Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea Wooden shelving - OTish question

Hi all
many of you will know the cheap & cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30058508

Now IIRC Ikea changed the design of this some years ago - the newer stuff is
significantly lighter weight than the original, with smaller screws etc.

What I'm not sure about is if the older stuff had the same name (Gorm), or a
different one. I'd like to find some old stuff to match what I currently
have, and am not sure if I need to search for a dffereent term.

Thanks for any pointers

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nokia chargers

We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters.
Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an
adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters.
Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an
adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?

I've had one that went the other way. Special offer at PC World a while ago.

The problem with old Nokia adaptors is that they use 3.7 or 5.7 volts,
and the phones are reasonably picky about what they accept. The miniUSB
seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the
last couple ofyears.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
The miniUSB
seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the
last couple ofyears.

That'll be because it's become a standard!

http://www.mobile-computing-news.co..../micro-usb-to-
become-phone-charger-standard.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/11 19:42, S Viemeister wrote:
We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters.
Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an
adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?

I think old phone chargers can be used to run LED lights,
but i'm not an expert on this.
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/5/2011 3:15 PM, John Williamson wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini
adapters. Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is
there an adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the
new phones?

I've had one that went the other way. Special offer at PC World a while
ago.

The problem with old Nokia adaptors is that they use 3.7 or 5.7 volts,
and the phones are reasonably picky about what they accept. The miniUSB
seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the
last couple ofyears.

I've just found one, made by Nokia.
CA-146C - it's compatible with AC4, AC5, DC9, ACP12/AC10, etc, and
accepts both the 2.0mm and 3.5mm chargers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

many of you will know the cheap & cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30058508

Now IIRC Ikea changed the design of this some years ago - the newer stuff is
significantly lighter weight than the original, with smaller screws etc.

What I'm not sure about is if the older stuff had the same name (Gorm), or a
different one. I'd like to find some old stuff to match what I currently
have, and am not sure if I need to search for a dffereent term.

The old stuff was Sten. Definitely much better than the
value-engineered replacement.

Good hunting ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

The Night Tripper wrote:

many of you will know the cheap & cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30058508

Now IIRC Ikea changed the design of this some years ago - the newer stuff is
significantly lighter weight than the original, with smaller screws etc.

What I'm not sure about is if the older stuff had the same name (Gorm), or a
different one. I'd like to find some old stuff to match what I currently
have, and am not sure if I need to search for a dffereent term.

The old stuff was Sten. Definitely much better than the
value-engineered replacement.

Odd. I bought some of this in 1980 or so (i.e., 30-odd years ago) to set
up as shelving for a theatre group in Geneva. More recently (2005) I
bought a load for home use. My recollection is that it was just the same
- or has it changed since 2005?

Yes it has. I can't give you an actual date, but Sten was
discontinued, and Gorm appeared in its place with, as TNT wrote,
smaller section timber and smaller bolts. They no longer
advertise the massive loading capacity they used to have.

Presumably, they reasoned that if most customers were using it
for books rather than engine blocks, they could save money.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

The old stuff was Sten. Definitely much better than the
value-engineered replacement.

Odd. I bought some of this in 1980 or so (i.e., 30-odd years ago) to set
up as shelving for a theatre group in Geneva. More recently (2005) I
bought a load for home use. My recollection is that it was just the same
- or has it changed since 2005?

I think that was roughly when Ikea replaced Sten with the inferior stuff
(which still cost the same). We moved house 2005/06 and couldn't get
any more of it for the new, larger, shed+attic, so I had to cut up some
cheap rubbish modular shelving I had lying around (DoItAll IIRC) to fit
the space.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi all
many of you will know the cheap & cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30058508

Now IIRC Ikea changed the design of this some years ago - the newer stuff is
significantly lighter weight than the original, with smaller screws etc.

What I'm not sure about is if the older stuff had the same name (Gorm), or a
different one. I'd like to find some old stuff to match what I currently
have, and am not sure if I need to search for a dffereent term.

In case it helps, the Gorm style shelves are the simplest to diy from
odds & ends of timber. I have done some beefier ones using 95x18
verticals, 50mm sq front to back shelf supports and solid 18mm sheathing
ply or osb decks (depending which is cheapest at the time). Coachscrews
from Toolstation.

Btw, were you aware that you hijacked the Nokia chargers thread when
writing your o/p?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 5, 9:47*pm, Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...

The miniUSB
seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the
last couple ofyears.

That'll be because it's become a standard!

http://www.mobile-computing-news.co..../micro-usb-to-
become-phone-charger-standard.html

Only because China did what the EU *could* have done years ago, and
made it law. Clearly any talk of natural resources is complete guff,
if simple tasks like mandating charger design to prevent every phone
needing it's own charger aren't addressed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/11 19:16, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
many of you will know the cheap& cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

What does this have to do with Nokia Chargers? Why did you reply to that
question with a question about Ikea?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:47 pm, Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...

