Big Tim

Default CCTV Video Capture

I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as
well as installing an alarm system.

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

My research so far has been informative, apart from finding out about
the capture cards that I can get for my PC.

To date I've come to the conclusion that what I want/need (to start
with) is a 4-port PCI card. Of the few I can find any details of on
the web or in the newsgroups is the Trust 814. But in previous posts
(ages ago) it seems I'm limited to only one card in a PC. I can find
this for sale (@£60 at the moment) online.

Other cards that have been mentioned such as the PICO 2000 I don't
seem to be able to find and the other systems I can find are complete
systems, such as the geovision. I'm not looking for a software
element as I'll be building a Linux based PC.

So has anyone any suggestions as to a) a make of card that would be
useful, and b) where I can get these cards.

I've already ooked at Henrys.co.uk and rfcomponents.co.uk for cameras
and stuff.

Any suggestions?

(Cross posted on uk.d-i-y and uk.tech.electronic-security)

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
Christian McArdle

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

You could have bought USB based cameras. The camera sensor will be the same
CCD, but the signals are kept in a computer friendly fashion rather than
converted to an analogue signal that the computer requires expensive
hardware to understand.

Christian.

Chris Oates

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as
well as installing an alarm system.

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

www.cpc.co.uk
an example
http://tinyurl.com/rvoc

Big Tim

...But you're limited by cable length with USB, and they tend to be
"webcams" and not proper outdoor cameras...

Beat me to it Alan.

I've discounted USB cameras and usb capture cards for a number of
reasons, which include:

* Limited length for cable runs unless you include repeaters which
just ups the cost.
* USB tends to be webcams which wont stand up to being situated
outside.
* USB has greater limitations on the amount of data that can be
captured compared to a PCI card.
* I want to distribute the incoming signals around the house so I can
also "watch" the cameras on the nearest TV if I so choose. I can see
who's at the front door by switching channels doing this

What I didn't (forgot) to mention is that the PC that I intend to use
will be up in the loft where all the cat5 and coax will be
terminating. So I'm looking at a 30+ft run of cable for the front
door camera, regardles of system used.

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

You could have bought USB based cameras. The camera sensor will be the

same
CCD, but the signals are kept in a computer friendly fashion rather than
converted to an analogue signal that the computer requires expensive
hardware to understand.

Christian.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)

R W

Big Tim wrote:
[...]

You can get ethernet connected external cameras. You give the camera an
address with RARP and away you go.

There's one used here....

http://library.open.ac.uk/newbuilding/webcam.html

I J H

[...]

try http://www.tomshardware.com/ they did an article on setting up such a
system a while back.

BigWallop

[...]

A cheap router and some of these:

http://tinyurl.com/rxx6

or this, but watch out for the line wrap:

http://www.sonybiz.net/cgi-bin/bvisa...gcfnicfnedof.0

BigWallop

[...]

Or any of these:

http://www.cybertronix.co.uk/jvccams.htm

BigWallop

[...]

Or this:

http://www.y3kstore.com/content.php?categoryId=188

BigWallop

[...]

Or even these:

http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/Computer-CCTV.htm

Big Tim

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:52:50 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ooo, look at that. Thats some impressive looking kit. No prices on
site, but I'm guessing that it's way out of my budget. Not that I'm
sure what that is yet :-)

See further down there -vvv- for more info...

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:54:21 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

[...]

Like the Sony stuff, this looks pretty good but I think this solution
will cost more than is in the Kitty.

Keep going -vvv-

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:56:06 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

[...]

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is
offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution.
So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable
and stuff).

But I'm not sure what I want in the way of cameras yet, am thinking of
using a Linux PC and ZoneMinder's (free) software and so a complete
solution isn't the right solution for me. At the moment anyway.

What I'm trying to find out is where I can get the 3/4 camera PCI
cards from although they seem to be a very rare thing indeed, unless
you happen to be buying a complete solution of course.

I had it in my mind that I'd get a card and put in my PC, then get a
camera and play about connecting it up using either alarm cable or
cat5 cable so that I could supply the 12v down the wire and avoid the
need for a local power supply for the camera.

Once I had this sorted I'd then get the additional cameras. My camera
list is something along the lines of Front Door spyhole/external,
Lounge, Kitchen and one external covering the Drive and Caravan. The
BIG plan is to make the internal cameras part of the alarm system, so
if someone gets in the house then I've got pictures of them.

So, in my enthusiasm I thought it'd take an hour to find a PCI card,
then order a card based camera and I'd have a "Project" for the
weekend. It was while trying to find "lots of choice" that I found
that's there's very little choice out there.

