Simon

Default Scaffold tubes

I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code for Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and describe them for me?

Brian Reay

"Simon" wrote in message
I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code for

Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and describe
them for me?

Not that I've noticed. I've bought steel and aluminium ones new in the past
and both have been plain 'silver'- the give away is when you try to lift
them (not to mention the price- as I recall a aluminium one is £40 and a
steel one £20).

--
73
Brian

and

www.qsl.net/g8osn for FREE training material for the UK Foundation and
Intermediate Licences

tim

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code for

Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and describe
them for me?

Not that I've noticed. I've bought steel and aluminium ones new in the past
and both have been plain 'silver'- the give away is when you try to lift
them (not to mention the price- as I recall a aluminium one is £40 and a
steel one £20).

How much does the hernia op cost if you buy the cheap ones :-)

Tim

--
73
Brian
G8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk

and

www.qsl.net/g8osn for FREE training material for the UK Foundation and
Intermediate Licences

Simon

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code for

Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and describe
them for me?

Not that I've noticed. I've bought steel and aluminium ones new in the

past
and both have been plain 'silver'- the give away is when you try to lift
them (not to mention the price- as I recall a aluminium one is £40 and a
steel one £20).

--
73
Brian

I thought they came with painted ends? ... something like red for steel and
yellow for Aluminium?

Essjay001

Simon wrote:
I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code
for Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and
describe them for me?

Other than colouring poles for company identification you will find that a colour code is used for the identifcation of the material from which the pole is made. Certain grades of aluminium are coded yellow/blue. This applies to all metals. In much the same way various gas bottles are coded, grey for nitrogen, black for carbon dioxide etc there is a chart which lays down the coding system. Try as I might I cant find it through google.

BigWallop

"Simon" wrote in message

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Simon wrote:
I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code
for Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and
describe them for me?

Other than colouring poles for company identification you will find that a
colour code is used for the identifcation of the material from which the
pole is made. Certain grades of aluminium are coded yellow/blue. This
applies to all metals. In much the same way various gas bottles are coded,
grey for nitrogen, black for carbon dioxide etc there is a chart which

lays
down the coding system. Try as I might I cant find it through google.

yep ..... tried a search too ...... I am pretty sure it is red for steel

but i have to make a lightweight prop of a scaffold pole ... and being a
perfectionist ...... i don't want to just spray it with metal colour and
sprinkle cocoa on it if it should have colour coding too.

I think you'll find that scaffolding equipment is stamped or etched and not
colour coded, unless in company colours, with a roll number for steel and an
extrusion number for aluminium.

The stamping codes are set for tensile and flex qualities for that
particular material, and is set by the construction industry standards. A
piece of scaffolding equipment in use everyday would not be able to keep any
painted coding for long and this is why it has its quality stamped into it
while still at the manufacture stage.

The only time colour coding is used is in the selection of bits by
individual companies more than likely using their own colour schemes.

Hope this helps a bit.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

The Natural Philosopher

tim wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message

I am pretty sure I remember scaffold tubes come with a colour code for

Aluminium and steel poles, can anyone tell me what they are and describe
them for me?

Not that I've noticed. I've bought steel and aluminium ones new in the past
and both have been plain 'silver'- the give away is when you try to lift
them (not to mention the price- as I recall a aluminium one is £40 and a
steel one £20).

How much does the hernia op cost if you buy the cheap ones :-)

Free, but you have to wait for a year to get it...recovering from mine
right now :-(

Tim

--
73
Brian
G8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk

and

www.qsl.net/g8osn for FREE training material for the UK Foundation and
Intermediate Licences

Martin Angove

In message ,
Ed Sirett wrote:

I'm almost certain that the colour coding is simply different companies
marking ownership of the poles(and boards). Much like sheep farmers do
with their livestock.

Completely unhelpful I know, but we used to have what we called a "zip
up" scaffold at a place I used to work. It sort of clipped together and
was rather good if you got the bracing right. There were two lengths of
pole, and each was identified by a colour on the end clip - blue for the
short ones and red for the long ones IIRC. In case you're confused; the
blue ones were the "horizontals" and the red ones the "diagonals".

:-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html