The miniUSB
seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most phones the
last couple ofyears.

That'll be because it's become a standard!

http://www.mobile-computing-news.co..../micro-usb-to-
become-phone-charger-standard.html

Only because China did what the EU *could* have done years ago, and
made it law. Clearly any talk of natural resources is complete guff,
if simple tasks like mandating charger design to prevent every phone
needing it's own charger aren't addressed.

The phrase "natural resources" and/or *_any_* talk of being "green" or
"eco-friendly" should never be used with reference to the mobile phone
industry anyway. I can't think of any other industry that's quite as
wasteful as them when they automatically give everyone a brand new phone
just on renewal of contract. What's wrong with their old phone? They've only
had it 12 or 18 months FFS!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that there's over 90 MILLION mobile
phones in the UK. There should be a law that makes everyone use their
existing phone until it's beyond economic repair then they can have a new
one. Personally, I believe that all this global warming, green eco-********
stuff is crap and that the planet is just going through natural thermal
cycling, but even I can see that so many resources going into needless
mobile phones is plain wrong.

Rant over :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Yes it has. I can't give you an actual date, but Sten was
discontinued, and Gorm appeared in its place with, as TNT wrote,
smaller section timber and smaller bolts. They no longer
advertise the massive loading capacity they used to have.

OK ... applies spanner to shelving ... the stuff I have uses bolts
needing a 10mm open or hex spanner. What does that make it? I certainly
purchased it late 2004 / early 2005.

Presumably, they reasoned that if most customers were using it
for books rather than engine blocks, they could save money.

Drat, I'll have to continue keeping them in the bath.

It sounds like you have good old Sten.

The easiest way to differentiate is the shelf construction. Sten
longitudinal shelf timbers sit on top of the square section
crosspiece to which they are nailed. Gorm crosspieces are
rebated, with the longitudes sitting flush.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for the comments:

Yep, 'Sten' rings a bell, and in fact I found a reference to it
in the archives of this very group.

I might well end up building some as fred suggests. I need quite a stack of
shelves of the deeper kind. They probably won't be as cheap as the
originals, but with OSB shouldn't be too bad.

Some of my other shelves are of the later Sten variety, I think. I remember
noticing the coachbolts were of different sizes and got to investigating.
I'll measure them bosth up and post some dimensions. Though I don't remember
the shelves being rebated - the lateral pieces are square on both styles
IIRC. Could be wrong.

And apologies for hijacking the 'Nokia Chargers' thread. That wasn't my
intention, and I hadn't realised it had happeend until sometime later.

Thanks again
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 6, 1:18*pm, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 05/04/11 19:16, The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi all
* * *many of you will know the cheap& *cheerful Ikea 'Gorm' wooden shelving,
useful for garage storage etc.

What does this have to do with Nokia Chargers? Why did you reply to that
question with a question about Ikea?

You've got to store them, somewhere.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Night Tripper writes
Thanks all for the comments:

Yep, 'Sten' rings a bell, and in fact I found a reference to it
in the archives of this very group.

I might well end up building some as fred suggests. I need quite a stack of
shelves of the deeper kind. They probably won't be as cheap as the
originals, but with OSB shouldn't be too bad.

I think I managed 5 bays for 120-150quid when I did my last set. 4
shelves (900x590) per bay using up about a sheet per bay. Bought from
B&Q to get free cuts. Their rough sawn outdoorish grade planks were fine
for the verticals once hand picked to remove the dross. About a day to
run up and build. The earlier ones used basic softwood faced ply for the
shelves which is a nicer finish but the OSB ones are ok and the surface
hasn't broken up through wear.

Some of my other shelves are of the later Sten variety, I think. I remember
noticing the coachbolts were of different sizes and got to investigating.
I'll measure them bosth up and post some dimensions. Though I don't remember
the shelves being rebated - the lateral pieces are square on both styles
IIRC. Could be wrong.

I had need to extend an existing set by one bay and was able to bodge
that together. I think the shelf depths are the same but the bay widths
are different, from memory I had an original shelf at the top and a new
one at the bottom which I extended with a metal plates.

And apologies for hijacking the 'Nokia Chargers' thread. That wasn't my
intention, and I hadn't realised it had happeend until sometime later.

Yep, follow up and changing the subject still leaves the 'refs' header
which spoils it. Don't know what the new thread hotkey is for your
reader.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim.... wrote:
The problem with old Nokia adaptors is that they use 3.7 or 5.7 volts,
and the phones are reasonably picky about what they accept. The
miniUSB seems to have become a fairly standard connector for most
phones the last couple ofyears.

as per EU edict

Let's have the same for laptops.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2011 19:42, S Viemeister wrote:
We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters.
Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an
adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?

