Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polystyrene coving

I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the stuff
http://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor (link goes to Axminster tools) but what's the
best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw? Hacksaw?
Bread knife? Something else?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 12:24*pm, "Dave" wrote:
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the stuffhttp://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor(link goes to Axminster tools) but what's the
best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw? Hacksaw?
Bread knife? Something else?

Have you thought about the risk of polystyrene in the event of fire?
Breathing in fumes from that stuff would be fatal if you were trying
to get out the house in a hurry. IMO, it looks sh*te compared to
plasterboard based coving even when painted.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/10 12:32, Dave Starling wrote:

On Jan 9, 12:24 pm, wrote:

polystyrene coving

it looks sh*te compared to plasterboard based coving even when painted.

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/10 12:38, Andy Burns wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

s/based/covered/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave explained :
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the stuff
http://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor (link goes to Axminster tools) but what's the best
implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw? Hacksaw? Bread
knife? Something else?

It cuts cleaner with a hot wire cutter, but failing that hacksaw or
bread knife using a gentle sawing action.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the stuff
http://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor (link goes to Axminster tools) but what's the
best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw? Hacksaw?
Bread knife? Something else?

A garden shredder, then go and buy something that isn't hideous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

And margarine tastes exactly like butter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling
wibbled on Saturday 09 January 2010 12:32

On Jan 9, 12:24 pm, "Dave" wrote:
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the
stuffhttp://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor(link goes to Axminster tools) but what's
the best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw?
Hacksaw? Bread knife? Something else?

Have you thought about the risk of polystyrene in the event of fire?
Breathing in fumes from that stuff would be fatal if you were trying
to get out the house in a hurry. IMO, it looks sh*te compared to
plasterboard based coving even when painted.

Dave.

The look depends on what product you use. I agree WRT the traaditional EPS
stuff.

I've used Gyproc Lite and it is impossible to tell it apart from normal
Gyproc (the profiles are identical).

I have two sections to my hall ceiling - one in 100mm PB Gyproc and the
other in 100mm Gyproc Lite. You really absolutely cannot see the difference.

I agree the fire risk remains, but I don't rate it any worse than curtains
and soft furnishings and being up high, I think by the time any fire gets up
there, you'll want to be out of there anyway.

The advantage of Gyproc Lite is it's rather easier to hump it around. 6x3m
pack of Gyproc weighs a ton and is a pain to mount on the car roof.

Interestingly, the Gyproc Lite was actually quite hard foam - I cut it with
the same saw I'd been using for PB Gyproc and it wasn't that soft. It cut
absolutely cleanly too.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth
wibbled on Saturday 09 January 2010 12:54

Andy Burns wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

And margarine tastes exactly like butter.

Look at the Gyproc Lite - I guarantee even a man of your impeecible tastes
won't tell the difference.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave explained :
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in
the stuff http://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor (link goes to Axminster tools)
but what's the best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving
with? Wood saw? Hacksaw? Bread knife? Something else?

It cuts cleaner with a hot wire cutter, but failing that hacksaw or
bread knife using a gentle sawing action.

Thank you very much Harry - the only person to actually answer the question
I asked.

I know plaster/Gyproc Lite coving looks, and indeed is, better but (a) we've
got a huge amount to do and the budget won't stretch that far and (b) we've
already bought the polystyrene coving because that's all our budget would
allow.

Regarding the fire risk and polystyrene - we have no kids, we don't smoke
and the house was recently rewired so I think we could be classed as a
low(er) risk household. However, just in case a fire should break out, we
have mains operated (battery backup) interlinked smoke alarms in almost
every room (and an emergency light in the hallway and on the landing wired
into that circuit that provide indication of mains failure), so I reckon the
risk of polystyrene coving is an acceptable one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Dave wrote :
Regarding the fire risk and polystyrene - we have no kids, we don't smoke and
the house was recently rewired so I think we could be classed as a low(er)
risk household. However, just in case a fire should break out, we have mains
operated (battery backup) interlinked smoke alarms in almost every room (and
an emergency light in the hallway and on the landing wired into that circuit
that provide indication of mains failure), so I reckon the risk of
polystyrene coving is an acceptable one.

