Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fit electrical back box if there is no back?!?

I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 6:11*pm, "Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote:
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Either use sand & cement or filler to stick it in place, or else screw
it sideways into the inner wall leaf.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 6:11*pm, "Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote:
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Could you use a "dry lining" box intended for plasterboard?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Mounting_Boxes

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell spam@away wrote:
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut /
chiselled out the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box,
the brick fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no
place to secure the back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Is that an external wall?

However, I would try to get a piece of timber into the hole that is longer
than the horizontal bit of the hole and screw it to the wall and then screw
the backbox to the timber.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:11:06 -0000
"Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote:

I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut /
chiselled out the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box,
the brick fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no
place to secure the back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

18mm plywood. Drill two 20mm holes in it, put in a bit of string
between the holes. Wiggle it into place in the cavity with one end
behind each end of the back box cavity. While holding in position with
the string, put spray-foam nozzle into holes and get a big blob of foam
behind the wood and over to the outer wall leaf. Wait in this
excruciatingly painful position for about 10 minutes while the
spray-foam goes off. Tomorrow screw the back box onto the plywood.

Insulation, penance, and a good back-box in one.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2011 18:11, Steven Campbell wrote:
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Looks like a nice clean hole. Stick it with Gripfill to the
brick/block-work which surrounds it. It won't move once the Gripfill cures.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2011 18:11, Steven Campbell wrote:
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Piece of timber longer than the hole is wide, large screw in middle to
give you something to hold.

Large blob of Gripfil on the ends that will contact wall.

Feed in diagonally, pull towards you & hold until Gripfil grabs enough.
Leave to dry & remove screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote in message
o.uk...
I was installing a twin socket in a brick wall and had cut / chiselled out
the brick ready for the back box.
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the
brick fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to
secure the back box!!
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...sa1/socket.jpg
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Guys as usual thanks very much for the varying suggestions
I'll just answer the lot here if that's ok..
Yes its an external wall. Which an extension has been built on to. However
the brick is only one skin thick here which I didn't know. It seems to have
been the old back door that they have bricked up. The other side is
plasterboard at 13 inches away so I think that might be just too much for
expanding foam.
A dry-lining box works by the lugs grabbing the plasterboard. Unfortunately
there would be nothing for them to grab.
I like the idea of just "grip filling" it in as the box is a tight fit
anyway.
Or the suggestion of a Piece of wood at the back with grip fill and screwing
on to that.

Thanks again for the numerous suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jgharston wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box,
the brick fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no
place to secure the back box!!

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

My brother in law was chasing a cable run into his bathroom wall for an
electric shower when an entire breeze block fell through into the bedroom
next door. It fell onto the bed where a wrapped-up wedding present was lying
(an expensive Dartington Crystal fruit bowl). Smashed it to pieces!

Still - good job there was no-one in bed...

--
Triff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

Don't you mean 'Amazons' ! Impressed that one of the fair sex is
doing this sort of thing; there's no way I could get my wife to do
that.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
Don't you mean 'Amazons' ! *Impressed that one of the fair sex is
doing this sort of thing; there's no way I could get my wife to do
that.

She does most of the chiselling, first-fix plastering, painting
and decorating. My brother does most of the cable drawing,
wet plumbing and final fix plastering. I do the wiring and testing.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston ) wibbled on Friday 11 March 2011 13:40:

robgraham wrote:
Don't you mean 'Amazons' ! Impressed that one of the fair sex is
doing this sort of thing; there's no way I could get my wife to do
that.

She does most of the chiselling, first-fix plastering, painting
and decorating. My brother does most of the cable drawing,
wet plumbing and final fix plastering. I do the wiring and testing.

JGH

bowsdown we are not worthy! /bowsdown

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2011 22:46, jgharston wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

JGH

I've done that - a couple of days after decorating the other room

The funny one though was when we had cavity wall insulation put in. The
whole house is cavity wall, except for one small section - they totally
filled the electricity cupboard! Luckily it was a blown fibre and could
easily be removed.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 10/03/2011 22:52, Nick Leverton wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
As I was drilling the remainder of the brick to hold the back box, the brick
fell into the cavity so I'm now left with a hole with no place to secure the
back box!!

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back
box when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

A decent SDS drill makes it child's play... I can do a double socket
cutout in brick in 10 mins these days.

Bit more of an amateur here with a Screwfix special SDS, plus our
bricks hereabouts have extra hard but brittle inclusions in (I warned
the electrician who rewired previous property to bring his extra-hard
chasing tool and he didn't believe me !).

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 10:52*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

You need to get yourself an SDS drill with chisel bit. It really is
the proverbial 'hot knife through butter' for this task...

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:52*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

You need to get yourself an SDS drill with chisel bit. It really is
the proverbial 'hot knife through butter' for this task...

Have got one, but I spend ages battering through an inclusion to get the
damn socket to sit level and then the brittle thingy goes and busts that
half of the brick away ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:35:04 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Feed in diagonally, pull towards you & hold until Gripfil grabs enough.
Leave to dry & remove screw.

or s/gripfill/1-part PU/

--
John Stumbles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:46:43 -0800, jgharston wrote:

You're lucky. My sister-in-law was chiselling out a hole for a back box
when the bricks fell out into the next-door room leaving a nice
brick-shaped hole through the wall.

We were fixing a stout batten to a flimsy wall and put several 8mm holes
in nice and deep - full depth of the drill bit - to get 2 grey wallplugs
into each hole. Right length screws and you've got a really strong
fitting.

Then went into the kitchen next door to put the kettle on and realised
that an entire run of tiles on the other side was lying on the floor. The
tiling was hollow-sounding anyway, and the drill bit had just gone
through the 75mm block wall on each hole!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Nick Leverton
saying something like:

All these herculeans are welcome to come round and dig us out some back
boxes, I've done two rooms of this brick so far and not looking forwards
to the rest !

Bugger that, you need a nice Armeg, you do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
Then went into the kitchen next door to put the kettle on and realised
that an entire run of tiles on the other side was lying on the floor. The
tiling was hollow-sounding anyway, and the drill bit had just gone
through the 75mm block wall on each hole!

The previous owner of my house 30 years ago was putting
cupboards up in the kitchen and drilled the requisite holes
and pushed wallplugs into them. A few minutes later her
neighbour came round to return the wallplugs that she'd
discovered in /her/ kitchen.

JGH