BigWallop

Default Touch sensitive Light switch for bathroom

"dave" wrote in message
Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light switch suitable

for
bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of the pullcord!
thanks

Yes, if it's fitted outside the bathroom area. In fact, any switch can be
fitted outside the bathroom area, and it is only a limited few that can be
installed within the bathroom.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

In uk.d-i-y, BigWallop wrote:

Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light switch suitable

for
bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of the pullcord!
thanks

Yes, if it's fitted outside the bathroom area. In fact, any switch can be
fitted outside the bathroom area, and it is only a limited few that can be
installed within the bathroom.

While the blanket statement was true until the 16th Edn, we now have
Zones in the bathroom (that may be what BigW meant by "bathroom area").
Roughly: in and right above the bath, no steenkin' switches barring
controls on electric showers (Zone0 & Zone1); arm's reach of the bath
(Zone2), pullcords only; Zone3 (further out to 2.4m) "normal" switches
now permitted.

"Permitted" doesn't mean "brilliant idea", mind; for a touch-sensitive
switch I'd want to know how it worked (there used to be some built in
to metal lamps which gave a distinct little tingle when you touched 'em:
*not* what I want in a bathroom, and equipotential-bonding such a
switch's metal exposed-conductive-part would make it Not Work anyway!
- whereas a non-contact capacitive type would be sensible).

HTH, Stefek
Mary Fisher

"Permitted" doesn't mean "brilliant idea", mind; for a touch-sensitive
switch I'd want to know how it worked (there used to be some built in
to metal lamps which gave a distinct little tingle when you touched 'em:
*not* what I want in a bathroom, and equipotential-bonding such a
switch's metal exposed-conductive-part would make it Not Work anyway!
- whereas a non-contact capacitive type would be sensible).

But remember, folks, it's perfectly legal to carry a bucket of water aound
and use light switches.

Mary

HTH, Stefek

John

Try different makes of switches - some may not CUDUNK as much. Mine goes
CERLICK.

--

Regards

John

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"dave" wrote in message
Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light switch

suitable
for
bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of the pullcord!
thanks

Yes, if it's fitted outside the bathroom area. In fact, any switch can be
fitted outside the bathroom area, and it is only a limited few that can be
installed within the bathroom.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Owain

"John" wrote
| "dave" wrote
| Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light
| switch suitable for bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of
| the pullcord!
| Try different makes of switches - some may not CUDUNK as much. Mine goes
| CERLICK.

Mine goes CLI-CLI-DUNK! - I think it's loose on its mounting screw, that'll
be Next Month's Little Job.

The OP could try a Dimpull:

Pull cord dimmer
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPCD51.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...er/Dimpull.htm

Also says it is suitable for use with bathroom fans.

Owain

Steve

dave wrote:
Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light switch suitable for
bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of the pullcord!
thanks

You might find a battery powered X10 switch that can do what you want.

Steve

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Permitted" doesn't mean "brilliant idea", mind; for a touch-sensitive
switch I'd want to know how it worked (there used to be some built in
to metal lamps which gave a distinct little tingle when you touched 'em:
*not* what I want in a bathroom, and equipotential-bonding such a
switch's metal exposed-conductive-part would make it Not Work anyway!
- whereas a non-contact capacitive type would be sensible).

But remember, folks, it's perfectly legal to carry a bucket of water aound
and use light switches.

Mary

HTH, Stefek

But not to sensible to stand in a metal bucket full of water with wet hands
and then use touch sensitive light switches. :-))

Baxter Basics

Hi,

we have a dimpull and its virtually silent.
Now I just need an aquarium heater so I can dim the lights and fall asleep
in the bath indefinately.

Bax

"Owain" wrote in message
"John" wrote
| "dave" wrote
| Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light
| switch suitable for bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of
| the pullcord!
| Try different makes of switches - some may not CUDUNK as much. Mine goes
| CERLICK.

Mine goes CLI-CLI-DUNK! - I think it's loose on its mounting screw,

that'll
be Next Month's Little Job.

The OP could try a Dimpull:

Pull cord dimmer
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPCD51.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...er/Dimpull.htm

Also says it is suitable for use with bathroom fans.

Owain

Tim Mitchell

In article , Owain
writes
"John" wrote
| "dave" wrote
| Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light
| switch suitable for bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of
| the pullcord!
| Try different makes of switches - some may not CUDUNK as much. Mine goes
| CERLICK.

Mine goes CLI-CLI-DUNK! - I think it's loose on its mounting screw, that'll
be Next Month's Little Job.

mine goes ca-ping!! in a musical twangy sort of way. I feel a symphony
coming on here, lets sample them all...
--
Tim Mitchell
BigWallop

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
news
In article , Owain
writes
"John" wrote
| "dave" wrote
| Is there such a thing available as a touch sensitive light
| switch suitable for bathroom use? I hate that CUDONK of
| the pullcord!
| Try different makes of switches - some may not CUDUNK as much. Mine

goes
| CERLICK.

Mine goes CLI-CLI-DUNK! - I think it's loose on its mounting screw,

that'll
be Next Month's Little Job.

mine goes ca-ping!! in a musical twangy sort of way. I feel a symphony
coming on here, lets sample them all...
--
Tim Mitchell

ROFL !!!

Like the old Morecambe and Wise sketch that went,

"Boom Oo Ra Ta Ta Tat. Are you lonesome tonight. Are your bra straps to
tight. Do your corsets keep drifting apart. Are your shoes wearing thin.
Is there gaps when you grin. I'll tell you dear, no wonder your lonesome
tonight." :-))

Light Switch Advise Chris Spyrou UK diy 10 October 10th 03 06:02 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
Waterproof light switch? Peter UK diy 11 September 27th 03 11:15 PM
Door-operated mains light switch BigWallop UK diy 5 September 15th 03 02:43 PM
Cooker switch light flickering Adam UK diy 7 July 11th 03 07:55 PM