NH

Default New Garbage Disposal Shot?

A week ago my friend and I installed a new In-Sink-Erator 444 garbage
disposal, along with a new dishwasher. Had no problems with either until
last night. While the dishwasher was running, both sides of the sink
started filling with water -- the kitchen drain had gotten clogged.

Here's the weird part: while the water sat backed-up in both sides of the
sink (took hours to drain), the garbage disposal was leaking from several
places on the BOTTOM of the disposal and had created a small lake under the
sink before we noticed it. It was dripping from the screws, from the reset
button...pretty much everywhere there was the smallest of openings.

The plumber came and fixed the clog in the drain today and now there's no
more leaking from the garbage disposal, whether we fill the sink with water,
run the dishwasher or run the disposal.

I have two questions:

Does it make sense that a clogged kitchen drain and a sink full of water
could create enough pressure to force water out of the bottom of the garbage
disposal?

And more importantly, even if it won't leak again, is it likely that the
water caused some internal damage to the disposal? Should I have it
replaced?

Thanks!

NH

David Babcock

"NH" wrote in message
[...]

Let me get this straight, you put a garbage disposal on your sink without
checking the condition of the drain? That is one of the first things that
comes to mind, and then you probably put all sorts of garbage down the
disposal to see how it works. Maybe it's not your problem, because I realize
the device is misnamed. It is NOT a garbage disposal, you are not supposed
to see how much trash you can stuff down it. It should have been named
"Small pieces that you didn't scrap off the plate grinder so it can wash it
down the drain".
Now about your questions. No both sinks filling with water shouldn't be
enough to make your disposal swallow water. But a blocked drain, and two
sinks backing up, and a dish washer pumping water out on a wash cycle
obviously is. If it doesn't leak anymore, and the motor runs when you flip
the switch, it's okay. Have it replaced if you want, but tell the salesman
how you stuffed all the old rotting food from your refrigerator in 2 minutes
down the drain first. Maybe then he'll replace it.

Dave

Rob Mills

The 444 has an unconditional 4 year warranty (I just went through this) and
they also have a lower seal problem. All you have to do is call the 1-800
insinkerator number and they will send a local appliance service out. He
will look at it and say "we can't fix it here but will bring out a new unit
and replace it free of charge". You don't have to do anything but stay out
of the service guy's way. All you need is a receipt showing when you
purchased it. RM~

"NH" wrote in message
[...]

NH

Let me get this straight, you put a garbage disposal on your sink without
checking the condition of the drain?

The drain was fine as far as we knew, and we were just replacing an older
disposal anyway.

That is one of the first things that
comes to mind, and then you probably put all sorts of garbage down the
disposal to see how it works.

Interesting assumption, but no.

Maybe it's not your problem, because I realize
the device is misnamed. It is NOT a garbage disposal, you are not supposed
to see how much trash you can stuff down it. It should have been named
"Small pieces that you didn't scrap off the plate grinder so it can wash

it
down the drain".

You mean I shouldn't have stuffed our old silverware down there?

Now about your questions. No both sinks filling with water shouldn't be
enough to make your disposal swallow water. But a blocked drain, and two
sinks backing up, and a dish washer pumping water out on a wash cycle
obviously is.

We turned the dishwasher off and the disposal kept leaking until all the
water had drained from the sink.

If it doesn't leak anymore, and the motor runs when you flip
the switch, it's okay. Have it replaced if you want, but tell the salesman
how you stuffed all the old rotting food from your refrigerator in 2

minutes
down the drain first. Maybe then he'll replace it.

Very humorous stuff, Dave. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but not
everyone with a leaky garbage disposal is a complete idiot.

NH

Dave

"David Babcock" wrote in message

"NH" wrote in message
[...]

Rob Mills

I'll try wording this differently this time. I was told by the service tech
that Insinkerator sent out that Insinkerator was having problems with the
seals in their 444 models. Mine (2 years old) was leaking out the bottom
just like yours and it was only noticeable when it was used a lot. If you
call Insinkerator and tell them that yours is leaking out the bottom they
will send a local appliance repair service out to verify and replace it free
including labor. All you need is a sales receipt showing that it is less
than 4 years old. RM~

Dan O.

NH wrote in message ...

Does it make sense that a clogged kitchen drain
and a sink full of water could create enough
pressure to force water out of the bottom of the
garbage disposal?

No.

And more importantly, even if it won't leak again,
is it likely that the water caused some internal
damage to the disposal?

If the leak was *through* the disposer, yes. A disposal in that
condition is referred to as a "wet unit" and in most cases will be
replaced by a factory service depot rather than repaired. Some cheaper
models may only offer 'over the counter' exchanges in which case *you*
have to remove and return it to the dealer.

If it was leaking from the drain connection and just dribbling down
the side of the disposal housing to the bottom where it was noticed,
no.

Should I have it replaced?

That is not up to you but whomever is warranting it, in your cases
namely In-Sink-Erator. The selling dealer *may* have a replacement
policy but it is rare for appliances. If you read the warranty it will
usually say "repair or replace... at our (ISE's) discretion".

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com