Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical problem for the gurus

The first floor of our house is about 40 years old. The 2nd floor is
about
18 years old. Almost all of the electrical outlets on the first floor
give a
maddening, stress-inducing effect when anything is plugged into them.
Someone said this is caused by a strong electromagnetic field. I can't
explain the sensation, but immediate stress/anxiety sets in when
something
is plugged in. Also, our UPS battery backup has a built-in "Building
Wiring
Fault" light, and all the outlets that cause this stress also fail the
wiring test. Now, upstairs, everything is great and none of the outlets
have
this problem.

Can somebody offer any clue as to what might be the problem, and where
begin looking/working? If we did get an electrician, would they think
we
were crazy if we told them what some of the downstairs outlets were
doing to
us? BTW, only a couple of people in my family can "feel" the effect of
the
bad outlets. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This sounds like a troll. The description of a maddening effect is a
bit much to believe.

You get get a good tester and take readings of all the outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We're gonna hire an electrician to test the outlets, like you
suggested. What's a troll, btw? Thanks.

On Dec 11, 8:33 pm, wrote:
This sounds like a troll. The description of a maddening effect is a
bit much to believe.

You get get a good tester and take readings of all the outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

matthew spake thus:

We're gonna hire an electrician to test the outlets, like you
suggested. What's a troll, btw? Thanks.

Generally two varieties. One lives under bridges, as you already know;
the other posts annoying/aggravating/irritating messages on fora such as
this.

On Dec 11, 8:33 pm, wrote:

This sounds like a troll. The description of a maddening effect is a
bit much to believe.

You get get a good tester and take readings of all the outlets.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you wandered wayyy off topic there, buddy.

We'll post back on what the electrician says. Someone was saying the
wiring fault is occuring b/c of improper grounding.

On Dec 11, 11:37 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
matthew spake thus:

We're gonna hire an electrician to test the outlets, like you
suggested. What's a troll, btw? Thanks.Generally two varieties. One lives under bridges, as you already know;

the other posts annoying/aggravating/irritating messages on fora such as
this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hire a professional. You need an electrician a physician and mental
health therapist. All professionals.

On 11 Dec 2006 17:17:46 -0800, "matthew"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

watt did you say?
looks like to me the UPS has spotted a wiring problem. there may be a
voltage drop due to your electric heaters in use. first have your
utility company check the service lines to your home and the wiring at
the meter and main panel for free. next the fun begins. the effect you
describe may just be the dimming of the lights, like at my house the
refrigerator kicks on and the 300 watt quartz halogen reading lamp dims
slightly but annoyingly. do any problems disappear from the UPS when
you unplug any particular appliance in the home? your electrician will
advise you of any main panel service problems, and have him update your
switches and outlets which will eliminate any internal sparking
effects. some of these may be noticed in a dark room. if you are
plugging in a tv, the degaussing coil demagnetizes the tv screen when
you first turn it on. the effect on you is not likely a magnetic
problem but you can check for any magnetic changes with an inexpensive
camping compass. for the other non-believers, they get to make an
aluminum foil hat.
i am confident that your electricians actually have some work to do in
your home and the older downstairs wiring may have some
hot/neutral/ground issues.

matthew wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

matthew spake thus:

I think you wandered wayyy off topic there, buddy.

And this is a problem how? What, do you think there's some committee
here enforcing posting and making sure threads stay on-topic?

You asked a question; I answered it.

We'll post back on what the electrician says. Someone was saying the
wiring fault is occuring b/c of improper grounding.

On Dec 11, 11:37 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

matthew spake thus:

We're gonna hire an electrician to test the outlets, like you
suggested. What's a troll, btw? Thanks.

Generally two varieties. One lives under bridges, as you
already know;

[...]