Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity costs.

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

No, but I have a bad chest as a result of a previous bout. Any infection
will trigger me in a cold and damp home especially with the mould. The
mould spores get onto my chest and makes me ill too. But OH doesnt
listen. The mould breeds in cold and damp in our house - put the heat on
and it goes away. Until my OH went of this eco / cost binge we had the
heating on in winter and never had any mould in any room. Now we have it
all over the house and frankly the place stinks of must.

Get the dehumidifier, it will stop mould as mould doesn't grow when its dry.

If you have the cash you could get an air (or ground) sourced heat pump,
they provide about three times as much heat out as the electricity in, there
are also grants (or were a few months ago) if you are old or on benefits.
Air sourced heat pumps start at about £400 ea., ground ones are a lot more
but are the equivalent of a central heating boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:58:50 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

FWIW, our total electricity bill for May 2009 to May 2010 was £642,
less about £30 for DD discount. The units/cost breakdown between cheap
rate and daytime rate was 2773 units/£151 night rate against 3116
units/£491 day rate. Night energy rate currently (oops, sorry!)
5.45p/unit, and day rate 18.83p/unit for first 1000 units/year then
14.33p/unit thereafter.

Thanks for that. It gives me some sort of guide.

I should have added that our average annual spend on gas over the last
5 years was £965 (but it is LPG from a tank in the garden, so much
more expensive than mains gas), which brings the typical total energy
spend per year to between £1550 and £1600, significantly higher than
this in the last two years because of the cold winters (our house
thermostat is set at 20C). That makes your total electricity spend of
£1060, including heating, look extremely economical!

Over the three previous years, when we had one 3-kW night-store heater
in use, our average annual consumption of cheap rate electricity was
about 5500 units, just about double what it was last year without it.

--

The more I look at it the more certain I am that it is as cheap as it can
be. I have looked at past bills too . The usage has decreased over the last

I did have it on a cap and I put it on another one until next year now but
every time the cap comes off the price rises and its not possible to get
cheaper on any other rate ( you can get some the same - or online
management of bills would save about £30 , they say. But I have seen that
before. I also read in Which? that the claims made by suppliers to reduce
costs don't always come true.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

Get the dehumidifier, it will stop mould as mould doesn't grow when its
dry.

I am going out today ( without HIM) to look for one of these. I am tired of
dampp clothes. I can dry them outside, bring them in and they get damp
again.

If you have the cash you could get an air (or ground) sourced heat pump,
they provide about three times as much heat out as the electricity in,
there are also grants (or were a few months ago) if you are old or on
benefits. Air sourced heat pumps start at about £400 ea., ground ones are
a lot more but are the equivalent of a central heating boiler.

I don't think thats a starter. Sounds as if someone will have to do some
serious work to fit it. He doesn't allow people to come to the house to do
any work ( He nearly sacked my window cleaner last week just because he
doesn't want any callers. I tend to pay the cleaner several months in
advance so he doesn't have to knock but despite that he was heard last
week).

As for subsidy - in your dreams. We don't get those. They claimed that about
insulation but even though OH has retired and has a works pension we do not
qualify for any subsidy. He retired because his firm wanted to make him
redundant ( and retire him) rather than have to sack a youngster. They asked
the old ones to leave and retire, and he hasn't got over it.

I know that sounds as if a window cleaner is an extravagance I can cut , but
if I do , I would have to do the windows and I don't want to ( or we can
have grimy windows). I would get a gardener but he wont let me have that
either ( just to cut the hedges). I am beginning to feel old and not capable
of doing it any more but if I say that he will make us move to a retirement
apartment and I don't want to move for the sake of simple things like a
gardener ( besides I am not old enough)/
Sorry about the whinge. My mower has just decided to pack up on me
yesterday and I cant do the grass.

Never mind. Thanks for the information about electric costs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
writes

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Feel free the tell me to go away as I'm being patronising, but is your
other half around at home during the day all the time, or does he have
things he does outside the home. Leaving work leaves a big hole for
some people, with no work to occupy the brain it leaves it free to worry
about other things. It really sound like your hubby might be in that
situation. Though I realise he might not be in the frame of mind to
tackle it.

My FIL managed a Jazz band for a while after he retired. There are loads
of volunteering opportunities around. It should be possible to find
something that is satisfying and utilises work skills, or other
interests, or even is a way to learn new ones.

