Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New washing machine time - What sort?

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
So assuming I buy new, what do I get? What do you like / dislike /
find works OK on new low temperature detergents? No rugrats, nothing
weird needed, I just want to avoid future DIY work on it.

I think it really depends on usage. If you've got a young family with the
machine in use twice a day it might be worth spending more money. If only
a couple of adults, a cheaper one might last well enough.

So saying, I'm now on my own, but got a Miele. Nice and quiet when
operating.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
So assuming I buy new, what do I get? What do you like / dislike /
find works OK on new low temperature detergents? No rugrats, nothing
weird needed, I just want to avoid future DIY work on it.

I think it really depends on usage. If you've got a young family with the
machine in use twice a day it might be worth spending more money. If only
a couple of adults, a cheaper one might last well enough.

So saying, I'm now on my own, but got a Miele. Nice and quiet when
operating.

whenever we've bought a new something, there never seems to be quite the
money to spend to justify a miele, but TBH, I can't say I've been
unhappy with any of the cheaper things we've bought.

An Indesit WM bought cos it was sale display stock and we needed a WM
machine ASAP, it did at least 12 years before something died on it
(until then it had worked faultlessly AFAICR, though not so smooth on
the spin)) and was replaced by a Bosch Excell, which is fine. I even
like the beeping noise some other have complained about as it very quiet
and lives in the utility room. So I can't hear when it is working and
has stopped.

Bosch Fridge is about 14 years old, works fine, but along the front
bottom has rusted. Deciding whether to bodge a repair or pension it off.

AEG DW, bought in part as it was on sale in the local shop, to replace
the hand me down Zanussi we had, probably about 12 years old (I think I
fixed something on the Zanussi).

A couple of freezers (Zanussi and Electrolux) probabably 16 and 12
years)

nothing much has gone wrong with any of them really.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2011 22:33, John MacLeod wrote:

A company that refers to the "Isle of White" on their website isn't
really one I would trust very far. Even if they did buy Asko of
Sweden within the past year.

In fairness it is a Slovenian company. Most Slovenes do speak very good
English (better than some of us even) but a translation error like that
could easily slip through.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:00:03 +0000, John wrote:
Just thinking;
strange how we buy a major item (Car, Washer, TV) etc and then decide
that we like the features and will start to promote them., Instead we
should know what we need and go and buy the item that has the features
we need. Brand names mean so little nowadays as there are so many
regulations governing safety and reliability.
My overriding "need" was a left hand hinged door. I cant imagine ever
deciding I NEED a washer with cast iron counter weights as I have never
had a bad experience with concrete ones.

Exactly. The problem is, I don't think there's any comsumer website
focusing on taking things apart to assess assembly and parts quality -
and to me those are just as important as the "user interface" features
listed in the manual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Building nuclear power stations is not the way.Improving efficiency
and cutting back on energy usage by various angles is the way.

Well if that's the case you can start doing your bit by turning off
your computer.

Such wit. The new year ahead will be bleak indeed for you.

Typical greenie.. never do anything that actually saves energy
themselves, just tells everyone else to save.

Greenie?

Nah, he was the group ****wit until you came along

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 2 Jan,
"John" wrote:

I cant imagine ever deciding I NEED a washer with cast iron counter weights
as I have never had a bad experience with concrete ones.

My Hotpoint has lead counterweights, works very well, better than the
original concrete ones that disintegrated many years ago.

The lead was part of the recovered lead valley that I replaced after it
leaked. Teh original builder had used a /single/ piece 4 metres long!
Inevitably it cracked, but is still ok sandwiched between ply boards as the
counterweight in the washer. I must remember about it when the washer is
eventually dumped, Its prolly worth more than teh washer.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:57:34 GMT, wrote:

The lead was part of the recovered lead valley that I replaced after it
leaked. Teh original builder

What's a "Teh original builder"?

73 and HNY...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 29 2010, 3:42*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:

Repair could be as simple as splicing in four new lengths of cable and
some glass fibre sheathing, a new door seal and sorting out the
suspension.

Or maybe not. I bodged the drum location into place, sorted the heater
electrics and powered it all up for a test cycle. Washing seemed fine,
but when it came to spin time, the motor let fly with a demonstration
of brush sparks and escaping phlogiston.

So, time for a new Bosch, methinks. 8-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 5848f3d8-6587-42b5-a881-b2d25d965912
@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com, says...
So, time for a new Bosch, methinks. 8-(

Nowt wrong with a good second-hand one. Ours came from someone who was
changing the colour of their kitchen and white didn't match.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 10:10*pm, Skipweasel wrote:

Nowt wrong with a good second-hand one. Ours came from someone who was
changing the colour of their kitchen and white didn't match.

