Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Polystyrene coving

Dave Starling
wibbled on Saturday 09 January 2010 12:32

On Jan 9, 12:24 pm, "Dave" wrote:
I bought one of these little rascals that help you to do mitres in the
stuffhttp://tinyurl.com/yzhmpor(link goes to Axminster tools) but what's
the best implement to actually cut polystyrene coving with? Wood saw?
Hacksaw? Bread knife? Something else?

Have you thought about the risk of polystyrene in the event of fire?
Breathing in fumes from that stuff would be fatal if you were trying
to get out the house in a hurry. IMO, it looks sh*te compared to
plasterboard based coving even when painted.

Dave.

The look depends on what product you use. I agree WRT the traaditional EPS
stuff.

I've used Gyproc Lite and it is impossible to tell it apart from normal
Gyproc (the profiles are identical).

I have two sections to my hall ceiling - one in 100mm PB Gyproc and the
other in 100mm Gyproc Lite. You really absolutely cannot see the difference.

I agree the fire risk remains, but I don't rate it any worse than curtains
and soft furnishings and being up high, I think by the time any fire gets up
there, you'll want to be out of there anyway.

The advantage of Gyproc Lite is it's rather easier to hump it around. 6x3m
pack of Gyproc weighs a ton and is a pain to mount on the car roof.

Interestingly, the Gyproc Lite was actually quite hard foam - I cut it with
the same saw I'd been using for PB Gyproc and it wasn't that soft. It cut
absolutely cleanly too.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...