It is certain to be the flame retardant type, which only chars and does
not itself support combustion, but it does tend to give off fumes. Test
a small piece to be sure.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from (Steve Firth) contains these words:

Andy Burns wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

And margarine tastes exactly like butter.

Nah -- it tastes like "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" from extra-sour olive oil
marketers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 12:24 pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

that will be high density foam. Cuts and shapes beautifully.

Burns all right though. very acrid fumes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 1:24 am, "Dave" wrote:
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the stuffhttp://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor(link goes to Axminster tools) but what's the
best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw? Hacksaw?
Bread knife? Something else?

I (and the professionals next door) use an old back saw in a mitre
box.
The polystyrene is outdoors so I don't know or care whether it's fire
retarded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

And margarine tastes exactly like butter.

Look at the Gyproc Lite - I guarantee even a man of your impeecible tastes
won't tell the difference.

90% of uk.d-i-yers can't tell the difference between Stork
Margerine and plasterboard?

--
JĂłn Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve

Andy wrote:

The paper covered polystyrene coving can look as good as the paper based
plaster coving.

And margarine tastes exactly like butter.

Look at the Gyproc Lite - I guarantee even a man of your impeecible tastes
won't tell the difference.

90% of uk.d-i-yers can't tell the difference between Stork
Margerine and plasterboard?

And it doesn't matter because you can't buy margarine in the UK anyway.
(At least, not in an ordinary retail outlet. Daresay there could be some
deli that imports some obscure form.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

And it doesn't matter because you can't buy margarine in the UK anyway.

Yes right, they changed the name to "spread" so it's all gone away
rolls eyes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

Rod wrote:

And it doesn't matter because you can't buy margarine in the UK anyway.

Yes right, they changed the name to "spread" so it's all gone away
rolls eyes.

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

And it doesn't matter because you can't buy margarine in the UK anyway.

Yes right, they changed the name to "spread" so it's all gone away
rolls eyes.

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Pretty sure there isn't much definition attached to 'margarine'

Wiki is interesting

The definition for margarine originally came from the legal definition
for butter €” both contained a minimum of 16% water and a minimum fat
content of 80%. This was adopted by all major producers and became the
industry standard.[11]

The principal raw material in the original formulation of margarine was
beef fat derived from oleo oil. Shortages in supply soon led to the
addition of vegetable oils and between 1900 and 1920 margarine was
produced from a combination of animal fats and hardened and unhardened
vegetable oils.[12] The depression of the 1930s, followed by the
rationing of World War II, led to a reduction in supply of animal fat;
and, by 1945, it almost completely disappeared from the market.[12] In
the U.S., problems with supply, coupled with changes in legislation, had
caused the manufacturers to change over almost completely to vegetable
fats by 1950 and the industry was ready for an era of product
development.[12]

During WWII rationing, only two types of margarine were available in the
UK, a premium brand and a cheaper budget brand. With the end of
rationing in 1954 the market was opened to the forces of supply and
demand and brand marketing became prevalent.[12] The competition between
the major producers was given further impetus with the beginning of
commercial television advertising in 1955; and, throughout the 1950s and
1960s, competing companies vied with each other to produce the margarine
that tasted most like butter.[12]

In the mid-1960s, the introduction of two lower-fat blends of butter oil
and vegetable oils in Scandinavia, called Lätt & Lagom and Bregott,
clouded the issue of what should be called "margarine" and began the
debate that led to the introduction of the term "spread".[11] In 1978,
an 80% fat product called Krona, made by churning a blend of dairy cream
and vegetable oils, was introduced in Europe; and, in 1982, a blend of
cream and vegetable oils called Clover was introduced in the UK by the
Milk Marketing Board.[11] The vegetable oil and cream spread I Can't
Believe It's Not Butter! was introduced in the United States in 1986 and
in the United Kingdom and Canada in 1991.[13][14]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Rod wrote:

[...]

