Ed

Default Washing Machine under $500.

Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Maytag

Stormin Mormon

GE = Generally Expensive

Speaking for one man's experience. When I moved into my present adress, they
left a Whirlpool washer. This was late in 1994. All it needed was some oil
on the motor. About three or four years ago, it needed another squirt of
oil. Other than that, it has been working very nicely.

Personally, I like whirlpool. I worked on a Mayfag electric drier, the other
day. The replacement part said it was for whirlpool, wonder if they make the
equipment for Mayfag?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

http://tinyurl.com/3mpan
$299.00, great value.

Better washer for $279
http://tinyurl.com/5ab3m

Roper is made by Whirlpool and the quality is the same. The difference
between these two washers is the $279 model offers 2-spped motor, the $299
model is single speed.

SQLit

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Until recently I used to go to the used appliance stores and look for
kenmores with a warranty. I paid under $200 some times with delivery
included.

Art

Check Consumer Reports at library.

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Gideon

Go to the library, look at the index in the back of the current issue and you
will see a list of recent (1-3 years) articles on washing machines. Pull those
issues from the shelf and see what C.R. has to say and what they recommend.

I've haven't paid attention recently, but from past experience I'd guess that
Maytag will be highly rated but rather expensive. Whirlpool may be about half
the price of the Maytag and just as reliable. That's my guess; the magazine
will have the facts.

Gideon

Kim

CR rated Sears (Kenmore) at the top when I purchased mine but I had
problems, a bad motor being one of them, just few days after warranty.

Personally I stay away from Kenmore and Frigidaire. Manufactures used to
make machines that last well over 25 years but now you're lucky if it last
more than 7.

I have a Maytag now and its doing ok so far.

nk.net...

"Ed" wrote in message
Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic
machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you
suggest.

Ed

"Kim" wrote

CR rated Sears (Kenmore) at the top when I purchased mine but I had
problems, a bad motor being one of them, just few days after warranty.

Things like this happen with any brand. Whirlpool makes most of Sear's
laundry products and they are fine. Most of the parts in these machines are
purchased by the manufacturer and installed. Motors are mostly GE & Emerson
and there may be others now, it doesn't matter what brand it is in many
cases they all get their parts from the same suppliers.

Personally I stay away from Kenmore and Frigidaire. Manufactures used to
make machines that last well over 25 years but now you're lucky if it last
more than 7.

I pretty much stay with Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, and Amana products. I've had
good luck. It's true that some people have appliances that last 20 or 30
years but they are in the minority and always were, average life was never
that high.

I agree that appliances aren't what they were but in many ways they have
been improved while keeping the cost down. Don't forget, people build these
machines and they don't earn what they did 25 years ago and benefit packages
have also increased in cost to the manufacturers.

I posted in this thread about a Whirlpool washer for under $300, 25 years
ago I doubt if you could have purchased a Whirlpool washer for this price,
especially one with the same features.

Art

I used to have one of the older Maytag models that had a reputation for
lasting forever. Well that was easy because it hardly agitated compared to
other brands. I got rid of it after a few years. Replaced it with a direct
drive Kenmore made by Whirlpool. Unfortunately it only lasted 5 years.
Sears offered to pay for labor if I bought a new transmission. Transmission
went because the seal went which is in the agitator under water level. I
went with a Maytag front loader which has been going fine for 8 years but is
expensive.

"Ed" wrote in message

"Kim" wrote

[...]

Brian O

"Kim" wrote in message
CR rated Sears (Kenmore) at the top when I purchased mine but I had
problems, a bad motor being one of them, just few days after warranty.

Personally I stay away from Kenmore and Frigidaire. Manufactures used to
make machines that last well over 25 years but now you're lucky if it last
more than 7.

I have a Maytag now and its doing ok so far.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
Check Consumer Reports at library.

I don't put too much stock in anything CR has to say. That may be their
business, but from some of the reports I've seen, they don't know much about
products as they espouse. I saw their rating on bicycles a few years ago.
Everything they said was "better" was only "better" for a person that likes
to ride around the block. A serious rider would be getting injuries and
lots of uncomfortable rides with some of the products they suggested. I'm
not sure where you would go to look at various washers, but I would try to
find an association that deals with a specific appliance and see what kind
of reviews they have to offer. A trade rag of somekind might be the best
place to find help. Even a technicians monthly would give you a better idea.

Harry Everhart

"Brian O" wrote:
We've had a Whirlpool top loader for 15 yrs now and its still going, not on
all four cylinders, but still washes clothes.

Speaking of cylinders and washing machines. When I was a kid - in 1952 -
we had a gasoline powered washing machine on the back porch that had a
two cylinder engine. You started it with a pedal very much like a motor
cycle. It ran several hours every Monday morning - wash day.
Harry