What it looks like I'll be getting tomorrow is the Trust 814 PCI
interface (http://www.trust.com/home/ and follow the products
security camera systems links) for about £70 and a board camera from
somewhere. On one of the NGs I've read that only one board can be in
a PC so that is a limitation, but as I can't find an alternative and I
should manage to cover the house with 4 cameras...

Thanks for the responses.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:57:19 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

[...]

First thing I spotted was " Supports up to 4 cameras (colour OR black
& white, not both)" so that looks like a negative (sorry, I only
noticed what I'd typed after I'd typed it) as I'm not sure if the
outside camera will be B&W or colour. I'm still looking into what
"lux" and IR means :-). I think I want all the cameras to be colour,
but (and this may be a dumb question) can you see the IR "lights" when
they are activated? I had planned on trying to hide the outdoor
camera, but I suppose if it's high enough up then only the window
cleaner can have it away.

The Stingray 4 Port PCI thingy looks like the type of thing, but it's
£190 before you've got a camera. Have I mentioned I have (deep
pockets, short arms) a budget?

Still looking like the Trust 814.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)

Chris Oates

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message

I think I want all the cameras to be colour,

A good black & white system is preferable to a
budget colour one - good colour cameras + lens
= big outlay

but (and this may be a dumb question) can you see the IR "lights" when
they are activated?

no

The Stingray 4 Port PCI thingy looks like the type of thing, but it's
£190 before you've got a camera. Have I mentioned I have (deep
pockets, short arms) a budget?

We tried several 4 port cards & all seem to share the same
chipset - the difference was the drivers which is CRITICAL
to the PC running the card.

Still looking like the Trust 814.

Tried that - didn't work with supplied software but worked
with 3rd party software which didn't have motion detection.

This worked with windows XP
http://tinyurl.com/rylq

We don't use it for motion detection or recording
(VCR rack for that) but feed it from banks of multiplexers
for screen captures for the Police.

The multiplexers are fed from a huge variety of cameras
(all auto iris) auto infra red night vision, programable CCD
that can 'look' into areas of vastly different light level, remote
ones which are wireless linked - some are 240v & plug into
a mains socket & some are run via 300ft of multicore camera cable

Robin Davies

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as
well as installing an alarm system.

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

Take a look here www.cop-security.com It might give you a wireless idea

Sparks

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is
offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution.
So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable
and stuff).

How about this off eBay - They are always avalable!
http://tinyurl.com/rz0f

Here is some info if you can't be arsed to look at eBay

Excellent Quality DSR Card (4 Channels) for Home/Office surveillance and
security.
Each PCI card supports 4 BNC/RCA cameras, and can chain up to 4 cards per
PC, i.e. 16 Channels per DVR PC.

This robust DSR Card supports sophisticated functionalities including:
- 16 channel recording (using 4 cards together)
- remote monitoring through Internet / LAN
- time-stamped recording
- motion detection

Specifications:

DSR Card
full resolution video: PAL (768x576), NTSC(640x480)
generic PCI slot compatible available in all PCs
4 x BNC/RCA Video Input
1 x DB25 female connector for Alarm triggering
1 xDB15 female connector for Alarm triggering
Video Server Software

runs on MS Windows 98/2000/NT (XP and 2003 is not officially support, but
tested by our engineers, and it runs OK)
low hardware requirement: PIII 450Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 10GB HDD, Network
Card/Modem
full resolution video: PAL (768x576), NTSC(640x480)
configurable up to 16 camera (simple insert 4 DSR cards on the same PC)
16-channel digital multiplexing
real-time digital video compression
7x24 remote access service through TCP/IP(Internet) and/or modem dial-up
user access right control for different operations
video playback using Media Player
Pan/Tilt/Zoom Control
motion detection recording
alarm triggered recording
programmable timer recording
multilingual capability
Remote Monitor
runs on MS Windows 98/2000/XP/2003
extreme low hardware requirement: PII 233Mhz MMX, 64Mb RAM, 5GB HDD, Network
Card/Modem
password login and event log
remote online video viewing
local recording of video at remote machine
remote historical video playback (both local and server video records)
alarm alert function

Sparks...

BigWallop

wrote:

[...]

Lux is the light level that gives the camera a working image. One Lux is
very close to One Candle power. B&W Cameras work at much lower light
levels, so are more preferential for outdoor use. Colour Cameras are OK in
anything above 5 Lux, but B&W Cameras can give a decent image down to 1/2
(0.5) Lux. IR Lighting causes most images to glow rather white when closer
to the camera, so try not to point the IR directly at the point you want to
view, but keep it shining over the area of view. A human face, because of
the red blood vessels near the surface of the skin, are the worst culprits
of this effect.