Part of the legal definition of margarine may be found he

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/uksi_19953116_en_1.htm

As I understand margarine must have certain levels of vitamins A & D (to
make it broadly similar to butter)[1]. "Spreads" do not have to conform.

(And if you follow various links you also find older version of the
legal definitions, etc.)

[1] Vitamin content of margarine
4.€”(1) Any margarine sold by retail shall contain in every 100
grams of such margarine€”

(a) not less than 800 micrograms and not more than 1000
micrograms of vitamin A, and

(b) not less than 7.05 micrograms and not more than 8.82
micrograms of vitamin D,

and a proportionate amount in any part of 100 grams.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

And it doesn't matter because you can't buy margarine in the UK anyway.

Yes right, they changed the name to "spread" so it's all gone away
rolls eyes.

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.

Errm, no need for the pinch of salt, that's how it's made.

Look up "pomace oil" and "lampante" for details. Extracted with steam
and hexane, considered unfit for human consumption by most authorities,
but it finds its way into food by the cunning trick of being designated
"fit for human consumption".

http://www.bulkoil.com/ListAdsGriglia.aspx?AdsOil=5
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Nope, I stick to butter these days.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon d
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 01:45

Steve Firth wrote:

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Nope, I stick to butter these days.

Pete

Yep - butter is natural...

I do hold marg (my definition) in the fridge for my son whom milk products
disagree with. Found Bertoulli (sp) pretty good - seems to cook well and
tastes OK (for marg).

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.

MRM.

Mechanically recovered meat.

Pressure wash all the **** off the bones, and make pies with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Nope, I stick to butter these days.

Pete

Yep - butter is natural...

and olive oil is not?

Hmm.

I do hold marg (my definition) in the fridge for my son whom milk products
disagree with. Found Bertoulli (sp) pretty good - seems to cook well and
tastes OK (for marg).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:54

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.
Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.

MRM.

Mechanically recovered meat.

Pressure wash all the **** off the bones, and make pies with it.

Is it really much different to boiling the bones for stock and broth?
But this is the difference between a non cheap steak pie and a 49p Happy
Shopper pasty...

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 10:55

Steve Firth wrote:

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the
residual oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in
Italy is then de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with
lecithin and water to make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.
Nope, I stick to butter these days.

Pete

Yep - butter is natural...

and olive oil is not?

Not when it's been hydrogenated - I'd call that an artificial process.
Although I realise that not all spreads have been hyrdrogenated - some are
just an emulsified blend of random things.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

MRM.

Mechanically recovered meat.

Pressure wash all the **** off the bones, and make pies with it.

Eyes, lips and arseholes burgers and pies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.

Errm, no need for the pinch of salt, that's how it's made.

Look up "pomace oil" and "lampante" for details. Extracted with steam
and hexane, considered unfit for human consumption by most authorities,
but it finds its way into food by the cunning trick of being designated
"fit for human consumption".

Accompanied by a wodge of cash in a brown envelope "From Uncle Tony",
somewhere along the line, I've no doubt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 12/01/2010 11:03, Tim W wrote:

Not when it's been hydrogenated - I'd call that an artificial process.
Although I realise that not all spreads have been hyrdrogenated - some are
just an emulsified blend of random things.

Although when I checked up on Olivio, the hydrogenated oil is, IIRC,
soybean oil not olive. Doesn't for one moment change the general ideas
just a specific detail.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 18:40

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

MRM.

Mechanically recovered meat.

Pressure wash all the **** off the bones, and make pies with it.

Eyes, lips and arseholes burgers and pies.

You forgot "testicles" - and "value mince" (or most mince that isn't
advertised as "pure steak").

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

Polystyrene Coving ,,, Arfa Daily UK diy 66 March 3rd 17 03:17 PM
polystyrene any use? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 18 January 25th 08 03:09 PM
polystyrene vs fiberglass cece e. Home Repair 6 July 14th 06 02:32 PM
Polystyrene coving Mogweed UK diy 11 February 5th 05 01:35 PM
Polystyrene coving - stopping cracks from appearing at joints Jake UK diy 4 July 7th 03 12:29 AM