As for subsidy - in your dreams. We don't get those. They claimed that
about insulation but even though OH has retired and has a works
pension we do not qualify for any subsidy. He retired because his firm
wanted to make him redundant ( and retire him) rather than have to sack
a youngster. They asked the old ones to leave and retire, and he
hasn't got over it.

That can be tough. My wife's Uncle was in a similar situation re being
'pushed' out into early retirement.

Re subsidies, it depends. a lot of the ones for renewable energy stuff
are available to anyone - but you still need to pay significant upfront
costs as well. To get free insulation you probably need to be in receipt
of the sate pension, or on various benefits. but pretty much everyone is
eligible for the subsided insulation via the power companies (assuming
what they have is poor enough)

hope you can get some where with all this.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He retired because his firm wanted to make him
redundant ( and retire him) rather than have to sack a youngster. They asked
the old ones to leave and retire, and he hasn't got over it.

Sounds like the root cause of a lot of problems. I just couldn't imagine
why it would be like to be made redundant at say late 50's or in my
60's.

Thats prolly why I've worked for my own outfit/s since 1985.

Can't he get a part time job or even do some voluntary work?. Quite a
few older people here work in B&Q and other supermarkets, and do
voluntary work at the local hospital such as drivers for patients etc?.

It would give him something to do. Just what a relative of ours needs
after retirement taken too early;!...

They have far too much spare time on their hands in which to think
negative thoughts;(..

I know that sounds as if a window cleaner is an ex
travagance I can cut , but
if I do , I would have to do the windows and I don't want to ( or we can
have grimy windows).

Not the end of the world. Can't he do that job?..

I would get a gardener but he wont let me have that
either ( just to cut the hedges). I am beginning to feel old and not capable
of doing it any more

Why can't he do that?..

but if I say that he will make us move to a retirement
apartment and I don't want to move for the sake of simple things like a
gardener ( besides I am not old enough)/
Sorry about the whinge. My mower has just decided to pack up on me
yesterday and I cant do the grass.

Never mind. Thanks for the information about electric costs.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Feel free the tell me to go away as I'm being patronising, but is your
other half around at home during the day all the time, or does he have
things he does outside the home. Leaving work leaves a big hole for
some people, with no work to occupy the brain it leaves it free to worry
about other things. It really sound like your hubby might be in that
situation. Though I realise he might not be in the frame of mind to
tackle it.

I think you've hit a nail rather hard there Chris. Now oddly enough my
lady missus is a very industrial person and never seems to be happier
when shes got more work than she can handle. 'Tho she will like all
ladies grumble a just a 'lil ole bit;!..

However when she doesn't have any work on in the longer holidays or is
on holiday for longer then a few days then the 'grumblin level is worse
much worse!.

My Mum was just the same;!.

Same principle I reckon;!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Sounds like the root cause of a lot of problems. I just couldn't imagine
why it would be like to be made redundant at say late 50's or in my
60's.

He is 60. He had worked for the same firm as an apprentice and a worker
since he was 16.
I dont think he ever thought there would be a time he would have to retire -
certainly not be made to go at 59.

Can't he get a part time job or even do some voluntary work?. Quite a
few older people here work in B&Q and other supermarkets, and do
voluntary work at the local hospital such as drivers for patients etc?.

He did try for some jobs and even got interviews but for some reason didnt
land the jobs and now he doesnt bother. He doesnt interview well I guess.
I know that sounds as if a window cleaner is an ex
travagance I can cut , but
if I do , I would have to do the windows and I don't want to ( or we can
have grimy windows).

Not the end of the world. Can't he do that job?..

He wont. I was without a window cleaner for three years ( after old one
retired) and he wouldnt help me do the windows. In the end I hired another
window cleaner

I would get a gardener but he wont let me have that
either ( just to cut the hedges). I am beginning to feel old and not
capable
of doing it any more

Why can't he do that?..

He wont. Its not that he cannot. He just wont.

Just as he is a plumber by trade but I couldnt get him to fit a bathroom and
when he did he made it take six weeks so that I would realise I dont want
these things done.

I got my bathroom though ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

Just as he is a plumber by trade but I couldnt get him to fit a bathroom
and when he did he made it take six weeks so that I would realise I dont
want these things done.