If you are going on the route of using the PCI card with BNC connections,
then you'll be able to use any standard Closed Circuit Camera on the market.
All you'll need is either mains voltage or low voltage types. There are
cameras called line fed, which plug in to a separate power supply then back
to the PCI card and the cameras are fed down the single coaxial cable, so
these might be worth you looking at.

I could go on forever spouting about CCTv systems, because they are our
speciality at B.A.S.S, but every job is an individual and needs treated as
such. Please shop about for a while longer before making your final choice,
because, as sure as fate, you'll find something better after you've already
bought something.

Martin

[...]

The PIC cards seem to be sold through ebay on a regular basis.

Alan

I ordered the Trust 814 card yesterday as it sounded ideal for my needs
also.
Just had a call from the supplier (cyberselect.co.uk) to say they cannot
supply as they have withdrawn the card from sale due to problems with it
recording when there is no movement and filling up the hard drive.
Looks like I may have to pay the extra for a better card such as the
"Stealth Big Brother" - but it's about £100 more :-(

No point buying an unreliable system.

Alan.

[...]

Big Tim

BigWallop wrote:

Snipped Big Ideas by Big Tim for CCTV for home

[...]

Useful information. What I've read so far just gives technical
information, not anything to do with the "quirks" of day to day use.

Actually, this is making me think more about where I want the cameras
sited. The external camera was ti be on the back corner of the house,
looking down the drive. But as I sit here staring out the front
window into the sun I've just thought that in the winter the camera
could be blinded by the sun.

This could be, subconciously, why I'm wanting to take it a step at a
time by buying a card and a camera, then adding to the system later.

If you are going on the route of using the PCI card with BNC connections,
then you'll be able to use any standard Closed Circuit Camera on the market.
All you'll need is either mains voltage or low voltage types. There are
cameras called line fed, which plug in to a separate power supply then back
to the PCI card and the cameras are fed down the single coaxial cable, so
these might be worth you looking at.

Thats also handy to know. I now know I only need to be looking at low
voltage cameras and ones with coax connections. Again I can now browse
the Web-sites / catalogues from a position of bein better informed.
And to think I thought at one time the B&Q stuff was what I wanted...

I could go on forever spouting about CCTv systems, because they are our

Don't let me stop you, it's all been of help so far.

speciality at B.A.S.S, but every job is an individual and needs treated as
such. Please shop about for a while longer before making your final choice,
because, as sure as fate, you'll find something better after you've already
bought something.

Tell me about it. The last[1] PC I built is performing the role of a
jukebox server. With PC kit I read for a while, decide and buy and
then ignore the magazines and web-sites for months so I don't cry
because XX has been replaced by much better YY at 2/3's of the price

[1] of too many, way too many

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:22:50 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

I ordered the Trust 814 card yesterday as it sounded ideal for my needs
also.
Just had a call from the supplier (cyberselect.co.uk) to say they cannot
supply as they have withdrawn the card from sale due to problems with it
recording when there is no movement and filling up the hard drive.
Looks like I may have to pay the extra for a better card such as the
"Stealth Big Brother" - but it's about £100 more :-(

No point buying an unreliable system.

Alan.

Cyberselect were one of the 3 places I had on my list to try and order
the card from today. Looks like the Trust is off the list then.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

Chris Oates wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .

I think I want all the cameras to be colour,

A good black & white system is preferable to a
budget colour one - good colour cameras + lens
= big outlay

Which at this moment in time, isn't possible :-(

but (and this may be a dumb question) can you see the IR "lights" when
they are activated?

no

Noted

The Stingray 4 Port PCI thingy looks like the type of thing, but it's
£190 before you've got a camera. Have I mentioned I have (deep
pockets, short arms) a budget?

We tried several 4 port cards & all seem to share the same
chipset - the difference was the drivers which is CRITICAL
to the PC running the card.

Still looking like the Trust 814.

Tried that - didn't work with supplied software but worked

Which may be why cyberselect.co.uk wont let Alan have one (see post
down -vvv- there)

with 3rd party software which didn't have motion detection.

I'm looking at using Linux based software ZoneMinder as featured in
Novembers Linux Format. (But that could all go pear-shaped...)

This worked with windows XP
http://tinyurl.com/rylq

This is more like it. The other url you gave the other day pointed at
stuff that I thought too "fancy" for my needs/wants so I sort of gave
up on it.

The Grandtec stuff looks to be promising. I'll be off trying to find
their homepage to find out more about each of the cards.

We don't use it for motion detection or recording
(VCR rack for that) but feed it from banks of multiplexers
for screen captures for the Police.

