Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick alternative to scaffold?

Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as
I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's
house!)

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

It wasn't all that clear how it was erected, I am assuming you peg up
the platform at ground level and then slide the whole lot up? What
with though?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:57:32 -0700, Mathew Newton wrote:

Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

Yikes. Looks like it focuses a lot of the weight onto two points pressing
against the side wall of the house... it's not so bad for a regular
ladder and one person, but that looks like a lot more material and a
two-person cradle...

It wasn't all that clear how it was erected

Lots of well-built mates and a good run-up? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as
I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's
house!)

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

I've seen them used by the company that maintains H.Assoc houses in my
area.

Not cheap and you have to proide your own sturdy ladders.
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ldrscaf.htm

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as
I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's
house!)

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

It wasn't all that clear how it was erected, I am assuming you peg up
the platform at ground level and then slide the whole lot up? What
with though?

Doesn't look like an alternative to a tower to me.
If you erected a scafolding tower you would find yourself looking at the
roof from a fair distance due to the extended bay on the ground floor.
An alternative to a full scaffolding install, perhaps.
Doesn't look quick or cheap ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 6:57*pm, Mathew Newton wrote:
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as
I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's
house!)

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

It wasn't all that clear how it was erected, I am assuming you peg up
the platform at ground level and then slide the whole lot up? What
with though?

Mathew

The trouble with support on 2 legs is that if one joint or leg fails,
the lot crashes down. With a 4 legged structure it won't do well on 3
legs, but it should stay up long enough to get down (the non-fast
way).

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

(Forgive the quality, it was a quick walk-by capture with my phone as
I didn't want to arouse suspicion by taking pictures of somebody's
house!)

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

It wasn't all that clear how it was erected, I am assuming you peg up
the platform at ground level and then slide the whole lot up? What
with though?

Mathew

That is just a modern day version of "ladder brackets"
see;http://preview.tinyurl.com/yguqmn2 and scroll down.

As a matter of interest, the original ladder bracket carried just a couple
of scaffold planks with no safety rail - and were in common use until the
health and safety brigade became concerned about the number of accidents
when using things. Hence the modern equivalent, complete with a deck and
guards.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 7:27 pm, "mark" wrote:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ldrscaf.htm

My word. I tell you something - you'd never get me on one of those
things! That said, when I go up a ladder I barely have any hands free
to do any work what with me wanting to hold on so much!

I can't help feel there's some subliminal connection in their
URL... ;-)

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

the people that used them with just a scaffold*board and two ordinary ladders
i.e me.
called them suicide brackets.

\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

I would NOT use that, it would not pass any form of Health & Safety
inspection
in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

This sort of thing seems to be popular with the replacement
fascia chaps. However, in my area, I have yet to see anybody
bothering to fit the safety rails!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
Hi all,

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

I would NOT use that, it would not pass any form of Health & Safety
inspection
in the UK.

Roger,

I personally wouldn't use such a scaffold [1], but it will comply with H&S
Regulations - as long as it is erected in accordance to instructions/best
practice procedures, on level ground (or properly supported on falling
ground) and is tied either at the top or bottom (or both) to prevent
slippage, all guards and braces in place and is only loaded to its maximum
*SAFE* weight.

Generally, this sort of thing is only used for access to fascias and
soffits, and would only be carrying the weight of two men, some tools and
the odd length of timber or gutter at the most.

[1] Remember though that if this job is done by a contracting firm, it
will actually be unlawful under the H&S Regulations to simply use ladders to
work most jobs at that height - so this is a cheaper method than erecting a
full scaffold to say, clean out gutters, replace the odd tile or two,
painting fascia and soffits etc.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mathew Newton
saying something like:

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

Looks as dodgy as a lorry full of spivs.
Nothing tying it to the building, either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 11:02*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:
I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

Are these commonplace? I thought it seemed like a quick alternative to
scaffolding towers. That said, it didn't look like the sturdiest of
things and indeed I was expecting to find something substantial at the
bottom but it was just similar to the top but without the platform!

This sort of thing seems to be popular with the replacement
fascia chaps.

Bingo!

Having seen two in use, looked perfectly safe to me. Safety lies in
the hands of the user IMHO.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:44:01 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton wrote:

On Oct 19, 7:27 pm, "mark" wrote:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ldrscaf.htm

My word. I tell you something - you'd never get me on one of those
things! That said, when I go up a ladder I barely have any hands free
to do any work what with me wanting to hold on so much!

I can't help feel there's some subliminal connection in their
URL... ;-)

Mathew

The roofer that did my GF's house had the ladders at about 45 deg. (lean-to
consevatory in the way) and were going up fast, with tiles, either 1- or
no-handed!
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Mathew Newton
saying something like:

I wandered past this today:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/scaffold.jpg

Looks as dodgy as a lorry full of spivs.
Nothing tying it to the building, either.

Saw it being used by Anglian Windows to do guttering the other day. I
imagine they comply with all the regs

Junior Member

Hi All,
The equipment in the origonal photo is one of our 'Easi-Dec roofline systems' . It is dcesigned to provide roof access or wall access against two story domestic buildings.
It was designed over 20 years ago for the use of Facia, gutter and soffit repair/maintenance. In that time we have never had one of our systems fail/fall down. We do have contracts with several housing associations and window companies ( i believe one of them was mentioned earlier in the thread )
However, words are cheap, we offer open days at any of our four locations around the country so please feel free to contact us and arrange a demonstration of the system. If you hire scaffolding regularly then our system WILL save you money. If you have any further questions about the system please visit our website - Home •*Easi Dec and call us with any questions at all !
Cheers !
Brett
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mathew Newton, Clamboy wrote:
It's called a shore scaffold. Not OSHA approved in the least bit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ld-590582-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 01:44:08 UTC+1, Clamboy wrote:
replying to Mathew Newton, Clamboy wrote:
It's called a shore scaffold. Not OSHA approved in the least bit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ld-590582-.htm

For fuller context, buy a TARDIS and go back 10 years.

Anyone own ALUMINUM scaffold? [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 8th 09 02:36 PM
Scaffold Top Hat Alternative [email protected] UK diy 3 January 11th 08 01:39 PM
scaffold towers best ones gort UK diy 4 August 6th 06 01:36 PM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 10:00 PM
Scaffold tubes Simon UK diy 7 July 8th 03 10:57 PM