I got my bathroom though ;-)

He isn't called Larry is he?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

So swap him for some younger cock and stop whinging. Or become a lesbian or
something.

And if anyone thinks that I am rude then **** You.

Sweatheart is a troll. She could not even remember her previous name before
she changed it to Sweatheart when she trolled before.

Sweatheart, either go buy a dildo or **** off.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

I vaguely recall some complex story about a rotten shower base - was
that the one?

Got a link to it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

You are getting close.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 9:17*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sweatheart is a troll. She could not even remember her previous name
before she changed it to Sweatheart when she trolled before.

You are getting close.

--
Adam- Hide quoted text -

Do you know I was thinking along exactly the same lines. I was going
to type out a response to the original question but thought I'd hold
fire and let some others go first. Its probably Drivel in his latest
incarnation given that his normal alter ego hasn't posted in a few
days. Perhaps they've changed his pills or upped his dosage.

I don't know any female that would live in a house that had mould and
must(?!). Now Adam, keep your eyes out for the next troll thread and
subject! Those darn trolls keep getting cleverer!

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1 - There is nothing to stop the OP husband doing handyman work.

That could be anything, and at least gives him something to do and
some "routine" of say 2 days a week. It gets him out of the house,
gets him interested AND he can choose his clients.

Age Concern often need people, they may require references, but there
is a variety of work he could do.

2 - Dehumidifier will make a difference.

Shop around, it is one appliance where a 2yr warranty or 3yr warranty
for £9.99 is a good idea because it covers you if it fails sooner (the
bearings DO tend to seize on the big radial fan, you need a smoke
alarm in the same room - battery is fine). I think John Lewis used to
do a free 2yr and prices were competitive. You can buy energy monitors
for £9.99 also re monitoring how much it uses AND putting money aside
if you have to.

As a guide, running 7hrs/day at 100% (they have a humidistat), drawing
350W for 365 days a year is £107/yr at peak rate or under £50 if run
overnight on an E7 timer. Not something you probably wanted to hear,
but they are not cheap to run. They DO provide a little heating
incidentally, so it is not as though the £50-107/yr energy is
completely wasted.

Crack a window upstairs whenever you can to get ventilation re damp &
mould removal.

You need a separate bank account.
You need a separate savings account - indeed two, keep one just for
electricity and say you will pay the bill, *full stop*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Dave
Starling writes
On Aug 17, 9:17*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sweatheart is a troll. She could not even remember her previous name
before she changed it to Sweatheart when she trolled before.

You are getting close.

--
Adam- Hide quoted text -

Do you know I was thinking along exactly the same lines. I was going
to type out a response to the original question but thought I'd hold
fire and let some others go first. Its probably Drivel in his latest
incarnation given that his normal alter ego hasn't posted in a few
days. Perhaps they've changed his pills or upped his dosage.

I don't know any female that would live in a house that had mould and
must(?!). Now Adam, keep your eyes out for the next troll thread and
subject! Those darn trolls keep getting cleverer!

Well thank you

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
1 - There is nothing to stop the OP husband doing handyman work.

Apart from the fact that he does not exist

That could be anything, and at least gives him something to do and
some "routine" of say 2 days a week. It gets him out of the house,
gets him interested AND he can choose his clients.

I'll not comment on that one.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message
,
Dave Starling writes
On Aug 17, 9:17 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sweatheart is a troll. She could not even remember her previous
name before she changed it to Sweatheart when she trolled before.

You are getting close.

--
Adam- Hide quoted text -

Do you know I was thinking along exactly the same lines. I was going
to type out a response to the original question but thought I'd hold
fire and let some others go first. Its probably Drivel in his latest
incarnation given that his normal alter ego hasn't posted in a few
days. Perhaps they've changed his pills or upped his dosage.

I don't know any female that would live in a house that had mould and
must(?!). Now Adam, keep your eyes out for the next troll thread and
subject! Those darn trolls keep getting cleverer!

Well thank you

Nice to see you back Geoff.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

No I don't think so. My shower is over the bath and always has been. I
complained about snails all over my bathroom and in the bath.

As for not recalling a name I had 2 years or more ago ( before I had to
swap computers). I have a bad memory. I cant even recall names of those I
work with from June just gone. Its a feature of me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
1 - There is nothing to stop the OP husband doing handyman work.

