Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polystyrene Coving ,,,

What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My daughter
bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now finished
:-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the cheapskate that
she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that I would just be
able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an experiment on some
low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how sharp the cutting
tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter
to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the
knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would
you use ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now
finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the
cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that
I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an
experiment on some low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how
sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I
made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if
you don't have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing
up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

Proper plaster coving you can easily cut with a saw?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hamish Shufflebotham wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now
finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the
cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that
I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an
experiment on some low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how
sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I
made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if
you don't have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing
up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

Proper plaster coving you can easily cut with a saw?

well that was helpful
never tried but I would have thought a sharp knife

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct, 16:38, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ?

Just snap it by hand until it fits in the bin, then get some decent
plaster stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is
now finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the
cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting
that I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit
of an experiment on some low density stuff like this, showed that no
matter how sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut
finish. So I made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was
perfect, but if you don't have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to
knock such a thing up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

Proper plaster coving you can easily cut with a saw?

well that was helpful

Yeah, there's always one ...

never tried but I would have thought a sharp knife

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

I tried a sharp craft knife, and it's ok until you get a little way in, then
it sort of stops cutting. hard to describe.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 11 Oct, 16:38, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ?

Just snap it by hand until it fits in the bin, then get some decent
plaster stuff.

Ah. Always TWO then ... Planks ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 11 Oct, 16:38, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ?

Just snap it by hand until it fits in the bin, then get some decent
plaster stuff.

Ah. Always TWO then ... Planks ...

Arfa

I've always cut it with an old handsaw, the coarser the better
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

8

I tried a sharp craft knife, and it's ok until you get a little way in,
then it sort of stops cutting. hard to describe.

I use a a 10" cooks knife, the damn thing is sharp enough to cut glass fibre
insulation without "sawing".

If the wife finds out she may not like it. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:38:34 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My daughter
bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now finished
:-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the cheapskate that
she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that I would just be
able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an experiment on some
low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how sharp the cutting
tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter
to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the
knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would
you use ?

Arfa

A sharp knife. You're going to have to use a filler of some kind on
the joint anyway before painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is
now finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being
the cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four,
trusting that I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other
two. A bit of an experiment on some low density stuff like this,
showed that no matter how sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to
get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and
the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the knowledge and bits
in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

fine handsaw, and wipe some filler into the join where needed (it will be).
I've used paper-covered polystyrene coving and it looks fine when it's
decorated.

--
Criticising the government is not illegal, but on investigation often
turns out to be linked to other offences

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now
finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the
cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that
I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an
experiment on some low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how
sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I
made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if
you don't have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing
up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

You need a knife(Modellers) with a round edge rather than a flat
blade(Stanley) for polystyrene.

Do people still buy that sh*ite?

Plaster type coving is quite cheap compared to the polystyrene rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is
now finished
:-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the cheapskate
:that
she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that I would just
be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an experiment on
some low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how sharp the
cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot
wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't
have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up,
what else would you use ?

I wouldn't use it at all. Apart from the problems it can cause in a fire
(poisonous fumes) it always looks what it is even after painting. It's not
as though the plaster stuff costs much more.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

My uncle spent a long weekend experimenting with my dad in developing a
hot-wire saw using his car battery as a 12v source.

He then drove home.

He was on the phone to mum & dad to say that he had just got home safely
when he was quoted as saying "Ah, I've got to go now, the car has just burst
into flames".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

My uncle spent a long weekend experimenting with my dad in developing a
hot-wire saw using his car battery as a 12v source.

He then drove home.

He was on the phone to mum & dad to say that he had just got home safely
when he was quoted as saying "Ah, I've got to go now, the car has just burst
into flames".

why would that make the car burst into flames? are you suggesting it
damaged the battery?
--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

I tried a sharp craft knife, and it's ok until you get a little way in, then
it sort of stops cutting. hard to describe.

I know what you mean; doesn't the fact that you get a clean leading (ie
visible) edge mean that's OK though?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:02:06 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Polystyrene can be put up with wallpaper paste very quickly. Once the
joints are filled and the whole lot painted you cannot tell the
difference. And much easier to remove when the female of the house
decides a change of decor is needed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alang wrote:
Polystyrene can be put up with wallpaper paste very quickly. Once the
joints are filled and the whole lot painted you cannot tell the
difference.

I think you can - the texture still shows through. Although the paper
covered stuff may sort that. Also the fact that it bends to fit is often a
giveaway.

And much easier to remove when the female of the house
decides a change of decor is needed

I tend to think of coving as a fixture rather than a wallpaper.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

You can,you never seen peoples thumb&finger indents on it?

And much easier to remove when the female of the house
decides a change of decor is needed

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:39:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Alang wrote:
Polystyrene can be put up with wallpaper paste very quickly. Once the
joints are filled and the whole lot painted you cannot tell the
difference.

I think you can - the texture still shows through. Although the paper
covered stuff may sort that.

I've only used it in one house. S couple of coats of emulsion hid the
texture.

Also the fact that it bends to fit is often a
giveaway.

That's why you need to glue it straight and fill the gaps

And much easier to remove when the female of the house
decides a change of decor is needed

I tend to think of coving as a fixture rather than a wallpaper.

Only plaster.

I have plaster coving in one room and a polystyrene centre rose. Can't
really tell the difference unless you are 8 foot tall
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:52:34 GMT, "George"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Not on any I've put up

And much easier to remove when the female of the house
decides a change of decor is needed

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?

Because the builders who ripped them out were numbskulls,take my CH heating
installers for instance...they were going to chase out the fancy victorian
coving in one corner by the gas cupboard not to mention the hall coving as
well, there would have been murder if they had done that and its a good job
I asked where the pipes were going to be positioned before the work
started..