That's how I got this one - in 1994 beige and brown. I've had it about
as long as the original owners.

I'm going off the idea of a Bosch though, on account of too many
customer reviews telling of controller board failures at 3-4 years,
costing £200 quid.

I'm now thinking about one of those LG machines with the direct drive
motor. Quiet and vibration seem excellent, does anyone know about
their reliability?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 2:30*pm, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 01/01/2011 22:33, John MacLeod wrote:

A company that refers to the "Isle of White" on their website isn't
really one I would trust very far. *Even if they did buy Asko of
Sweden within the past year.

In fairness it is a Slovenian company. Most Slovenes do speak very good
English (better than some of us even) but a translation error like that
could easily slip through.

--
Mike Clarke

I know it's a Slovenian company -- although the group now includes
Asko of Sweden who actually build the ISE machines as well as machines
under their own name. Once had a dishwasher from Asko -- lasted quite
well. And spare parts for Gorenje aren't too bad -- they're available
from UK Whitegoods.

However, not to have material properly proof-read their public website
shows a sloppy attitude and, in this instance, reveals crass ignorance
of geography. If they employ crassly-ignorant people in one
department, they're likely to do the same in other departments. If
none of their UK staff have even read the website, then it doesn't say
much for them. Nor does it say much for them if they have read it!
Would they ever have the competence to get a repair person to the
correct address?

Slovenia is a little bit further than from the Isle of Wight than my
own address in the North of Scotland, but it's only the difference
between 700 miles and 1000 miles, so if I can get it right, then they
should be able to. If they're selling into the UK market they should
get it right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 10:10 pm, Skipweasel wrote:

Nowt wrong with a good second-hand one. Ours came from someone who was
changing the colour of their kitchen and white didn't match.

That's how I got this one - in 1994 beige and brown. I've had it about
as long as the original owners.

I'm going off the idea of a Bosch though, on account of too many
customer reviews telling of controller board failures at 3-4 years,
costing £200 quid.

I'm now thinking about one of those LG machines with the direct drive
motor. Quiet and vibration seem excellent, does anyone know about
their reliability?

Most critical aspect is to ensure the feet are really well adjusted - it
prevents all the complaints about the machine wobbling and reduces wear and
tear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 04/01/11 02:24, John MacLeod wrote:
[...]

I doubt it was the Slovenes who created the website, more likely a UK based
agency. So while a sloppy website might say something about the quality of
staff in their UK sales and marketing office it doesn't have much to do
with the quality of the manufactured goods.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 1:21*pm, djc wrote:
[...]

* It says something about the quality of the agency they employed to
create the website

* In fact, the whole website is a masterpiece of non-communication

* It says something about the quality of staff they employ in England
that they wouldn't even check the website, or, if they did check it
and didn't notice that whopper, then they must be a bunch of plonkers.

Yes, perfectly good equipment can be let down by poor-quality
representation in an overseas market, but it's usually the local
representatives you have to deal with when even the best machine
breaks down.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 5a9d030e-c0db-4971-8bf3-
,
says...
* In fact, the whole website is a masterpiece of non-communication

I thought that - it's very superficial, innit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 1:21 pm, djc wrote:
[...]

I recall we once had someone on a TV show who referred to "East Angular"

I certainly take your point but feel that you have touched on a general
sloppiness caused by tasks being contracted to people who lack the expertise
to do the job properly. Firms have a "core" business of (say) manufacturing
and they get drawn into outsourcing sales, marketing, servicing, etc.
I has happened for ages - even cars are bought in bulk to a spec by UK based
concessionaires who head the sales and distribution (some better than
others). It puts a lot of 'distance' between the maker and the eventual end
user as the manufacturer is only interested in the number of shipping
containers it has to export.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On Jan 4, 1:21 pm, djc wrote:
On 04/01/11 02:24, John MacLeod wrote:

A company that refers to the "Isle of White" on their website isn't
really one I would trust very far. Even if they did buy Asko of
Sweden within the past year.

I doubt it was the Slovenes who created the website, more likely a UK
based
agency. So while a sloppy website might say something about the quality of
staff in their UK sales and marketing office it doesn't have much to do
with the quality of the manufactured goods.

Yes, perfectly good equipment can be let down by poor-quality
representation in an overseas market, but it's usually the local
representatives you have to deal with when even the best machine
breaks down.