Your new phone will have a USB cable supplied with it. Why not simply
charge your phone by connecting it via the cable to a USB port in a
computer or in a main/usb adapter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/7/2011 10:08 AM, Rob wrote:
On 05/04/2011 19:42, S Viemeister wrote:
We have an ample supply of Nokia wall and car chargers with the round
connectors, both large and mini, and a couple of large-to-mini adapters.
Our new phones, however, use a miniature USB connector. Is there an
adapter available to allow use of the old chargers with the new phones?

Your new phone will have a USB cable supplied with it. Why not simply
charge your phone by connecting it via the cable to a USB port in a
computer or in a main/usb adapter?

My new phone did not have a USB cable.
It did have a charger, but I like keeping chargers at the various places
they may be needed, rather than just having the one, and packing it in
my bag.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 3:08*pm, Rob wrote:
Your new phone will have a USB cable supplied with it. Why not simply
charge your phone by connecting it via the cable to a USB port in a
computer or in a main/usb adapter?

Unfortunately its not quite as simple as it seems. The phone is not
allowed to draw very much current unless it has negotiated this with
the host computer. Some phones ignore the rules and take the power
anyway, but others do not. The negotiation will usually only succeed
if drivers specific to that phone manufacturer have been installed.

Even wall chargers have some surprising behaviours. Originally there
was no standard for USB chargers, so there had to be some way of
telling the phone using hardware alone that it was OK to draw the full
charging current from a simple wall charger. Apple went one way with
iPods and Motorola another. The Apple approach was to use a resistor
network to set voltages on the D+ and D- signals that would never
occur in normal USB operation. The Motorola approach (for Mini-USB)
used a 200k pullup resistor to V+ on the sense pin of the mini
connector which was originally intended for On-The-Go negotiation
(which was itself unaffected by this high value). It was a nightmare
trying to design chargers that would work with everything.

Then the Chinese banged the mobile phone manufacturers' heads together
and a few months later the USB Consortium proposed a new standard
which was very simple and quite elegant but incompatible with both the
main de-facto standards (probably so nobody would lose out
commercially). All new phones for sale in China would use the new
micro-USB connector in conjunction with a new way of sensing wall
chargers but still retaining the software negotiation capability for
use with PCs.

The wall charger has a link between D+ and D- and if there is no
attached cable it must use a USB-A (large flat) socket. Adapter
cables can be plugged into this to convert to mini- or micro-USB. If
there is an attached cable it must be mini- or micro-USB but for
phones in China or the EU only micro USB is allowed. The nice thing
about this is that old Apple or Motorola products and their clones can
use a modern wall charger by means of an adapter cable fitted with the
appropriate resistors.

Once all this was worked out, the EU came up with an identical
requirement to bring the smaller manufacturers on board. As already
mentioned in this thread, the large manufacturers had already decided
what they were going to do as they didn't want to be left out of
China.

This is a simplification - for more information read the standards.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Fred
Thanks for the info

In case anyone is that interested, here are the sizes of Gorm (old) and Sten
(new) shelving uprights.

Gorm: 19mm x 90mm, Coach Screws have head of ~1.5mm AF
Sten: 15mm x 90mm, coach screws ~9.5mm AF

Sorry, haven't had time to take the screws out to measure any better than
that. Let me know offline if you *really* want to know any other
measurements...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi Fred
Thanks for the info

In case anyone is that interested, here are the sizes of Gorm (old) and
Sten (new) shelving uprights.

Gorm: 19mm x 90mm, Coach Screws have head of ~1.5mm AF

1.5mm seems unlikely.

oh, all right then, ~10.5mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Walliker wrote:

The wall charger has a link between D+ and D- and if there is no
attached cable it must use a USB-A (large flat) socket. Adapter
cables can be plugged into this to convert to mini- or micro-USB. If
there is an attached cable it must be mini- or micro-USB but for
phones in China or the EU only micro USB is allowed. The nice thing
about this is that old Apple or Motorola products and their clones can
use a modern wall charger by means of an adapter cable fitted with the
appropriate resistors.

Will the adaptor cables be clearly marked so as not to be able to
be confused with the standard equivalent?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 6:57*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Will the adaptor cables be clearly marked so as not to be able to
be confused with the standard equivalent?

I suspect that the manufacturers would rather we bought replacement
equipment, so I doubt that there will be many of these cables around
to confuse people.

John

USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 6 August 7th 10 11:33 AM
RC chargers bin li Electronics Repair 0 September 29th 09 04:53 AM
I need service mode and Schematics for nokia Nokia TV 7198 FX71L1 Lucky Electronics Repair 2 April 26th 04 01:17 PM