That could be anything, and at least gives him something to do and
some "routine" of say 2 days a week. It gets him out of the house,
gets him interested AND he can choose his clients.

Its not that there is anything to stop him. He wont. Thats the way he is.
Some people are get up and go, some have to be told.

I love my husband and I dont need people criticising him from their own ways
of life here. I dont need to be called a troll either.

OK, so my life is different to yours. OK so my husnamd is in your eyes a
waster. In mine he was a good provider for 35 years. He clothed us and fed
us. But he is a shy man. He doent like people and finds it hard to go out
and do things in the way you siggest ( Hell so do I. I guess thats why I
married him).

I know he is obsessed with money. He always has been. I know he doesnt do
diy. I have done it mostly, but since he has been home I have been unable to
do much myself because he stops me. When he was at work I had peoplein
and.or did it myself whilst he was out.

All I wanted from people was what I asked. I wanted a comparison of electric
prioces because he wont let me have the electric on because he says its too
expensibve and I am extravegant wanting it.

When he was at work, he didnt know, he had no time to look.

Yes, he might be ill. but I cannot do anything about that. I can only try
and deal with each day and each problem I have as it arrives.

In the past I have had some good advice and help from people and I was told
I could ask anytime. Now you just want to make fun and call me a troll.

Thanks for the help and information.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I vaguely recall some complex story about a rotten shower base - was
that the one?

Got a link to it?

No I don't think so. My shower is over the bath and always has been. I
complained about snails all over my bathroom and in the bath.

Ah - yes - that's the one:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....5f0c9c f844a5

http://tinyurl.com/23mw6eb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 15/08/2010 10:26, sweetheart wrote:

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
t...
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:40:13 +0100, Andy Cap wrote:

I'm also sorry to appear flippant, BUT, you problem is not the
electricity but your husband.

Ditto all wot he said.

Do you manage the account wholly on-line? Most suppliers now offer a
discount if you opt for a fully on-line managed account. I get an
extra 10%
discount on my account.

No, to do this would be cheaper I know - about £30 cheaper but to be
honest I have a phone bill on line and its a pain. I can never see what
we are paying. I like to get the bill and see it. At least that way I
know whats going on.

I don't understand that. You may not get a paper bill in the post -
but *with most suppliers you can access a bill online and print it out
if you *wish. That is certainly true with my BT phone bills and my
Scottish Power *and Southern Electric energy bills.

That has not been my experience with either BT or videophone ( my
mobile phone). The bills are erratic.

Regularity seems to just the same. I used to get a paper bill as well as
the online ones for BT the paper bill would come through the door within
a few days of the online one being ready.

When I do see the bill it isn't like having a paper copy in my had to
read. I can rarely make sense of them

As has been said, you can always view a pdf (I always save a copy of the
pdf copy locally as well) or print it out.

Finally online bill management *seems to mean you have no right of
recourse to speak to anyone, it has to be done online.

I wouldn't say never, there are too many options out there. But none of
mine suppliers. (BG, Npower and BT) Bg is a web specific tariff, were we
don't get the option of paper bills, but I can still phone someone up
with a query. The others are just paperless billing options for
discount. I can still ring them.

But bottom line is, I would like a bill sent . I am old fashioned and
want to sit and read it .

Fair enough. But you are paying for that. Don't know what tarrif you
might be on, but for us with BG we would pay about £150 pa more on the
standard tariff compared to the online one we have

Re the original question. FWIW, I think your consumption is reasonable.
I'd guess that maybe 2/3 consumption goes on heating and HW then around
300 GBP for all the rest seems reasonable.

I think you are right in you belief that there aren't significant
savings to be made given that you seem to be using stuff sensibly. Sure
you might trim a little off by using washing machines/DW less - but you
still ahev to washup/do washing, but there are limits. eg. I'd not
consider a couple of hours of immersion heater a luxury. Boiling water
every time you want HW is a faff,as is having to plan ahead for wanting
a shower or bath

For a possibly not very helpful comparison We are a family of 4 - 2
kids, around a lot in the day. Gas for HW and CH. Largish 4 bed
Victorian house, with probably too many computers etc and lights getting
left on.

