Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Polystyrene coving

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

With added olive/waste oil nowadays.

Yup, that's "olive oil" which is made by scraping up the waste which
would normally be used for compost or winter fuel from the floor of the
oil mill and treating it with steam and solvents to get out the residual
oil. The resulting substance referred to as "lamp oil" in Italy is then
de-odorised, partially hydrogenated and added with lecithin and water to
make a "spread". Mmmmmmmm enjoy.

Lovely stuff. Even taking that with a pinch of salt, it's quite amazing
what the food industry can get away with.

Errm, no need for the pinch of salt, that's how it's made.

Look up "pomace oil" and "lampante" for details. Extracted with steam
and hexane, considered unfit for human consumption by most authorities,
but it finds its way into food by the cunning trick of being designated
"fit for human consumption".

http://www.bulkoil.com/ListAdsGriglia.aspx?AdsOil=5