Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Default Laptop Batteries where to buy?...

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone can
recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery Li-ion
pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

Cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

tony sayer wrote:
As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
(Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

Cheers..

www.batteryexpress.org.uk are local to me so I went to the place when I
needed a battery for my Acer Aspire 5630. Good battery, decent price, so
yeah, I'd recommend them.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
can recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a Toshiba
one and is OK.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer
Gio Gio is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
can recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a Toshiba
one and is OK.

And the company was ? :-)

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

tony sayer wrote:

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
(Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a
Toshiba one and is OK.

And the company was ? :-)

smart_parts_uk
Boris Stavenko
London
SW6 1QA

So there. ;-)

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 14:43:19 on Sun, 16 May
2010, Gio remarked:

I was happy with a laptop battery from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/hk3zone
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

http://laptopbits.co.uk/ good service, have use them a few times.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

tony sayer wrote:

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
(Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a
Toshiba one and is OK.

And the company was ? :-)

smart_parts_uk
Boris Stavenko
London
SW6 1QA

So there. ;-)

--

Well better than me, I forgot to enter where we bought ours from ! We also
bought a camcorder battery and charger at the same time.

http://www.exceldigital.org.uk/

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:11:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

tony sayer wrote:

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop.
Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment
(Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a
Toshiba one and is OK.

And the company was ? :-)

smart_parts_uk
Boris Stavenko
London
SW6 1QA

So there. ;-)

I bought one from them. It waa faulty. In a strange reversal of most posts
of this nature, I complained, they apologised & sent me a perfectly good
one so I'd recommend them.

--
Duncan Wood

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 16:16:09 on
Sun, 16 May 2010, Jeff Strickland remarked:
Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
unrecognised by the laptop.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:16:09 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:
Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the
UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's
quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would
last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

But, having bought compatible batteries for cameras and phones from these sorts (not
the specific ones mentioned here) of suppliers, which went flat in a fraction (a small
fraction) of the time that the one which came with the device lasted, AND held less and
less charge, for less and less time in the ensuing months. I can't help but think
there are too many crooks, fakes and bogus claims out there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the
UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's
quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would
last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
No sale...

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In article ,
Jon Green wrote:
On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
No sale...

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jon Green wrote:
On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
No sale...

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain
it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

And cells are probably +-10% anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In articleNcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Jon wrote:
It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
No sale...

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
"replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Blog: http://bit.ly/45cLHw Pix: http://bit.ly/d8V2NJ
Website: http://www.green-lines.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Jon wrote:
It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
No sale...

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is
equal.

Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
"replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Jon

If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower
capacity ones.
--
Duncan Wood
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Jon Green Inscribed thus:

On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was
5800mAH.
No sale...

Jon

Manufacturers are reducing the capacity of the battery packs as a method
of reducing costs. I've seen Acer laptops with three battery size
options for the same machine ! Only machine cosmetic differences and
price, separate them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

On May 17, 11:01*am, Jon Green wrote:

In articleNcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdn...@brightvie w.co.uk,
* * Jon *wrote:
It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
and the third party replacement. *I was looking at one for my laptop:
4400mAH as quoted. *When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
* *No sale...

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
"replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
quality of the cells it contains. *I value my laptop enough that I don't
want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

On 17/05/2010 12:25, Man at B&Q wrote:
On May 17, 11:01 am, Jon wrote:
Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
"replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

Not in this case. The standard part is 5800mAH; there are
higher-capacity ones available, but none lower AFAICT.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Blog: http://bit.ly/45cLHw Pix: http://bit.ly/d8V2NJ
Website: http://www.green-lines.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

"tony sayer" wrote in message

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
can
recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
Li-ion
pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.
Was
very hard to find a better price without significant effort. Delivered
quickly. Worked
fine.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 10:58:59 on
Tue, 18 May 2010, Chris Shore remarked:

I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.

Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 10:58:59 on Tue,
18 May 2010, Chris Shore remarked:

I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.

Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?

The receipt says it came from "Smart Parts UK".

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 16:42:01 on
Tue, 18 May 2010, Chris Shore remarked:
I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.

Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?

The receipt says it came from "Smart Parts UK".

That's the marketplace, then. A sort of up-market "buy-it-now" eBay, but
not buying from Amazon itself (as you might for some things).
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?

Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
(because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?
And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying. Can end
in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or perhaps you
think con artists don't exist in the UK?

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 17:33:17 on Wed, 19 May
2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?

Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
(because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?

In more ethical factories.

And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.

If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

Can end in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or
perhaps you think con artists don't exist in the UK?

Of course they do, but they are easier to get redress from (directly or
indirectly).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Roland Perry wrote:
You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?

Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
(because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?

In more ethical factories.

Bwhaha.

there are only half a dozen LIPO manufacturing plants in the world and
almost all are in China.

The difference is the spec of the cells they sell, and how they are
packaged. not where they are made.

And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.

If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

Can end in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or
perhaps you think con artists don't exist in the UK?

Of course they do, but they are easier to get redress from (directly or
indirectly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Roland Perry wrote:
You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?

Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
(because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?

In more ethical factories.

And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.

If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

No. If the seller is in britain you can tip off thelr local trading
standards. It's also easier and quicker to get a replacement from a UK
based operation (presuming they don't have to send it back to .cn
first). The ease of getting satisfaction has a real financial worth.

Can end in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or
perhaps you think con artists don't exist in the UK?

Of course they do, but they are easier to get redress from (directly or
indirectly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 18:15:40 on Wed, 19
May 2010, pete remarked:
And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.

If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

No. If the seller is in britain you can tip off thelr local trading
standards.

I think you meant "yes", if the seller is a liar, and lives in China,
you are stuffed.

The ease of getting satisfaction has a real financial worth.

Exactly, which is why I've been suggesting people buy from a locally
based outfit.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In message , at 18:35:11 on Wed, 19 May
2010, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?

In more ethical factories.

Bwhaha.

there are only half a dozen LIPO manufacturing plants in the world and
almost all are in China.

The difference is the spec of the cells they sell, and how they are
packaged. not where they are made.

So you reckon there are factories that cheerfully stick labels on
batteries overstating their capacity, at the same time as making
identical looking ones that have a "proper" capacity?

This isn't about China, it's about different factories in China.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:35:11 on Wed, 19 May
2010, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?
In more ethical factories.

Bwhaha.

there are only half a dozen LIPO manufacturing plants in the world and
almost all are in China.

The difference is the spec of the cells they sell, and how they are
packaged. not where they are made.

So you reckon there are factories that cheerfully stick labels on
batteries overstating their capacity, at the same time as making
identical looking ones that have a "proper" capacity?

No, but there are plenty of retail packagers who do exactly that.

This isn't about China, it's about different factories in China.

No, its not about batteries, or their factories, its about the cell
packagers and marketers.

Think back again to Uncle Clive, selling reject transistors at inflated
prices to suckers

Its not even about factories in China.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

Dave Plowman (News) ,:

In article ,
Kev Bishop kevb@ wrote:

snip

Wonder what group you're trolling from?

Kev has been trolling from cam.misc of late.

But... Whatever. shrug

--
brianlj
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc,alt.computer

In article ,
Kev Bishop kevb@ wrote:
Wonder what group you're trolling from?

Care to point out where my comments that show your trolling contain any
of mine own? Thought not. If you really can't face up to how wrong you
were then that is entirely your own problem, if you *still* don't think
you were either prove it or move on, I have stated the case for my
opinion, now either continue to sidestep and snipe or reply
responsibly.

Tell you what, pet. You buy your replacement laptop batteries at full
price from wherever you want and leave others to take any risks if they
prefer not to. Or give actual details of all the problems you've had when
importing from China - not all the 'what ifs' you seem so fond of.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.