Annual consumption up to end of July was about 8200 kwh, which on our
tariff (Click energy 6) was about GBP 725
--
Chris French- Hide quoted text -

Re electricity consumption. I had one of those plugin gadgets that
measures power consumption, power factor & all the rest of it.
I was expecting to find our freezer & fridge were the main culprits
for power use but it wasn't. It was the television!
Our freezer is about ten years old and came second. Maybe OP should
check it's not running too cold & adjust thermostat if neccesary.
Listen to the radio! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 19:20, tony sayer wrote:
In article , sweetheart
hotmail.com@?.? scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
What I really needed to know as per my original question is *are my
electricity costs exorbitant in terms of other peoples or is my OH being
unrealistic in his expectations of reducing it further?
That's why I gave the figures.

Ever thought of asking the neighbours if they have similar properties?...

Ah, well aside of the fact I dont know my neighbours well enough for that, I
am afraid *we do not have similar properties.
I live in a rural hamlet and all the houses are different.

My one neighbour has a 1980's built *four bed house and the other a two bed
1977 built house . Both use wood fires for heating.

I have a large detached bungalow on a smallholding with two beds ( could be
three *if some enterprising family wanted to shuffle up in the sitting room
using it as a diner or even using the kitchen as a diner *instead of having
it as a large room and having separate kitchen and dining rooms. *Mine was
built in 1958. * *There were no other houses around back then. * There was a
small build of houses further up the valley *in the 1980's but they are not
comparable in any way.

But as I said, I really would not feel able to ask.

Ever thought about going LPG gas or solid fuel heating or would that be
too much up front Capx spend?..
--
Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

LPG is a fuel of last resort. More expensive even than storage
heaters. BTW, do your storage heaters have a controlled ouput, ie
fans? If not, this could be your whole problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 09:23, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message

He *just wont spend the money.

Has he got the money to spend?. Sounds like if your getting chest
infections because of mould then thats a serious problem. Perhaps either
too much moisture in the building or too many cold surfaces for it to
condense on..

This is moot. *He says we havent. *He scrutinises all the bills and claims
we cannot afford them.

However, I work *, although its only part time. I get about £906 month take
home in a standard month. If I work overtime I can get maybe £200 more
sometimes but that cannot be counted on.

My husband retired a couple of years ago and gets a pension of £830 month
after tax *from his ex employer. He also has an interest payment of £121
month coming in from investments.currently *( but that cant be totally
relied on either as it could go down in the future - but not for at least 12
months) . We do not get any benefits and he is not old enough for a state
pension *and cant claim pension credit.

We have no mortgage. The electric bill is as I said. *No other fuel. *Our
biggest monthly bill is the council tax at £128 a month and the house
insurance at £20 a month ( just gone up)
We run a car ( I have to go to work).

If you are asking do we have money in the bank to pay the bills - then , yes
we do. *But other half believes we have to save as much as possible because
one day we will be bankrupt because we spend it.

I am not sure what ( other than christmas presents *) we do spend it on.. *In
fact, we dont. The bank balance shows that but OH is a "saver" . He wont
spend on anything. *He has become more *obsessed since he retired.

Well you have a greater income than my wife and myself. We have a
bigger house I think but not much & we grow some of our own food. We
do have foriegn holidays most years.
I think your husband has time on his hands. He needs something to do
instead of fretting about money sat in the house all day alone.
Perhaps become a volunteer. He may have a thing in his mind about you
earning money and him not. I'm told it's common.
I think this recession is worrying a lot of people. Especially if
they've had bad experiences in the last one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

For a possibly not very helpful comparison We are a family of 4 - 2
kids, around a lot in the day. Gas for HW and CH. Largish 4 bed
Victorian house, with probably too many computers etc and lights getting
left on.

Annual consumption up to end of July was about 8200 kwh, which on our
tariff (Click energy 6) was about GBP 725
--
Chris French- Hide quoted text -

Re electricity consumption. I had one of those plugin gadgets that
measures power consumption, power factor & all the rest of it.
I was expecting to find our freezer & fridge were the main culprits
for power use but it wasn't. It was the television!
Our freezer is about ten years old and came second. Maybe OP should
check it's not running too cold & adjust thermostat if neccesary.
Listen to the radio! ;-)

I wouldn't put it past being the TV. Thanks. How much would a plug in
gadget cost?
If it is the TV ( OH has it on all night because he goes to bed late and
gets up late and then puts it on all afternoon ) then I might be able to
make my case for having heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:49, matthelliwell wrote:
On 16 Aug, 12:15, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Its not a relationship problem. Its DIY because I love him to bits.