The multiplexers are fed from a huge variety of cameras
(all auto iris) auto infra red night vision, programable CCD
that can 'look' into areas of vastly different light level, remote
ones which are wireless linked - some are 240v & plug into
a mains socket & some are run via 300ft of multicore camera cable

Thanks for the pointers.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

Sparks wrote:

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is
offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution.
So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable
and stuff).

How about this off eBay - They are always avalable!
http://tinyurl.com/rz0f

Here is some info if you can't be arsed to look at eBay

snipped card specs

Sparks...

Looks like the thing I want/need and I couldn't find it earlier this
week. Not used to ebay I'm afraid. I'll keep my eye on it to see
what it finally goes for. Thought the £20 postage is going to bump
the final price up somewhat.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)

Big Tim

Robin Davies wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .
I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as
well as installing an alarm system.

What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

Take a look here www.cop-security.com It might give you a wireless idea

"Payment
We accept VISA, MASTERCARD, L/C or advance Electronic transfer
Minimum shipment value US$5000 "

EEEK!!!

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Chris Oates

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message

Actually, this is making me think more about where I want the cameras
sited. The external camera was ti be on the back corner of the house,
looking down the drive. But as I sit here staring out the front
window into the sun I've just thought that in the winter the camera
could be blinded by the sun.

you could use one of these at the other
end of the drive
http://www.cctvstuff.co.uk/

BigWallop

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

snipped

[1] of too many, way too many

--
Big Tim

These are the people we use most for our systems BT, as they've been doing
this stuff since computers were invented, so have a read through their site
and maybe pick up a few pointers. (been trying to fond this link since
reading your first post (grin))
http://www.cctv-information.co.uk/pccctv.products.html

BigWallop

BigWallop wrote:

[...]

http://www.lbp.police.uk/prevention/commsafety/cctv.htm

SantaUK

Check out www.henrys.co.uk CCTV section for equipment.

--
Regards

SantaUK
Mail me at:
arjf (ng) zzvyyne (qbg) pb (qbg) hx === ROT13
Use http://andrewu.co.uk/tools/rot13/ to convert to readable format

Tydraig

I have been using the trust card for the last 12 months with two cameras
covering the front and rear of my property. I have had no problems at all
with this setup, and I even manage it across the internet from work using
Remote admin and an Adsl connection.

I bought a cheap second hand PII 400 pc for £40 and put the trust card in
that with two 10gig hard drives and put it on my home network without a
monitor, keyboard, or mouse and away you go.

It's worked without fault for the last twelve months, the hard drives last
on average two weeks before I have to clean them up.

In all its a very good option.

Big Tim

Sparks wrote:

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is
offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution.
So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable
and stuff).

How about this off eBay - They are always avalable!
http://tinyurl.com/rz0f

I've just remembered about this and checked it and it's gone for £21.
So with P&P that's £41.

I've also sussed out that the seller has a number of auctions on the
go at once, so there's a PCI card each day so I could have a go at
getting one. But I *want* something this week and so I don't think I
have the patience to keep bidding till I get one and then wait till it
arrives from Hong Kong.

Thanks for the pointer though.

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Big Tim

Tydraig wrote:

I have been using the trust card for the last 12 months with two cameras
covering the front and rear of my property. I have had no problems at all
with this setup, and I even manage it across the internet from work using
Remote admin and an Adsl connection.

I bought a cheap second hand PII 400 pc for £40 and put the trust card in
that with two 10gig hard drives and put it on my home network without a
monitor, keyboard, or mouse and away you go.

It's worked without fault for the last twelve months, the hard drives last
on average two weeks before I have to clean them up.

In all its a very good option.

That's what I thought too. I'm particulary interested that you're
running it on a 400mhz PC as I'm contemplating using one of my
"retired" PCs as the processer.

I've oodles of disk space, or rather disks hanging about so space
shouldn't be a problem. But, are you using recording everything or
just when something triggers the cameras?

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Currently having "More Time than Tasks"
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
Tydraig

The set up is as follows

Compaq PII 400mhz 394meg ram running Windows 2000, 6 gig hard drive for the
operating system. the two 10gig hard drives for each camera and a network
card.

I have an infrared illuminator to the rear of the property and a standard
pir coach lantern at the front which give illumination during darkness.

The software is the standard trust software that came with the card, it time
and dates stamps the video that it captures. I have it set up to capture
only when there is movment detected in the feild of view of the cameras. you
can mask out area's of each image and set up individual trigger levels for
each channel.

you can set it up to record continusly if required

Regards
Tydraig

Tydraig wrote:

[...]

