Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Electricity costs.

On 15 Aug, 17:11, chris French
wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 15/08/2010 10:26, sweetheart wrote:

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
t...
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:40:13 +0100, Andy Cap wrote:

I'm also sorry to appear flippant, BUT, you problem is not the
electricity but your husband.

Ditto all wot he said.

Do you manage the account wholly on-line? Most suppliers now offer a
discount if you opt for a fully on-line managed account. I get an
extra 10%
discount on my account.

No, to do this would be cheaper I know - about £30 cheaper but to be
honest I have a phone bill on line and its a pain. I can never see what
we are paying. I like to get the bill and see it. At least that way I
know whats going on.

I don't understand that. You may not get a paper bill in the post -
but *with most suppliers you can access a bill online and print it out
if you *wish. That is certainly true with my BT phone bills and my
Scottish Power *and Southern Electric energy bills.

That has not been my experience with either BT or videophone ( my
mobile phone). The bills are erratic.

Regularity seems to just the same. I used to get a paper bill as well as
the online ones for BT the paper bill would come through the door within
a few days of the online one being ready.

When I do see the bill it isn't like having a paper copy in my had to
read. I can rarely make sense of them

As has been said, you can always view a pdf (I always save a copy of the
pdf copy locally as well) or print it out.

Finally online bill management *seems to mean you have no right of
recourse to speak to anyone, it has to be done online.

I wouldn't say never, there are too many options out there. But none of
mine suppliers. (BG, Npower and BT) Bg is a web specific tariff, were we
don't get the option of paper bills, but I can still phone someone up
with a query. The others are just paperless billing options for
discount. I can still ring them.

But bottom line is, I would like a bill sent . I am old fashioned and
want to sit and read it .

Fair enough. But you are paying for that. Don't know what tarrif you
might be on, but for us with BG we would pay about £150 pa more on the
standard tariff compared to the online one we have

Re the original question. FWIW, I think your consumption is reasonable.
I'd guess that maybe 2/3 consumption goes on heating and HW then around
300 GBP for all the rest seems reasonable.

I think you are right in you belief that there aren't significant
savings to be made given that you seem to be using stuff sensibly. Sure
you might trim a little off by using washing machines/DW less - but you
still ahev to washup/do washing, but there are limits. eg. I'd not
consider a couple of hours of immersion heater a luxury. Boiling water
every time you want HW is a faff,as is having to plan ahead for wanting
a shower or bath

For a possibly not very helpful comparison We are a family of 4 - 2
kids, around a lot in the day. Gas for HW and CH. Largish 4 bed
Victorian house, with probably too many computers etc and lights getting
left on.

Annual consumption up to end of July was about 8200 kwh, which on our
tariff (Click energy 6) was about GBP 725
--
Chris French- Hide quoted text -

Re electricity consumption. I had one of those plugin gadgets that
measures power consumption, power factor & all the rest of it.
I was expecting to find our freezer & fridge were the main culprits
for power use but it wasn't. It was the television!
Our freezer is about ten years old and came second. Maybe OP should
check it's not running too cold & adjust thermostat if neccesary.
Listen to the radio! ;-)