheart wrote:

There is no market. Just one bloke buying them up.

So, assuming he's not just completely insane[1], why not make contact with
him and find where he sells them or how much he'd be willing to sell you
one for? He may have a real shop, an ebay shop or an online webshop that
you could then look at.

Principle. I am a stubborn pig headed female.

You missed out "whinging" and a few others.

I want to buy a plate
genuinely not have to beg to a bloke who took one off me. *I w ould rather
pay 100 on ebay and out bid *him than pay what he asks.

So, FFS, put in a maximum bid of £100 and stop whinging.

MB

ebay Gman Electronics Repair 0 January 8th 11 05:22 AM
Yet another Ebay sap.. [email protected] Woodworking 57 November 21st 07 12:12 AM
Ebay Seller stanp2323 Worst Ebay Experience EVER be careful Bond[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 23rd 07 11:29 PM
Another eBay gem Dave Hinz Metalworking 14 May 1st 06 05:50 PM
OT - Anyone use Ebay? Cliff Metalworking 11 April 5th 06 04:18 PM