Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polystyrene Coving ,,,

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now
finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the
cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that
I would just be able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an
experiment on some low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how
sharp the cutting tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I
made a hot wire cutter to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if
you don't have the knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing
up, what else would you use ?

Arfa

I just put 14 linear metres up this weekend. Just cut it with a regular
handsaw, perfect mitre joints. I use a coving jig though as well.

I have used both plaster coving and paper backed polystyrene coving
(covemaster stuff) and once up the poly coving looks identical to plaster.
Plus, I did the whole room in 2.5 hours. Usually use coving adhesive but
this time I tried No-nails ultra. MUCH easier / quicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this from.

Arfa

Nudge,nudge...wink,wink. lol

Why the secrecy?

No particular reason, George. Just that some aspects of the thread had
generated some derision from certain corners, so I didn't see a lot of point
in opening myself up to a cartload more by describing how I made my sad
little cutter. If anyone else is actually interested, just say, and I will
happily copy the mail that I sent him, to the whole group ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:28:36 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
How did you make the hot wire saw - I've got some to cut as well...

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this
from.

Arfa

Nudge,nudge...wink,wink. lol

Why the secrecy?

Many years ago (when I was but a lad!) I made a hot-wire cutter for
polystrene by making a bit of plywood into roughly the shape of a
fretsaw, attaching a pair of screw terminals between which I stretched
a bit (ca. 5 or 6 inches) of resistance wire from an old electric fire
element. I powered the thing from a 4v winding of an old heater
transformer.
Don't get the wire too hot or the polystyrene will melt too much
around the wire.

--
Frank Erskine

Yep. Pretty similar. Just brought up to date a little with some more modern
materials.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slider" wrote in message ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

If it's paper covered stuff, then I guess that the hot wire cutter would not
be any good for that. Likewise on using coving adhesive normally, and
likewise this time in her bathroom, using No Nails. We put up about 10m of
the stuff, and under 2 hours on the whole job.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
When I last used it you could do a room for £20-30 with the
paper-wrapped poly stuff. Very cheap & tidy way of sorting out
problems with the wall-ceiling join line.

I must admit I've not seen that stuff in use. Polystyrene - to me -
always looks like what it is, due to the texture.

The paper coated stuff from Wickes (and no doubt others) is *excellent*. I've
been completely converted. It seems to be a denser foam than the cheap nasty
polystyrene stuff (I agree - hate the texture of it showing!) and being
paper wrapped it seems to resist bendning a bit as well making it more like
the plaster stuff.

Wickes certainly don't have much of a range though - just two sizes IIRC.

Cut with a breadknife, stick up with no nails (make sure it's the solvent
free variant ;-)). An easy one man job - unlike putting up lengths of plaster
coving IME.

It is a bit more expensive than the plaster stuff I think though.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Plenty of different coving here...the fancier it is the dearer it gets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Hamish Shufflebotham wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My
daughter bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully,
is now finished :-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces.
Being the cheapskate that she is, she only bought one packet of
four, trusting that I would just be able cut the corner angle on the
other two. A bit of an experiment on some low density stuff like
this, showed that no matter how sharp the cutting tool, it was very
hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter to do the
job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the knowledge
and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would
you use ?

Arfa
Proper plaster coving you can easily cut with a saw?
well that was helpful
Yeah, there's always one ...

and your it :-)

That would be "you're" then ...

Grow up, sonny.

Arfa

what ever "face & bovered"

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Sorry Kevin. My response was un-called for. You caught me at a bad moment on
a not-very-good day ...

:-(

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

Plenty of different coving here...the fancier it is the dearer it gets.

http://tinyurl.com/2fqm3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT [ Polystyrene Coving ,,,]

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Sorry Kevin. My response was un-called for. You caught me at a bad moment
on a not-very-good day ...

Then may I wish you the best for its improvement.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
Plenty of different coving here...the fancier it is the dearer it gets.

http://tinyurl.com/2fqm3

Yep. That's where I got mine. Good company to deal with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

I am too long in the tooth to let usnet (or what ever its called) to
wind me up :-) but we all have bad days mines next Monday (best friends
funeral)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry Kevin. My response was un-called for. You caught me at a bad moment
on a not-very-good day ...

