Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default scaffold towers best ones

I know this has been discussed before, but which do people feel are better
steel or ali?. Any other things to note? any good websites on safety and
use of towers?

Cheers

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gort" wrote in message
news

I know this has been discussed before, but which do people feel are better
steel or ali?. Any other things to note? any good websites on safety and
use of towers?

Cheers

Dave

Alloy, They don't rock, are light weight, easier to handle and come with
adjustable wheel and legs, brakes on the wheels and it all has safety
locking system. Down fall, very expensive to buy out right, You can hirer
them if you only use odd times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gort" wrote in message
news

I know this has been discussed before, but which do people feel are better
steel or ali?. Any other things to note? any good websites on safety and
use of towers?

Cheers

Dave

I recently hired a "Boss" aluminium tower for a day. It was one of the
narrow 85cm wide ones, but it was surprisingly stable even though there
wasn't enough room to fit all the stabilising arms. The sections were light
enough that I was able to build it up to 5 metres single-handed. Some of the
aluminium components were slightly damaged, particularly the large height
adjusting nuts, but I don't know how long it had been on hire.

It seemed ideal for DIY use, but I'd want to look at durability and
steel/aluminium issues more closely if I was using it every day.

If you go to the HSS Hire website, you can download various PDF files for
the towers they hire out, containing specifications, component lists,
instructions and safety guides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Def the SGB Boss ally towers (unless you're made of money, in which
case there's the GRP ones). BTW don't take the SGB list prices too
seriously, a lot of negotiation is possible. Also several suppliers of
new SGB stuff on ebay - negotiate. Other than professional scaffolding
systems, all the steel towers I've seen have been dire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Simon" writes:
I recently hired a "Boss" aluminium tower for a day. It was one of the
narrow 85cm wide ones, but it was surprisingly stable even though there
wasn't enough room to fit all the stabilising arms. The sections were light

If you are thinking of hiring, do check local price for getting
scaffolding erected instead. I found it was cheaper, and that
included keeping it for 4 weeks (and peanuts if I wanted it for
longer), full coverage as opposed to moving a tower around,
more stable, pulley and rope for bringing materials up/down, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Best 4" aluminum scaffold for home use? [email protected] Home Repair 9 June 26th 06 12:30 AM
Scaffold tower platform Chris UK diy 9 April 8th 06 06:31 AM
scaffold building device - what is this [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 29th 05 05:14 PM
Scaffold Planks John UK diy 8 March 12th 05 04:28 PM
Scaffold tubes Simon UK diy 7 July 8th 03 10:57 PM