Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB chargers

How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB lead and
device I want into it without worry?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB lead
and device I want into it without worry?

Yep.

USB on a computer usually puts out either 500mA or 100mA, with the device
"selecting". If you've got an unpowered hub, it's 100mA max. Stuff like
USB-powered scanners or HDDs needs more. Some phones need more to charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB lead and
device I want into it without worry?

I would have thought so (although I'm not 100% sure I understood the
question).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 1:38*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB lead and
device I want into it without worry?

I would have thought so (although I'm not 100% sure I understood the
question).

I think it refers to wall warts that have a USB socket, rather than
charging from a USB host.

They are all 5V so it's fine.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 4, 1:38 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

How much difference will it make to mix and match my USB chargers?

Some are rated 1A and others as low as 0.1A.

Can I just leave the 1A one in the socket and plug whichever USB
lead and device I want into it without worry?

I would have thought so (although I'm not 100% sure I understood the
question).

I think it refers to wall warts that have a USB socket, rather than
charging from a USB host.

They are all 5V so it's fine.

MBQ

It is about the wall mart type chargers. One came with the digital camera,
another with the sat nav another with the video camera etc.

I just want to laeve the latst one plugged into the wall socket and change
USB leads as and when needed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

It is about the wall mart type chargers. One came with the digital camera,
another with the sat nav another with the video camera etc.

I just want to laeve the latst one plugged into the wall socket and change
USB leads as and when needed.

Yeah, just pick the beefiest out of the lot (e.g. newer phones can suck
up to 1000mA from a suitable charger, using "signalling" resistors
between the pins to indicate htis) and you should be fine, saves keeping
a whole row of wall warts warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
ARWadsworth wrote:

It is about the wall mart type chargers. One came with the digital camera,
another with the sat nav another with the video camera etc.

I just want to laeve the latst one plugged into the wall socket and change
USB leads as and when needed.

Yeah, just pick the beefiest out of the lot (e.g. newer phones can suck
up to 1000mA from a suitable charger, using "signalling" resistors
between the pins to indicate htis) and you should be fine, saves keeping
a whole row of wall warts warm.

Be careful with ones for mobile phones. Before signalling resistors
were introduced to the USB spec, some of these generated 5.5V to signal
to the phone that they had high current availability so the phone knew
it could charge at 1A or more. A standard USB outlet is 100mA/500mA max
and 5.25V max, and if charged from that, the phone reduces its current
draw to standard USB levels. The 5.5V phone adapters are over the max
USB spec and could in theory cause problems if used to power other USB
devices not designed for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

RC chargers bin li Electronics Repair 0 September 29th 09 04:53 AM
Trickle Chargers? Duff[_2_] Home Repair 2 April 8th 08 04:05 PM
polarity and chargers Renata Woodworking 8 February 3rd 06 04:43 PM
do Vid Cam Chargers Measure I ? jack Electronics 0 December 2nd 04 06:43 AM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM