Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Cheeky ******* Pt2 - Latest News

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was as
bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph

Sorry, run that again

how regularly do you get your speedometer calibrated and against what

and virtually nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70
mph. I really can drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be overtaken
by a handful of cars.

**** me dennis, should you really be driving if you are blind

Just looked on Frixo for the M6 (north) junction 10 a for example -
AVERAGE real time speed is 82mph now this minute at 22:40

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sM1_n.194954$Hs4.126481@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was as
bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.

However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph and virtually
nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70 mph. I really can
drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be overtaken by a handful of
cars.

Of course no cars CAN overtake you whist you are hogging lane three.

But then, of course, unless he's actually overtaking, he shouldn't be in
lane 3 (or lane 2 for that matter)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower
vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was as
bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.

However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph and
virtually
nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70 mph. I really can
drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be overtaken by a handful of
cars.

Of course no cars CAN overtake you whist you are hogging lane three.

But then, of course, unless he's actually overtaking, he shouldn't be in
lane 3 (or lane 2 for that matter)

There is "overtaking" and there is "going past another car at 1mph faster
than the car you are overtaking". If the car in lane 2 is doing 69mph Dennis
will not put his foot down to get get past and so is hogging lane 3.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was
as bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph

Sorry, run that again

how regularly do you get your speedometer calibrated and against what

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart. If the road is clear
enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the interval.

and virtually nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70
mph. I really can drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be
overtaken by a handful of cars.

**** me dennis, should you really be driving if you are blind

Just looked on Frixo for the M6 (north) junction 10 a for example -
AVERAGE real time speed is 82mph now this minute at 22:40

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

So are you suggesting he should break the speed limit? Just checking.

--
Tim

Yes.

A **** in lane 3 doing 70mph overtaking a car doing 69mph in lane 2 is a
danger on the motorway.

That is why motorways do not flow properly.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2010 18:06, ARWadsworth wrote:

On 2010-07-10, Tim wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was as
bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.

However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph and virtually
nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70 mph. I really can
drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be overtaken by a handful of
cars.

Of course no cars CAN overtake you whist you are hogging lane three.

Adam

but cars in the outside overtaking lane leave the undertaking lane(s)
free but no mention is made of the number of cars undertaking him
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

A **** in lane 3 doing 70mph overtaking a car doing 69mph in lane 2 is a
danger on the motorway.

No! It's the ones in the 'train' at 90 that are the danger.

That is why motorways do not flow properly.

If everyone stuck to the speed limits flow would be improved. I tend to stick
to 56 (what wagons are governed to ) and leave plenty of space. It might add
ten minutes to a longer journey, but leaves one more relaxed and not needing
time to unwind afterwards, making up for the slightly extra journey time.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Jul,
Invisible Man wrote:

but cars in the outside overtaking lane leave the undertaking lane(s)
free but no mention is made of the number of cars undertaking him

The outside lane is usually full of trains, leaving no space for those in
inner lanes to overtake. I just stay in lane one, and suffer less stress, and
little extra journey time.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was
as bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph

Sorry, run that again

how regularly do you get your speedometer calibrated and against what

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart. If the road is clear
enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the interval.

Accurate to 1mph without fluctuation or deviation?

.... And what would dangerous den do when he found that he had become
more than 2mph out ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 10 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

A **** in lane 3 doing 70mph overtaking a car doing 69mph in lane 2 is a
danger on the motorway.

No! It's the ones in the 'train' at 90 that are the danger.

That is why motorways do not flow properly.

If everyone stuck to the speed limits flow would be improved. I tend to
stick
to 56 (what wagons are governed to ) and leave plenty of space. It might
add
ten minutes to a longer journey, but leaves one more relaxed and not
needing
time to unwind afterwards, making up for the slightly extra journey time.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Define a longer journey.

I do Barnsley to Perranporth and back least 4 times a year in one run. I
only stop for fuel and to drop my friend off or pick her up in Perranporth.

I am not sure that dropping my speed to 56mph will only cost me 10 minutes.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 11 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I am not sure that dropping my speed to 56mph will only cost me 10 minutes.

I find going flat out doesn't increase average speed by much. On local
journeys I average about 30. Flat out I might manage 32. Going for maximum
economy I might average 29. Not a lot in it. Try it and post back. You may be
suprised.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , geoff writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower
vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was as
bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph

Sorry, run that again

how regularly do you get your speedometer calibrated and against what

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart. If the road is clear
enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the interval.

Sat navs give a good accurate reading of your speed.

Motorway telephone vary in distance from each other due to slip roads,
bridges, and other such logical reasons.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart.

Err no, nothing like. Boxes are situated a nominal 1.5km apart but that
distance varies greatly depending on local topography. Close to
junctions extra boxes are added to maintain safety by positioning boxes
so no one has to cross a slip road to find a telephone. In rural areas
I've seen boxes up to 2.3km apart.

If the road is clear enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the
interval.

And get completely the wrong figure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I tend to stick to 56 (what wagons are governed to ) and leave plenty of
space. It might add ten minutes to a longer journey, but leaves one more
relaxed and not needing time to unwind afterwards, making up for the
slightly extra journey time.

I generally drive at the legal limit, using cruise control. This means
that my longer journeys take 16 hours of driving. If I drove at 56 mph
it would add eight hours to my driving time.

Your ability to do maths is a bit suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message Wt7_n.95928$9c1.3592@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message ...
On 10 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

[...]

I used to regularly drive from Watford to Nuernberg

56 mph, you have to be joking

As soon as I was in der Vaterland it's a steady 120-130 all the way

If you're a doddery old fart who only drives 20 miles down the road,
YMMV

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 11 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I am not sure that dropping my speed to 56mph will only cost me 10
minutes.

I find going flat out doesn't increase average speed by much. On local
journeys I average about 30. Flat out I might manage 32. Going for maximum
economy I might average 29. Not a lot in it. Try it and post back. You may
be
suprised.

You said longer journeys not local journeys.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 00:51:11 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart.

Err no, nothing like. Boxes are situated a nominal 1.5km apart but that
distance varies greatly depending on local topography. Close to
junctions extra boxes are added to maintain safety by positioning boxes
so no one has to cross a slip road to find a telephone. In rural areas
I've seen boxes up to 2.3km apart.

Many motorways now have the driver location signs, generally (but not
always) 500 metres apart. But since they all give their distance from
some reference point on the motorway, that's irrelevant; just time
between two of them (further apart if possible, not adjacent) and the
maths is simple.

Yes, I know all this is beyone dennis; he probably times using his Mickey
Mouse watch....
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

As soon as I was in der Vaterland it's a steady 120-130 all the way

MPH? And your fuel consumption at these speeds is what?

Dunno about him, but when I used to do it in my Jag(s) the fuel
consumption was a fairly reasonable 23 mpg.

Note: I used to do these sorts of speeds in a Stag when it was still
legal to do so in France.

Taking your life in your hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
(Steve Firth) wrote:

wrote:

I tend to stick to 56 (what wagons are governed to ) and leave plenty of
space. It might add ten minutes to a longer journey, but leaves one more
relaxed and not needing time to unwind afterwards, making up for the
slightly extra journey time.

I generally drive at the legal limit, using cruise control. This means
that my longer journeys take 16 hours of driving. If I drove at 56 mph
it would add eight hours to my driving time.

Your ability to do maths is a bit suspect.

It's not maths it's arithmetic.

I think you will find that arithmetic is maths, but maths is not
arithmetic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message vt6_n.239760$_m6.124885@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

And.. allowing joining traffic to move immediately to the outside lane
causes hold-ups and annoys other drivers.

Portugal and F1 have solid lines prohibiting just such behaviour.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph

In the middle lane? Get out of the damn way.

He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was
as bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph

Sorry, run that again

how regularly do you get your speedometer calibrated and against what

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart. If the road is clear
enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the interval.

Accurate to 1mph without fluctuation or deviation?

... And what would dangerous den do when he found that he had become
more than 2mph out ?

Suicide?

He hasn't mentioned GPS.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

ISTR that motorway phone boxes are 1 mile apart.

Err no, nothing like. Boxes are situated a nominal 1.5km apart but that
distance varies greatly depending on local topography. Close to
junctions extra boxes are added to maintain safety by positioning boxes
so no one has to cross a slip road to find a telephone. In rural areas
I've seen boxes up to 2.3km apart.

Oh! Duff brain cells. What about those white painted squares?

If the road is clear enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the
interval.

And get completely the wrong figure.

Probably. More a matter of avoiding boredom. Fitting a different engine,
gearbox and wheels to my car rather cocked up the speedo calibration.
Early days of MOTs and very pre sat. nav. so no one complained.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article , geoff
wrote:

In message Wt7_n.95928$9c1.3592@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message ...
On 10 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

[...]

Fairly high, not something I was really concerned with

Note: I used to do these sorts of speeds in a Stag when it was still
legal to do so in France.

Were stags around when it was legal to do so then ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Err no, nothing like. Boxes are situated a nominal 1.5km apart but that
distance varies greatly depending on local topography. Close to
junctions extra boxes are added to maintain safety by positioning boxes
so no one has to cross a slip road to find a telephone. In rural areas
I've seen boxes up to 2.3km apart.

Oh! Duff brain cells.

Not really just not obvious unless you have worked in telematics. You
can tell how far apart the boxes are supposed to be from the numbers
painted on them. These are the distances in 1/10ths of a km from a datum
point (Staples Corner for the M1) written out without the decimal point.
So the difference in numbers between two boxes gives the distance in
1/10th of a km. Sadly traffic accidents take boxes off the road and the
crews that put them back aren't always precise so it's not to be relied
upon for use in court.

What about those white painted squares?

Police have those put in, the distances vary but are usually 1/2 a mile.
except when they aren't.

If the road is clear enough to maintain a fixed speed you could time the
interval.

And get completely the wrong figure.

Probably. More a matter of avoiding boredom. Fitting a different engine,
gearbox and wheels to my car rather cocked up the speedo calibration.
Early days of MOTs and very pre sat. nav. so no one complained.

The 100 metre chainage posts are more accurate, but can still be carried
away by accidents then put back in the wrong place. Generally more
reliable than the phone boxes for distance calculations, and more of
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-10, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Far worse than that are the drivers that after overtaking move from L2 to L1
just as they are passing an on slip and a car is joining the Mway.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 11 Jul,
Clive George wrote:

Indeed - yes to both. Hence the problem with the idea of going for
maximum economy :-)
The PP did specify local journeys - not much point in taking the car a
mile to town, when the bikes can handle pretty much any trip there
(including groceries and 13kg gas cylinders).

Local journeys to me are 10-30 miles. Anything shorter is by bike, foot or
bus.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Local journeys to me are 10-30 miles. Anything shorter is by bike, foot or
bus.

But earlier in this thread you were describing such a distance as "a
longer journey".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Of course no cars CAN overtake you whist you are hogging lane three.

Not even in lane 4?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news

At 56 mph, I would be liable to fall asleep from sheer boredom

You shouldn't really be driving then.
You can't guaranty that the traffic won't be doing 50 mph and you can't
drive safely at that speed so you should declare your medical problem and
quit driving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Of course no cars CAN overtake you whist you are hogging lane three.

Not even in lane 4?

That leaves you in a difficult position. You best get out to lane 4 to be a
self empolyed policeman and hold everyone else up.

Now go **** up a flag pole you **** stick.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 10 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

[...]

Well assuming you can manage 70 on all the motorway bits you would save
about 40 minutes.
I doubt if you could manage 70 on quite a lot of that motorway run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Not even in lane 4?

The millions of pounds and months of delays caused by widening the
Nottingham stretch of the M1 to four lanes seem to be a total waste of
time and money, traffic runs slower[1] on that section now than before,
people just seem to drive in lanes 2/3/4 rather than 1/2/3.

[1] Perhaps the warning signs for the non-existent speed cameras are
partly to blame.

OT Cheeky Bastard ARWadsworth UK diy 32 June 13th 10 01:02 PM
Cheeky beggers Jim S UK diy 29 January 14th 09 02:50 PM
Cheeky Git! The Medway Handyman UK diy 111 November 26th 06 03:56 PM
dirty bastard [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 3rd 06 10:26 PM
Cheap bastard [email protected] UK diy 22 March 15th 06 09:09 AM