Broadback

Default disposal of polystyrene

As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:04:53 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

is there any way of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene?

Make napalm.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Broadback wrote:
As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

Drop it into a tup of thinners/white spirit/airfix glue etc.

You'll have much less to get rid of then.

:¬))

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Anderton

wrote:

is there any way of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene?

Make napalm.

I think you missed the word "safely" there ! :-)
s--p--o--n--i--x

wrote:

As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

Smash it up and flush it down the toilet..

BigWallop

wrote:

As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

Smash it up and flush it down the toilet..

But dip it in brown paint first, so that when it floats in the loo, it
doesn't look so bad.

Mary Fisher

"Broadback" wrote in message
As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

Take it out of the box and leave it in the shop.

Mary

AlexW

Broadback wrote:
As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

I am not advocating this, but...

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of some
waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for a few
months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it. He was
quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They did not seem to suffer any adverse effects BTW and were eventually
seen off by foxes about a year later.

Alex.
Mary Fisher

"AlexW" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of some
waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for a few
months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it. He was
quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They won't eat anything - but they WILL eat expanded polystyrene. It doesn't
seem to affect them at all, I reckon there must be something in it which is
attractive to them. I once saw one of ours with an enormous piece in her
beak, being chased by another and not being able to get through the gap she
wanted!

Mary

Mike Dodd

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of some
waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for a few
months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it. He was
quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They won't eat anything - but they WILL eat expanded polystyrene. It doesn't
seem to affect them at all, I reckon there must be something in it which is
attractive to them. I once saw one of ours with an enormous piece in her
beak, being chased by another and not being able to get through the gap she
wanted!

Mary

Hmmm, I think we've found the source of meat for KFC, well, at least
that chicken tastes of EPS.

Mike

Broadback

Mike Dodd wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"AlexW" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of
some waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for
a few months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it.
He was quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They won't eat anything - but they WILL eat expanded polystyrene. It
doesn't seem to affect them at all, I reckon there must be something
in it which is attractive to them. I once saw one of ours with an
enormous piece in her beak, being chased by another and not being able
to get through the gap she wanted!

Mary

Hmmm, I think we've found the source of meat for KFC, well, at least
that chicken tastes of EPS.

Mike

Thank you for all your answers, they were well worth reading for the
entertainment value. As there was no practical answer I assume there is
no practical solution.

Mike Dodd

Broadback wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"AlexW" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:

[...]

I think there was one sensible suggestion - to ask the council about
recycling it or any other approved methods of disposal.

Only ways I can think are noxious - burning or dissolving. Neither are
likely to be legal.

I can see this becoming a major ball-ache for a number of us, we've just
moved to 2-weekly pickups and the bins are overflowing at the end of the
2 weeks without large-volume items like polystyrene.

Mike.
Mike

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

I think there was one sensible suggestion - to ask the council about
recycling it or any other approved methods of disposal.

Only ways I can think are noxious - burning or dissolving. Neither are
likely to be legal.

Judging by the regulations on our local council web site, burning it on a
garden bonfire would appear to be legal even in smoke-free zones. But
totally agree it needs care if doing this.

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of some
waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for a few
months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it. He was
quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They won't eat anything - but they WILL eat expanded polystyrene. It
doesn't seem to affect them at all, I reckon there must be something in
it which is attractive to them. I once saw one of ours with an enormous
piece in her beak, being chased by another and not being able to get
through the gap she wanted!

Mary

Hmmm, I think we've found the source of meat for KFC, well, at least that
chicken tastes of EPS.

Serves you right for buying it - and supporting the horrible chicken rearing
conditions used by those who deny it ...

Mary

Mike

Mary Fisher

"Broadback" wrote in message

Thank you for all your answers, they were well worth reading for the
entertainment value. As there was no practical answer I assume there is
no practical solution.

Well, I break it up into small pieces - which generates static but I've
learned to cope with that. Then I use it for protection in packing the stuff
we send out - but not many people need it for that.

It certainly is a problem. If you do buy something from a store I do
recommend leaving it there - they MIGHT have ways of dealing with it, if
they don't they might get the message that there are better ways of packing.

But I must admit that it's very cleverly designed and very effective.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

I can see this becoming a major ball-ache for a number of us, we've just
moved to 2-weekly pickups and the bins are overflowing at the end of the 2
weeks without large-volume items like polystyrene.

We only have 4 weekly recyclable collections and our (the Fishers') bin is
rarely more than half full. But I'm very careful about recycling and
cardboard is put in the compost bins. We don't buy much either ...

I honestly think that this is the future, we really must begin to be
conscious about waste and its management - or preferably it's
non-generation. We're creating a dreadful problem for the future - our own
families' futures.

Mary

Mike Dodd

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

"AlexW" wrote in message
. ..

Broadback wrote:

[...]

