Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Labour costs for fitting Megaflo and boiler (16K first estimate)

We wanted to get a megaflo system and the 1st quote we got from our
builder was £16,000 for supply and fit of boiler and megaflo. Given
that the mega system and boiler we want are no more than £2,500, the
plumber wants to charge £13,500 for his labour costs. This is for a 4
bed house with 2 bathrooms so not exactly a hotel. This sounds
excessive and the guy is taking the proverbial you know what.

What are realistic costs I should be estimating for?

Thx.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
We wanted to get a megaflo system and the 1st quote we got from our
builder was £16,000 for supply and fit of boiler and megaflo. Given
that the mega system and boiler we want are no more than £2,500, the
plumber wants to charge £13,500 for his labour costs. This is for a 4
bed house with 2 bathrooms so not exactly a hotel. This sounds
excessive and the guy is taking the proverbial you know what.

Well there is a lot of that going one here.

It seems that you have a builder doing some building work for you and you
forgot to include what you wanted in the original scope and from the
builders response not the only thing.

What was the original scope which the builder quoted against?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:39:49 -0700, benkhan wrote:

We wanted to get a megaflo system and the 1st quote we got from our
builder was £16,000 for supply and fit of boiler and megaflo. Given
that the mega system and boiler we want are no more than £2,500, the
plumber wants to charge £13,500 for his labour costs. This is for a 4
bed house with 2 bathrooms so not exactly a hotel. This sounds
excessive and the guy is taking the proverbial you know what.

What are realistic costs I should be estimating for?

Thx.

Assuming that this work was an entire above ground water/waste/gas and
heating installation and all second fix work in both bathrooms the figure
quoted is still very very high. Even if you allowed a few thousand for
the new water main it still got to be a "I don't need any work right now
sort of quote".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thx for the responses. in the original quote the builder said he would
not be able to quote on the boiler/megaflo as he didn't know what the
system would be or how it would work. i did make a mistake as i should
have at least got them to price up a normal system. anyway they did
quote to do all the preparation pipework to the boiler and hot water
tank/megaflo. so in theory and practice, all that the plumber needs to
do is the last 1 metre or less of pipework and connections to boiler
etc. i spoke to the megaflo guys and they said the systemfit system
(i.e. pre-wired, preinstalled with pump etc) requires 2 pipe joins
only, so i sort of assumed (perhaps naively/incorrectly) it wouldn't be
too bad later on.

anyway we are getting several other quotes through the builder and
through our own contacts, will need to see how that goes.