Big Tim

Default CCTV Video Capture

BigWallop wrote:

Snipped Big Ideas by Big Tim for CCTV for home

Or even these:

http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/Computer-CCTV.htm

First thing I spotted was " Supports up to 4 cameras (colour OR black
& white, not both)" so that looks like a negative (sorry, I only
noticed what I'd typed after I'd typed it) as I'm not sure if the
outside camera will be B&W or colour. I'm still looking into what
"lux" and IR means :-). I think I want all the cameras to be colour,
but (and this may be a dumb question) can you see the IR "lights" when
they are activated? I had planned on trying to hide the outdoor
camera, but I suppose if it's high enough up then only the window
cleaner can have it away.

The Stingray 4 Port PCI thingy looks like the type of thing, but it's
£190 before you've got a camera. Have I mentioned I have (deep
pockets, short arms) a budget?

Still looking like the Trust 814.

--
Big Tim

Lux is the light level that gives the camera a working image. One Lux is
very close to One Candle power. B&W Cameras work at much lower light
levels, so are more preferential for outdoor use. Colour Cameras are OK in
anything above 5 Lux, but B&W Cameras can give a decent image down to 1/2
(0.5) Lux. IR Lighting causes most images to glow rather white when closer
to the camera, so try not to point the IR directly at the point you want to
view, but keep it shining over the area of view. A human face, because of
the red blood vessels near the surface of the skin, are the worst culprits
of this effect.

Useful information. What I've read so far just gives technical
information, not anything to do with the "quirks" of day to day use.

Actually, this is making me think more about where I want the cameras
sited. The external camera was ti be on the back corner of the house,
looking down the drive. But as I sit here staring out the front
window into the sun I've just thought that in the winter the camera
could be blinded by the sun.

This could be, subconciously, why I'm wanting to take it a step at a
time by buying a card and a camera, then adding to the system later.

If you are going on the route of using the PCI card with BNC connections,
then you'll be able to use any standard Closed Circuit Camera on the market.
All you'll need is either mains voltage or low voltage types. There are
cameras called line fed, which plug in to a separate power supply then back
to the PCI card and the cameras are fed down the single coaxial cable, so
these might be worth you looking at.

Thats also handy to know. I now know I only need to be looking at low
voltage cameras and ones with coax connections. Again I can now browse
the Web-sites / catalogues from a position of bein better informed.
And to think I thought at one time the B&Q stuff was what I wanted...

I could go on forever spouting about CCTv systems, because they are our

Don't let me stop you, it's all been of help so far.

speciality at B.A.S.S, but every job is an individual and needs treated as
such. Please shop about for a while longer before making your final choice,
because, as sure as fate, you'll find something better after you've already
bought something.

Tell me about it. The last[1] PC I built is performing the role of a
jukebox server. With PC kit I read for a while, decide and buy and
then ignore the magazines and web-sites for months so I don't cry
because XX has been replaced by much better YY at 2/3's of the price

[1] of too many, way too many

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)