Only in my impetuous youth, particulaly whilst staggering home as a
drunken late teens. Right now I have to admit that I find it quite
hideous in flavour and texture, to a level only matched my the good old
Maccy-D.

I think its a shame that KFC are not bigger than they are, then maybe
they'd attract a Spurlock rendition of their own food.

Mary Fisher

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

Hmmm, I think we've found the source of meat for KFC, well, at least that
chicken tastes of EPS.

Serves you right for buying it - and supporting the horrible chicken
rearing conditions used by those who deny it ...

Mary

Only in my impetuous youth, particulaly whilst staggering home as a
drunken late teens. Right now I have to admit that I find it quite hideous
in flavour and texture, to a level only matched my the good old Maccy-D.

Right now? So you DO know what it's like now :-) I don't, had it once in the
70s and that experience has stayed with me :-(

I think its a shame that KFC are not bigger than they are, then maybe
they'd attract a Spurlock rendition of their own food.

er - I'm sure you know what you're talking about ...

Mary

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

er - I'm sure you know what you're talking about ...

It was entertaining and scary in equal measu-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher wrote:

It certainly is a problem. If you do buy something from a store I do
recommend leaving it there - they MIGHT have ways of dealing with it, if
they don't they might get the message that there are better ways of packing.

But I must admit that it's very cleverly designed and very effective.

Mary

there really arent better packing options for bulky items, thats why
its used. Maybe you know of one...

NT

Rob

"AlexW" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
As councils are reducing refuse collections to 2 weekly is there any way
of safely reducing the bulk of polystyrene? These days if you buy an
electronic/electrical device the waste almost fills a wheely bin.

I am not advocating this, but...

With a large enough amount of chickens, eventually they will eat it all.

I had about 20 or so near my house and they "cleaned" the back of some
waste EPS insulated wall board which was in my front garden for a few
months. I mentioned this to the owner, when they started at it. He was
quite unperturbed and just said "oh they eat anything".

They did not seem to suffer any adverse effects BTW and were eventually
seen off by foxes about a year later.

Alex.

I'm glad to hear the foxes got them.

You wouldnt catch me eatin them there chickens!

Would look interesting to see the look on peoples faces if it were made a
feature at the local supermarket. A sort of candid camera stunt.

It would make a nice change from the usual organic free range or corn fed
chickens.

I'm sure someone would buy them!!!

8^)

Paul Boakes

Mike Dodd wrote:

I can see this becoming a major ball-ache for a number of us, we've just
moved to 2-weekly pickups and the bins are overflowing at the end of the
2 weeks without large-volume items like polystyrene.

Can you get a second bin from your Council? Round here, you can buy a
second bin for around £50 - lifetime guarantee (if its nicked, breaks,
eaten by the dustcart, etc).

Alternatively, can you dispose chunks into neighbours' bins? i live
next door to an elderly lady, and regularly drop a sack of rubbish into
her bin the night before the bin men call.

Regards
Paul

Paul Boakes wrote:

Can you get a second bin from your Council? Round here, you can buy a
second bin for around =A350 - lifetime guarantee (if its nicked, breaks,
eaten by the dustcart, etc).

Alternatively, can you dispose chunks into neighbours' bins? i live
next door to an elderly lady, and regularly drop a sack of rubbish into
her bin the night before the bin men call.

she probably totally hates you and you didnt even realise

NT

Owain

Dave Liquorice wrote:
she probably totally hates you and you didnt even realise

Even more so once the councils can work out a way of charging each
household directly by weight.

So save the polystyrene for your own bin to bulk it out and then ask
your neighbour if you can just but a couple of teeny bags of rubble in
her bin this week as yours is already overflowing.

Owain

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Paul Boakes wrote:

Alternatively, can you dispose chunks into neighbours' bins? i live
next door to an elderly lady, and regularly drop a sack of rubbish into
her bin the night before the bin men call.

she probably totally hates you and you didnt even realise

I'm glad he's not my neighbour.

Mary

NT

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

It certainly is a problem. If you do buy something from a store I do
recommend leaving it there - they MIGHT have ways of dealing with it, if
they don't they might get the message that there are better ways of
packing.

But I must admit that it's very cleverly designed and very effective.

Mary

there really arent better packing options for bulky items, thats why
its used. Maybe you know of one...

No, but it's not necessary to get the item home from the store.

Mary

NT

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.

there really arent better packing options for bulky items, thats why
its used. Maybe you know of one...

No, but it's not necessary to get the item home from the store.

no, its necessary to get it from factory to store.

Packaging is a tough nut to crack. Folk often clamour for less, but in
most cases that would only lead to more waste from damaged goods. Silly
packaging seems to be the exception these days, though certainly it was
more common once.

I think the airbags are a real move forward. Maybe we need to develop
expanded straw packing!

NT

Capitol

raden wrote:

Surely volume is much more important and easier to measure

Since when did common sense apply to political decisions?

Regards
Capitol