A room looks bare and depressing without some sort of decorative features

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is
now finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being
the cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four,
trusting that I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other
two. A bit of an experiment on some low density stuff like this,
showed that no matter how sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to
get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and
the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the knowledge and bits
in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would you use ?

Arfa
Proper plaster coving you can easily cut with a saw?
well that was helpful

Yeah, there's always one ...

and your it :-)

That would be "you're" then ...

Grow up, sonny.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

It seems to me that none of the people who are making the negative comments,
have a daughter who has just moved into her first house, and is struggling
to make ends meet. The polystyrene stuff, whilst not being the one of choice
for most of us more discerning types, is cheap, easy to fix - especially in
a bathroom with tiles right up to the ceiling - and suited her just fine.
The hot wire cutter that I made did a near-perfect job of cutting it, such
that filling, other than by the paint which went on it afterwards, was not
required.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

How much did it cost? honest figure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
It seems to me that none of the people who are making the negative
comments, have a daughter who has just moved into her first house, and is
struggling to make ends meet. The polystyrene stuff, whilst not being the
one of choice for most of us more discerning types, is cheap, easy to
fix - especially in a bathroom with tiles right up to the ceiling - and
suited her just fine. The hot wire cutter that I made did a near-perfect
job of cutting it, such that filling, other than by the paint which went
on it afterwards, was not required.

Arfa

How much did it cost? honest figure.

Forget that its dearer than plaster type. :-)

http://tinyurl.com/463xny

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

30 or higher amperage Fuse wire? attached to an non conductive U shaped
former and a 12v battery possibly an alarm typed seald unit?
Attach both ends of the fuse wire to battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

:-) neat,why didn't I think of this.
http://club.cycom.co.uk/hotwire/Hot_...rene_foam.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:25:14 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?

Because the builders who ripped them out were numbskulls,

They were often removed because of decorating fashion.
Bucknellisation as it became known

take my CH heating
installers for instance...they were going to chase out the fancy victorian
coving in one corner by the gas cupboard not to mention the hall coving as
well, there would have been murder if they had done that and its a good job
I asked where the pipes were going to be positioned before the work
started..

A room looks bare and depressing without some sort of decorative features

I use pictures and change them frequently

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

what ever "face & bovered"

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
It seems to me that none of the people who are making the negative
comments, have a daughter who has just moved into her first house, and
is struggling to make ends meet.

Yehbut she's got a rich dad. That's what they're for.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Alang" wrote in message

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?

Because the builders who ripped them out were numbskulls,take my CH
heating installers for instance...they were going to chase out the fancy
victorian coving in one corner by the gas cupboard not to mention the hall
coving as well, there would have been murder if they had done that and its
a good job I asked where the pipes were going to be positioned before the
work started..

A room looks bare and depressing without some sort of decorative features

Pictures, calendars, photos, flying geese and plasma TVs are all far better
than coving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Alang" wrote in message

Id like to think coving was staying as a feature

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?

Because the builders who ripped them out were numbskulls,take my CH
heating installers for instance...they were going to chase out the fancy
victorian coving in one corner by the gas cupboard not to mention the
hall coving as well, there would have been murder if they had done that
and its a good job I asked where the pipes were going to be positioned
before the work started..

A room looks bare and depressing without some sort of decorative features

Pictures, calendars, photos, flying geese and plasma TVs are all far
better than coving.

Two words Dennis...

Features
Decor

Features = Give character to a home
Decor = shows the taste of the homes occupants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Alang" wrote in message

[...]

Features.. a bit of decor that isn't easy enough to replace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

It seems to me that none of the people who are making the negative
comments, have a daughter who has just moved into her first house,
and is struggling to make ends meet. The polystyrene stuff, whilst
not being the one of choice for most of us more discerning types, is
cheap, easy to fix - especially in a bathroom with tiles right up to
the ceiling - and suited her just fine. The hot wire cutter that I
made did a near-perfect job of cutting it, such that filling, other
than by the paint which went on it afterwards, was not required.

How much did it cost? honest figure.

When I last used it you could do a room for £20-30 with the paper-wrapped
poly stuff. Very cheap & tidy way of sorting out problems with the
wall-ceiling join line.

--
Criticising the government is not illegal, but on investigation often
turns out to be linked to other offences

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
When I last used it you could do a room for £20-30 with the
paper-wrapped poly stuff. Very cheap & tidy way of sorting out
problems with the wall-ceiling join line.

I must admit I've not seen that stuff in use. Polystyrene - to me -
always looks like what it is, due to the texture.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this from.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this from.

Arfa

Nudge,nudge...wink,wink. lol

Why the secrecy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:28:36 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this from.

Arfa

Nudge,nudge...wink,wink. lol

Why the secrecy?

Many years ago (when I was but a lad!) I made a hot-wire cutter for
polystrene by making a bit of plywood into roughly the shape of a
fretsaw, attaching a pair of screw terminals between which I stretched
a bit (ca. 5 or 6 inches) of resistance wire from an old electric fire
element. I powered the thing from a 4v winding of an old heater
transformer.
Don't get the wire too hot or the polystyrene will melt too much
around the wire.

--
Frank Erskine

polystyrene any use? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 18 January 25th 08 03:09 PM
disposal of polystyrene Broadback UK diy 122 June 8th 05 08:58 PM
Polystyrene tiles PeteZahut UK diy 11 June 3rd 05 10:43 AM
Polystyrene coving Mogweed UK diy 11 February 5th 05 01:35 PM
Polystyrene coving - stopping cracks from appearing at joints Jake UK diy 4 July 7th 03 12:29 AM