I recall we once had someone on a TV show who referred to "East Angular"

Much of this caused by a shift backward from a literate to an oral culture.
And where there is literacy, too trusting of the spell checker.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 12:07*pm, djc wrote:

I recall we once had someone on a TV show who referred to "East Angular"

Much of this caused by a shift backward from a literate to an oral culture.
And where there is literacy, too trusting of the spell checker.

Do I really want to do business with a company which employs
illiterates as communicators?

The late August Horch had a problem when he was squeezed out of the
company he had founded and which manufactured cars under his name. A
little bit of thought provided the answer to his problem. He didn't
want to make cars for the masses, he wanted to sell cars to
discerning, educated individuals all of whom, he reckoned, could read
Latin and would immediately understand that Audi (the Latin imperative
of audire, to hear) is the equivalent of Horch (from the German hören,
to hear). Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 10:00:03 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Building nuclear power stations is not the way.Improving efficiency and
cutting back on energy usage by various angles is the way.

Well if that's the case you can start doing your bit by turning off your
computer.

Such wit. The new year ahead will be bleak indeed for you.

Just thinking;
strange how we buy a major item (Car, Washer, TV) etc and then decide that
we like the features and will start to promote them., Instead we should know
what we need and go and buy the item that has the features we need. Brand
names mean so little nowadays as there are so many regulations governing
safety and reliability.
My overriding "need" was a left hand hinged door.

Although it doesn't mention it in the manual, it looks very likely
that the door on the WT2780 (washer/dryer) can be reversed. The casing
is symmetrical around the door area, and the aperture for the latch
seems very much the same as that occupied by the hinge, IYSWIM.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not convinced it would be made to be readily reversed as the connections to
the lock and interlock would be a problem. Perhaps it is a standard stamping
used for different models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 02:24, John MacLeod wrote:

Slovenia is a little bit further than from the Isle of Wight than my
own address in the North of Scotland, but it's only the difference
between 700 miles and 1000 miles, so if I can get it right, then they
should be able to. If they're selling into the UK market they should
get it right.

Physical distance isn't a very relevant measure for this. An American
writer would be much further away but that shouldn't make it more
acceptable for an American to get things wrong. The difference in native
language is a more relevant factor to consider. But I suppose some would
say that people in the far north of Scotland speak a different language
anyway :-)

Although I can see how an error like this could easily slip through in
an initial translation I agree it should have been spotted and corrected
at the proof reading stage.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.

Today?
other make.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Clarke
saying something like:

But I suppose some would
say that people in the far north of Scotland speak a different language
anyway :-)

Yes. It's known as Quite Good English.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 4:40*pm, Mike Clarke wrote:

Physical distance isn't a very relevant measure for this. An American
writer would be much further away but that shouldn't make it more
acceptable for an American to get things wrong.

Americans are a whole cultural world away and at least half a
linguistic world away. And yes, I've lived and worked there too.

The difference in native
language is a more relevant factor to consider.

There are at least as many pitfalls for the average American trying to
communicate in the UK -- all the more dangerous because they don't
realise they're likely to exist at all.

But I suppose some would
say that people in the far north of Scotland speak a different language
anyway :-)

Well, we speak many different languages in this house, from Mandarin,
through Latin, Greek and Hebrew, to Gaelic, German, French, Scots and
English. To which were you referring? :-) I can manage only seven of
then nine :-(.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 9:43*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.

Today?
other make.

Horch was a lot more than forty years ago :-). And no, I've never
owned one or wished to, though those produced under Horch would be
much more desirable than contemporary competitors.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.

Today?
other make.

Not when you're wearing rose tinted glasses, they're not

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 11:08*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.

Today?
other make.

Not when you're wearing rose tinted glasses, they're not

--
geoff

Well my Zeiss Umbramatic photochromics (one of the better products
from Germany) are definitely brown-tinted. Does that indicate
cynicism, perchance? :-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, John
MacLeod writes
On Jan 5, 11:08*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Sadly, Audi cars of today do not conform to the standards
of Horch any more than the current Audi customer base fits the target
customer profile adopted by Horch.

Today?
other make.

Not when you're wearing rose tinted glasses, they're not

--
geoff

Well my Zeiss Umbramatic photochromics (one of the better products
from Germany) are definitely brown-tinted. Does that indicate
cynicism, perchance? :-)

More a pretentious plonker, I would say

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 17:48:23 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes
geoff wrote:

Or my favourite "Irisher Mist" which came out in Germany almost
simultaneously as a liqueur and a shower gel from Cussons

Mist, of course means manure or colloquially ****

didn't last long

Not an urban myth that one ... I was there

Not that the Germans are immune from that. There is a range of hair
products which in Italian is rendered as Testanera but for some reason
they chose not to translate Schwarzkopf into Blackhead for the UK.

