Ron P

Default Garbage disposal throws stuff out of other sink

I have a standard double sink in the kitchen. When I turn on the garbage
disposal, the drain on the other side has a small eruption of whatever is in
the disposal. The pipe underneath going from the disposal to the pipe
coming out of the drain for the second sink is straight across. Should it
angle down from the disposal side? This is a new house and I complained to
the builder on there 90 day punchlist and all they said was to not put so
much in the disposal. I could turn just the water on and water comes up
from the other sink.

Joseph Meehan

Ron P wrote:
I have a standard double sink in the kitchen. When I turn on the
garbage disposal, the drain on the other side has a small eruption of
whatever is in the disposal. The pipe underneath going from the
disposal to the pipe coming out of the drain for the second sink is
straight across. Should it angle down from the disposal side? This
is a new house and I complained to the builder on there 90 day
punchlist and all they said was to not put so much in the disposal.
I could turn just the water on and water comes up from the other sink.

It sounds like you have a clogged pipe downstream from the disposal.
Put it on the list. Keep complaining and document everything. Hopefully
they will get the idea and fix it. Let them know they will get the bill
after you have it repaired.

In reality it is likely to cost too little to take to court, but who
knows. I suspect you will end up paying for someone to find and fix a
problem the builder/contractor caused.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Travis Iversen

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Ron P wrote:

[...]

Another common problem is that the the wrong tee was used in the
continual waste piping under the sink. It should have a baffle in the
tee, directing the water downward. If this baffle is not there, you will
get the same thing. Also, there may not be enough fall on the line going
across to the tee, but Joseph is most likely right about a partial
stoppage, especially if this is a newer home.

Before you spend any money, try this trick to clear a
stoppage--fill the disposal side about halfway with water (use a plunger
to stop it up if you need to), hold the stopper down on the other side,
let the disposal side drain, turn on the disposal, and plunge the
disposal side (make sure you hold the stopper on the other side or you
will get wet). Turn the disposal off to crack the seal it will cause,
and you should be able to clear most stoppages under a sink. Be sure to
check all the nuts on the drain line first to make sure they are tight
or they could come apart and make an ugly mess

Good luck,
Travis

Ron P

Thanks. I talked to them about both the comments today. He sounded
skeptical but would have the plumbing contractor call and schedule a visit.
I told him that if I start the disposal first them shove the food down, it
is fine but if the food goes down first, the I get the squirt through the
other sink. It's not alot, but just enough to get on any clean dished
draining & drying.

"Travis Iversen" wrote in message
link.net...