Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lights fade & pop back on -- Electrical Gurus??

In the past few weeks, noticed that the "light bar" above the bathroom
sink is having a problem.

It's a set of three 60-watt bulbs in a somewhat standard "bathroom
fixture" outlet that I bought some 8-9 years ago and installed myself
to replace the old three 60-watt bulb fixture that my wife hated.

So, all three bulbs will dim down....and this is a pure guess....to
about 50 percent of their normal light output for ---oh 1/3 to 1/2 a
second and then pop back to full brightness.

Then, anywhere from 3-7 seconds later, they repeat. This can go on in
cycle for 20 minutes or more.

At other times, no problem...

This has been going on for a month or two....Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
In the past few weeks, noticed that the "light bar" above the bathroom
sink is having a problem.

It's a set of three 60-watt bulbs in a somewhat standard "bathroom
fixture" outlet that I bought some 8-9 years ago and installed myself
to replace the old three 60-watt bulb fixture that my wife hated.

So, all three bulbs will dim down....and this is a pure guess....to
about 50 percent of their normal light output for ---oh 1/3 to 1/2 a
second and then pop back to full brightness.

Then, anywhere from 3-7 seconds later, they repeat. This can go on in
cycle for 20 minutes or more.

At other times, no problem...

This has been going on for a month or two....Any ideas?

If this problem is not showing up anywhere else in the house I suggest that
you take the fixture down and check your connections. You should also check
the connections at the switch. It's possible that the switch could be bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 7:23 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

If this problem is not showing up anywhere else in the house I suggest that
you take the fixture down and check your connections. You should also check
the connections at the switch. It's possible that the switch could be bad.

I was afraid of that answer LOL.

Yes, this is the only place I am aware of....To me it seems as if
after the light has been on for awhile that it finally goes away,
telling me that "heat" may make it disappear, which may mean heat
causes expansion, a loose wire that was Loose when cold then gets
enough of a seal when hot....

Anyway, I know very little about electricity, so I am just making some
very wild guesses here. So, guess next step is to pull down light,
check the wire nuts, etc.

If all good, check the switch...sigh....

I'll keep everyone posted on the results...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I agree with John. You didn't mention if the light was controlled by a
switch or dimmer. If it's a dimmer I would check that first, then pretty
much check all connections

wrote in message
ups.com...
In the past few weeks, noticed that the "light bar" above the bathroom
sink is having a problem.

It's a set of three 60-watt bulbs in a somewhat standard "bathroom
fixture" outlet that I bought some 8-9 years ago and installed myself
to replace the old three 60-watt bulb fixture that my wife hated.

So, all three bulbs will dim down....and this is a pure guess....to
about 50 percent of their normal light output for ---oh 1/3 to 1/2 a
second and then pop back to full brightness.

Then, anywhere from 3-7 seconds later, they repeat. This can go on in
cycle for 20 minutes or more.

At other times, no problem...

This has been going on for a month or two....Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 5:24 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
I agree with John. You didn't mention if the light was controlled by a
switch or dimmer. If it's a dimmer I would check that first, then pretty
much check all connections

Lights on a regular switch. I remember having to make a quirky
installation. The original switch was outside the bathroom, on the
bedroom wall. But the cutout went straight through into the bathroom
and on the bathroom side was covered with a blank faceplate.

So, I removed the wall swtich from the bedroom and put a box in the
other side of the wall and reinstalled the switch so that the light is
now controlled from inside the bathroom..

The liight itself was straightforward swapout.

Of course, since posting this last night, it hasn't dimmed at all last
night or this am....I probably won't get to this until tommorrow. Have
a bunch of kids-sport stuff to dash off to this am (West Coast