Big Tim

Tydraig wrote:

The set up is as follows

Compaq PII 400mhz 394meg ram running Windows 2000, 6 gig hard drive for the
operating system. the two 10gig hard drives for each camera and a network
card.

I have an infrared illuminator to the rear of the property and a standard
pir coach lantern at the front which give illumination during darkness.

The software is the standard trust software that came with the card, it time
and dates stamps the video that it captures. I have it set up to capture
only when there is movment detected in the feild of view of the cameras. you
can mask out area's of each image and set up individual trigger levels for
each channel.

you can set it up to record continusly if required

Regards
Tydraig

Well I can certainly put together that hardware setup with what I have
at home.

The Coach Lantern seems like a good idea for illumination and maybe a
front door camera. I noticed last night that the light I have at the
front to light my way home is behind me when I get to the door and so
I'm casting a shadow on the front door. So if I had a peephole camera
in the door, I wouldn't be able to see a face because of the
backlighting.

Time to do some more research I think.

Again, thanks for the info.

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Currently having "More Time than Tasks"
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)

BigWallop

Tydraig wrote:

[...]

Starting to talk about backlight compensation now. Boy, your learning fast
BT. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Big Tim

BigWallop wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .
Tydraig wrote:

snip PC setups

The Coach Lantern seems like a good idea for illumination and maybe a
front door camera. I noticed last night that the light I have at the
front to light my way home is behind me when I get to the door and so
I'm casting a shadow on the front door. So if I had a peephole camera
in the door, I wouldn't be able to see a face because of the
backlighting.

Time to do some more research I think.

Again, thanks for the info.

Big Tim

Starting to talk about backlight compensation now. Boy, your learning fast
BT. :-))

LOL

I'm pretty smart, honest :-)

I looked at the stuff in B&Q *ages* ago because I fancied CCTV because
I'm a bit of a sucker for gadgets. At the time I justified my
interest because I wanted to protect the bikes in the garage.
However, I didn't like the "packaged" solution that the sheds do and
so put that Project aside.

I got burgled a while ago, so I decided that the Alarm project and
CCTV project needed to be resurected. I did quite a lot of research
into the alarms and sensors and stuff. You have to put yourself into
the position of trying to break into your own home and it can be quite
surprising what you find. But somehow the CCTV project got shelved
again.

I'm now "resting" and want to finish off the TV Project. As I'd
thought about piping the CCTV through all the TVs when I'd sorted the
signal distribution it was time to resurect the CCTV project again.

So when I started this thread I knew I was going to implementing a PC
based solution (I've about 5 or 6 knocking about), which is why I
wanted sources of cards because they seem so hard to find. Although I
Googled I'm finding that it doesn't find stuff on the big sites that
have a "catalogue". So, maybe Maplins have what I want, but googleing
doesn't work.

Anyway, because of what's been suggested and what I read I'm now
paying much more attention to where I'd site the cameras, what light
levels would be available for each site, etc. Like you've already
said about IR, if the picture's rubbish then you'll not catch anyone.

My Plan at the moment is to have to front door / front approach
covered by one camera. So that anyone coming to the house will be
seen. That could be a lantern thing which will also provide "fill in"
light. Camera 2 will be at the side of the house looking down the
drive to the street to see anyone coming round the back of the house
from the road. This will face south and so I have a problem with a
low sun from now until March. Although I could have it up high and
covering an birds eye view of the drive/side of the house. One in the
garage. One in the kitchen, so that if someone gets in the back door
it's mugshot time. Also one behind the front door for the same
reason.

I haven't got a solution to the illumination for in the house yet.
During the day (when I got turned over) there is enough light, but
obviously at night it's dark :-). I'm mulling over the idea of having
"emergency" lighting that comes on with the Alarm PIRs or something.
That is something like some picture lights or other subdued/mood
lighting that come on, but there's no obvious switch to them.

I also want to be able to wire the landing light so that it comes on
when I walk along the landing to the bathroom in the middle of the
night, but that's another Project.

A problem I have is that I have no connections to the Electrical trade
and so am using the Web and Newsgroups to research and then to try and
locate the kit. It takes time.

What I thought I'd do is to document the "fun" I have and either post
it to the group and stick it on a website and post a link. Obvious
security issues censored of course.

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)
Currently having "More Time than Tasks"
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)

Wiring a CAT5e home network Tenex UK diy 47 October 7th 03 07:14 AM
HELP tuning video belmont5 UK diy 8 September 28th 03 06:56 PM
CCTV CAMERAS tony sayer UK diy 1 August 7th 03 09:42 AM
CCTV tony sayer UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 12:25 PM