In that case, is there anywhere to fit a wood burning stove? There's
normally plenty of scrap wood around you can burn so running costs are
low and they can chuck out plenty of heat.

Matt

I have fitted wood burning stoves. DIYing it the cost was more that
£1000.
More than that now I expect. The chimney is the expensive bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 15 Aug, 19:20, tony sayer wrote:
In article , sweetheart
hotmail.com@?.? scribeth thus

LPG is a fuel of last resort. More expensive even than storage
heaters. BTW, do your storage heaters have a controlled ouput, ie
fans? If not, this could be your whole problem.

They have input and output but they do not have fans. The two new ones are
supposed to be the eco friendly greenie type which use less energy. The
others are older ( smaller) but still have input and output controls just
like the new ones).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 21:47, "dennis@home" wrote:
[...]

Air source heat pumps don't work well when you need them, ie when
it's cold. The big advantage with all heat pumps is there is virtually
no maintenance compared with a gas boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
writes

"harry" wrote in message

Re electricity consumption. I had one of those plugin gadgets that
measures power consumption, power factor & all the rest of it.
I was expecting to find our freezer & fridge were the main culprits
for power use but it wasn't. It was the television!
Our freezer is about ten years old and came second. Maybe OP should
check it's not running too cold & adjust thermostat if neccesary.
Listen to the radio! ;-)

I wouldn't put it past being the TV. Thanks. How much would a plug in
gadget cost?

Around £15 from ebay.

This is the one I have (though I got mine a bit cheaper)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electricity-Po...er-KWH-Watt-NE
W-/120576849118

There are some that are cheaper, but this one does take account of the
power factor which makes it more accurate, some chepaer one smay not.
They often don't say.

Things I don't like are it has no backlight to the LCD, so can be hard
to read when still plugged in sometimes, but it also has no battery
backup, so as soon as you unplug it loses all the data
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

In message , sweetheart
writes

Around £15 from ebay.

This is the one I have (though I got mine a bit cheaper)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electricity-Po...er-KWH-Watt-NE
W-/120576849118

There are some that are cheaper, but this one does take account of the
power factor which makes it more accurate, some chepaer one smay not.
They often don't say.

Or this one from Maplin at £12.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343#helpfaq

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 08:17, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:

In message , sweetheart
writes

[...]

I had the device from the library. The local council was having a
"green initiative". So i had to give it back of course. At that time
they were about £12.00
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 09:28, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

[...]

Power factor for the home is near as dammit to unity, so irrelevent
really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
chris French wrote:

In message , sweetheart
writes

Around £15 from ebay.

This is the one I have (though I got mine a bit cheaper)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electricity-Po...er-KWH-Watt-NE
W-/120576849118

There are some that are cheaper, but this one does take account of the
power factor which makes it more accurate, some chepaer one smay not.
They often don't say.

Or this one from Maplin at £12.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343#helpfaq

Which is exactly the same as the one in the link I gave, though cheaper
though when I got mine Maplins were selling them for about £30.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 18 Aug, 09:28, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

depends on what you are running of course. Motosrt will not be. Any SMPS
has a power factor so vile its best not to mention it in polite company.

All the RF filters are essentially capacitative, but not of great size,

Only lights and heaters are truly eresistive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

[...]

I got mine free from British Gas following a recommendation in this
forum some months ago (despite not being a customer) - don't know if
that's still available?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 07:54, Lobster wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

The problem with a lot of them is that it does a lo of things the
average person isn't interested in. Just makes them more confusing to
work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
Which is exactly the same as the one in the link I gave, though cheaper
though when I got mine Maplins were selling them for about £30.

This is a tenner, and includes a 5-way power strip as well:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...No=348228#spec

Seems to work fine, not that I've calibrated it against anything.

Theo

Saving electricity. in Doorbell always uses electricity! willshak Home Repair 0 November 21st 08 04:10 PM
boiler costs - rough costs / options dirt dibbler UK diy 1 July 5th 07 10:39 AM
Electricity costs Staffbull UK diy 44 February 6th 07 11:31 AM
Typical electricity costs per month Staffbull UK diy 18 November 19th 06 02:14 AM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM