Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heater switch that switches itstelf off after 1 hour?

I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on. Has
anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on.
Has anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Thanks,

Al

Are these suitable?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Timers_Index/Immersion_Heater_Timers_2/index.html

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on. Has
anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Thanks,

Al

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOE30.html

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2010 23:15, AL_n wrote:
I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on. Has
anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Thanks,

Al

There was a thread abut this only a week or so ago. I think someone was
looking for a time switch for an air-con system, and someone came up
with this immersion heater timer as a suggestion:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_2/index.html

It might just do what you want.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct 2010 22:15:18 GMT, AL_n wrote:

I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on. Has
anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Depends what you *actually* want it for and how much you're prepared to
pay. Several others have given urls for 'one shot' timers. If you're on E7
then you should look for an E7 timer.

These give you an automatic setting for the cheap rate with a one or two
hour auto or manual boost.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...lectronic7.pdf

--
The Wanderer

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On 25 Oct 2010 22:15:18 GMT, AL_n wrote:

I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on. Has
anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Depends what you *actually* want it for and how much you're prepared to
pay. Several others have given urls for 'one shot' timers. If you're on E7
then you should look for an E7 timer.

These give you an automatic setting for the cheap rate with a one or two
hour auto or manual boost.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...lectronic7.pdf

--
The Wanderer

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.

Check that the thermostat is set sensibly. Often people try to control the
temp with time - when it is often a symptom that the thermostat needs
turning down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/10 10:02, John wrote:
"The wrote in message
.. .
[...]

How can one tell when the water is at full heat temperature?

I just had a bath after having it on for about 40 minutes but it wasn't
hot enough, after a while the hot tap became cold...

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2010 16:34, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

How can one tell when the water is at full heat temperature?

I just had a bath after having it on for about 40 minutes but it wasn't
hot enough, after a while the hot tap became cold...

Feel the cylinder - it should be hot all the way down. Hot water rises
to the top, so if only the top part of the cylinder is hot, the bath
water will run cold as soon as that is used up. [Of course, if the
cylinder isn't large enough the water will run cold when it's all used
up even if it *is* hot all the way down!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...sion_Heater_Ti
mers_2/index.html

Yes - thank you. SM TGBT4 looks like it does what I need it to. I'd like to
find something cheaper if poss. Sorry to be such a skinflint. It juat needs
to keep the heater on for one hour.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote in
:

I'd like to find a wall switch for my immersion heater - one that
automatically switches off, about one hour after it was switched on.
Has anyone sean such an item for sale anywhere?

Depends what you *actually* want it for and how much you're prepared
to pay. Several others have given urls for 'one shot' timers. If
you're on E7 then you should look for an E7 timer.

These give you an automatic setting for the cheap rate with a one or
two hour auto or manual boost.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...nn/Electronic7.
pdf

Thanks - that's interesting, however I'm not on Economy 7. I need the thing
to work at any hour of the day or night.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in
:

Check that the thermostat is set sensibly. Often people try to control
the temp with time - when it is often a symptom that the thermostat
needs turning down.

Already done, thanks. It is set optimally.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in news:ia6sf6$1m1d$1
@news.enta.net:

How can one tell when the water is at full heat temperature?

I just had a bath after having it on for about 40 minutes but it wasn't
hot enough, after a while the hot tap became cold...

Well, all systems are going to differ. I know from trial and error that my
immersion heater gets the water to full temp in one hour (approx). Sounds
like your system needs more than 40 minutes too. Try one hour.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...sion_Heater_Ti
mers_2/index.html

Yes - thank you. SM TGBT4 looks like it does what I need it to. I'd
like to find something cheaper if poss. Sorry to be such a skinflint.
It juat needs to keep the heater on for one hour.

Al

Unless you own a cotton plantation with a couple of spare black slaves then
the electronic timer is the cheapest way to do the one hour timer.

Adam

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

Yes - thank you. SM TGBT4 looks like it does what I need it to. I'd
like to find something cheaper if poss. Sorry to be such a skinflint.
It juat needs to keep the heater on for one hour.

Al

Unless you own a cotton plantation with a couple of spare black slaves
then the electronic timer is the cheapest way to do the one hour
timer.

I came up with a cheaper way!! I bought one of those 1-hour clockwork
kitchen timers for £3. Now, I switch the immersion heater and set the timer
simultaneously. In 1 hour, the timer starts ringing. I immediately go and
switch the heater off and take my shower. I anticipate that this routine
should be even better than the electrinic timer, because of the addition of
the ringing bell, advising me that the water has been heated. We'll see how
it works in practice.....

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct, 17:40, Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/10/2010 16:34, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

How can one tell when the water is at full heat temperature?

I just had a bath after having it on for about 40 minutes but it wasn't
hot enough, after a while the hot tap became cold...

Feel the cylinder - it should be hot all the way down.

....Although the effectiveness of this technique does depend on the
cylinder. Our sealed cylinder is so well insulated that there is no
discernible difference between top and bottom; certainly not enough to
work out the relative proportion of hot to cold.

Mathew