Yes, always amused me, that one

And then there are the legendary "Bum" crisps from Spain and "Pschitt!"
lemonade from France.

Ok then,

darkie toothpaste - thailand
kick a poo joy juice - soft drink in malaysia
ficklover - swedish chocolate bar
Pocari sweat - isotonic drink in Indonesia

I'm sure I'll think of more later

Bite the wax tadpole == Coca Cola in parts of China.

An VW renamed the "Rabbit" for the UK market with the boring name
"Golf". Shame. I'd like a car that goes like a rabbit ;-)
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:22:14 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 10:10 pm, Skipweasel wrote:

Nowt wrong with a good second-hand one. Ours came from someone who was
changing the colour of their kitchen and white didn't match.

That's how I got this one - in 1994 beige and brown. I've had it about
as long as the original owners.

I'm going off the idea of a Bosch though, on account of too many
customer reviews telling of controller board failures at 3-4 years,
costing £200 quid.

That hasn't gone on mine. It has got through several doors seals and
a set of brushes in around 10 years of heavy usage though. The main
problem is that it doesn't spin very fast and the washing comes out
fairly wet.

Most critical aspect is to ensure the feet are really well adjusted - it
prevents all the complaints about the machine wobbling and reduces wear and
tear.

I heard that WMs were designed to work on solid floors and don't like
suspended floors. Ours certainly wobbles less now I have moved it to a
solid floor.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 11:41*am, Mark
wrote:

An VW renamed the "Rabbit" for the UK market with the boring name
"Golf". *Shame. *I'd like a car that goes like a rabbit ;-)

The first UK diesel Golfs (pretty rare at the time, although they did
have the wheel on the right side) were still badged as "Rabbits".

No-one seems to have told VW dealers this. Phone up and ask for a
windscreen wiper or a bulb for a Rabbit and they wouldn't have a clue
what you were on about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid says...
Bite the wax tadpole == Coca Cola in parts of China.

Classed by Snopes as "Not quite".
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 1, 2:22*pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"John MacLeod" wrote in message

when it ceases to work, as some day it
inevitably will, you're in big trouble because
service is horrendously expensive, only Miele
servicemen can clear fault codes on some
newer models, and you can buy
a washing machine of another make for the
cost of some of the fairly
routine spare parts.

This brings me to the case of a relative. People buy Miele washing machines
because they are reliable. People are scared stiff of the down time when a
washing machine stops, so much they are prepared to spend to reduce down
time. *A sort of insurance.

http://www.nextdayappliances.com/ is all the insurance you need.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 07:15:07 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

http://www.nextdayappliances.com/ is all the insurance you need.

Looks interesting in theory.

But it says "You've missed our 7pm deadline"!

And says they can't deliver until SUNDAY.

Pretty unsatisfactory "insurance"!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
http://www.nextdayappliances.com/ is all the insurance you need.

Looks interesting in theory.

But it says "You've missed our 7pm deadline"!

And says they can't deliver until SUNDAY.

Pretty unsatisfactory "insurance"!

If it's really that desperate, drive to the local all-night Tescos and
drive home with a washing machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:35:20 +0000, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , says...
http://www.nextdayappliances.com/ is all the insurance you need.

Looks interesting in theory.

But it says "You've missed our 7pm deadline"!

And says they can't deliver until SUNDAY.

Pretty unsatisfactory "insurance"!

If it's really that desperate, drive to the local all-night Tescos and
drive home with a washing machine.

You miss the point. The previous poster (you deleted their identity on
the followup) posted that URL presumably on the basis of the name. Also,m
the web site crows about 'next day'. Sunday isn't the next day after
Thursday. That's all.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Jan 1, 2:22 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"John MacLeod" wrote in message

when it ceases to work, as some day it
inevitably will, you're in big trouble because
service is horrendously expensive, only Miele
servicemen can clear fault codes on some
newer models, and you can buy
a washing machine of another make for the
cost of some of the fairly
routine spare parts.

This brings me to the case of a relative. People buy Miele washing
machines
because they are reliable. People are scared stiff of the down time when a
washing machine stops, so much they are prepared to spend to reduce down
time. A sort of insurance.

http://www.nextdayappliances.com/ is all the insurance you need.

MBQ

....and some people change their car before an MOT is due in case it fails!

Washing House - What Time of Year? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 2 August 18th 08 04:40 PM
Machine time kyle malley Woodworking 5 September 9th 05 04:41 PM
Washing Machine under $500. Ed Home Repair 13 March 8th 05 12:31 AM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM
Washing Machine Tom J Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:43 PM