:-(

Arfa

I am too long in the tooth to let usnet (or what ever its called) to wind
me up :-) but we all have bad days mines next Monday (best friends
funeral)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Sorry to hear that. Never good when you're getting old enough for people in
your life to start checking out on you ... My bad day was caused by being
tired having worked every day, and then had to go round to my daughter's
every night to work on her goddammed bathroom. She's like a rottweiller, and
just wouldn't let me have a night off. I can kind of understand it, because
it's the only bathroom she's got, so once the bath and bog were out, she was
a bit stuck ! Still, I too am getting too long in the tooth to be doing with
it, and I was just getting plain ratty. I guess you were just joking about
with your comments, but boy, just at that particular time, it really set
light to me. Worrying really that I was that near the edge. Still, two weeks
from now, I shall be a long long way from here, taking some sun, and it
can't come soon enough ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Sorry Kevin. My response was un-called for. You caught me at a bad moment
on a not-very-good day ...

Then may I wish you the best for its improvement.

--
PeterMcC

Thanks ! I'm better now ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

No problem we all type something we regret later after the send key has
being pressed, I do it quite often (along with typos, grammar
errors)best of luck with the bathroom ,and sorry if my sense of humour
is not yours :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 October 2008 16:38:34 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My daughter
bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now finished
:-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the cheapskate that
she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that I would just be
able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an experiment on some
low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how sharp the cutting
tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter
to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the
knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would
you use ?

Arfa

I found a serrated bread knife worked best. A mitre box is essential to keeping the cut straight as the serrations are normally bevelled to one side. I was using very fine dense grained polystyrene, not sure if the cheaper stuff will cut as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 17:12:01 UTC, wrote:
[...]

That question was asked in 2008. Get yourself a sane newsgroup client or portal. This is news:uk.d-i-y. Not a website.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 October 2008 17:22:41 UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Oct, 16:38, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ?

Just snap it by hand until it fits in the bin, then get some decent
plaster stuff.

PMSL!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 October 2008 16:38:34 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
What is the 'usual' way to cut low density polystyrene coving ? My daughter
bought some to finish off her bathroom (which mercifully, is now finished
:-) ) but she needed six internal angle pieces. Being the cheapskate that
she is, she only bought one packet of four, trusting that I would just be
able cut the corner angle on the other two. A bit of an experiment on some
low density stuff like this, showed that no matter how sharp the cutting
tool, it was very hard to get a nice cut finish. So I made a hot wire cutter
to do the job, and the finish was perfect, but if you don't have the
knowledge and bits in the junkbox to knock such a thing up, what else would
you use ?

Arfa

Electric knife. (Stolen/borrowed from the kitchen)
But nothing is as good as hot wire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was, but funnily enough, it was asked in another group not that long ago.
its not a sane reader we need but a sane portal on that particular system.
Any news portal should make it easy to screen out old posts.
One thing that I was going to ask though, what is the current fire status
of modern polystyrene tiles and coving. I seem to recall that its high melt
temperature made it spread any fire faster and the fumes were dangerous.
I still have a lot of this in my house which has just been cleaned and
painted every few years.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've got quite a bit of artificial 'ornate' Victorian style coving.
Unless you could actually prod it, you'd be hard pressed to tell it
from genuine plaster. Except that it's a relatively easy DIY job to
install. Not exactly cheap, though.

I'm surprised that this stuff has not been banned. Polystyrene tiles are
a no no as they drip on you in a fire, what's so different about the
same material at the edge of the ceiling?

I'm not sure what it's made from. Certainly not that lighweight
polystyrene cheap ceiling tiles are made from. The outer skin is as smooth
as plaster.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Mawson andrew@pleas
e_remove_me.mawson.org.uk escribió:

I'm surprised that this stuff has not been banned. Polystyrene tiles are a
no no as they drip on you in a fire, what's so different about the same
material at the edge of the ceiling?

it drips down the walls instead?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

polystyrene any use? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 18 January 25th 08 03:09 PM
disposal of polystyrene Broadback UK diy 122 June 8th 05 08:58 PM
Polystyrene tiles PeteZahut UK diy 11 June 3rd 05 10:43 AM
Polystyrene coving Mogweed UK diy 11 February 5th 05 01:35 PM
Polystyrene coving - stopping cracks from appearing at joints Jake UK diy 4 July 7th 03 12:29 AM