Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler costs - rough costs / options

My 3 bed 1930's semi has the cold tanks & hot cylinder in the
bathroom, hence little pressure upstairs & a dedicated cupboard for
them, and a 7 year old conventional boiler in the downstairs kitchen.

I would like to have a shower put in, and the bathroom / suite is
about ready for a make over.

I could just have a mixer power shower fitted & make good with tile
surround etc. which may be fairly cheap, and do the bathroom later.

To free up some space I could have the tanks (new tanks) etc moved
into the loft above, although my heating has a manual valve in the
bathroom to turn all the radiators on, so I think I would need to have
an automatic valve & tank stat. fitted as well, does this get operated
by the timer controller?

Or maybe I should just have a combi fitted, freeing up the space &
giving me some pressure.

Can anyone suggest which route might be better to take...
or some very basic costs to move the tanks to the loft vs replacing
the boiler.

Thanks
DD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dirt dibbler wrote:
[...]

The project I did recently involved taking an old (10yrs) boiler and
fitting a mains pressurized HW tank to it..total cost was around £1500
by a professional plumber.

That included some upgrading of motorized valves etc, and all pipework.

If you have space in the loft, thats an ideal location for a pressurized
tank.

The cost of a combi - even for a small place - was similar or higher.

And the flow rate of hot water would have been inferior.

The header tank and hot water tanks went, the new tank was fitted in a
FAR more convenient location, and the old boiler equipped with a
pressure vessel and pressurized to a modest 1.2 bar or so.

Showers now work extremely well.

Thanks
DD

Labour costs for fitting Megaflo and boiler (16K first estimate) [email protected] UK diy 3 August 30th 06 10:23 PM
Reduce heating costs by improving boiler [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 17th 06 01:46 PM
Gas log costs? ? ? Ray Home Repair 10 January 28th 05 03:22 PM
Rough estimate of new furnace/AC and water heater costs Me Home Repair 2 August 27th 04 02:06 PM