Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default petrol in diesel tank

Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

parts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

been there, done that, ignored it.
the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long as its
unleaded.

parts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

been there, done that, ignored it.
the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long as its
unleaded.

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank
right up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will
be on the top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

been there, done that, ignored it.
the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long
as its unleaded.

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in a
car with a petrol engine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in
a car with a petrol engine.

No, it won't. Apart from most diesels not having "cats", those that do
work on a completely different principle that isn't susceptible to lead
poisoning.

Far more likely is damage to the pump on a common rail diesel from lack
of lubrication.

B'sides, if you find the handful of suppliers of leaded these days,
you're going to have such a serious double-take at the price that you
won't make the error...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank
right up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will
be on the top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please
been there, done that, ignored it.
the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long
as its unleaded.

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in a
car with a petrol engine.

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd bus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank
right up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will
be on the top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please
been there, done that, ignored it.
the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long
as its unleaded.

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in a
car with a petrol engine.

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

Peugeot range of diesels have cats although there have been cases mentioned
on alt.autos.peugeot where they have been removed and the car remained legal
and happily passed MOTs. I believe most other makes have them as well.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:38:34 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

Peugeot range of diesels have cats although there have been cases mentioned
on alt.autos.peugeot where they have been removed and the car remained legal
and happily passed MOTs. I believe most other makes have them as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

My Corsa has one along with dire warnings in the handbook about
ignoring the warning light more than twice. I have to maintain 2000rpm
for twenty minutes to burn off the "particulates".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I don't believe you. Unless you're actually blind, you've seen loads.
Whether you knew they had them is a different matter...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

Peugeot range of diesels have cats although there have been cases mentioned
on alt.autos.peugeot where they have been removed and the car remained legal
and happily passed MOTs. I believe most other makes have them as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

My Corsa has one along with dire warnings in the handbook about
ignoring the warning light more than twice. I have to maintain 2000rpm
for twenty minutes to burn off the "particulates".

A particulate filter is not a catalytic converter.

And they are not mandatory, and are not fitted universally.

I wish they were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that you fit
one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo after a
full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

Adding petrol to diesel used to be pretty common in the winter to help it
flow. So it mixes well.

Such a small amount is unlikely to do any harm even to the most
sophisticated of modern diesels.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that you fit
one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo after a
full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

I think you forgot to post a link!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that you
fit one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo after a
full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

I think you forgot to post a link!

Well spotted!

Try

http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would
in a car with a petrol engine.

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the
odd bus.

I must have been ripped off then. It cost me over £600 to replace the
catalytic converter on my 1999 Volvo V70 2.5D when it failed!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

At little more than 2%, not likely to be an issue.

Much more of an issue is which diesel.
Some common rail turbo diesels have issue of injector sealing; exhaust
gases get past the injectors, oil carbon loading increases (already at
stratospheric levels), oil pickup can clog, starving turbo & big end
bearings. First you know is either rod knock, runaway turbo or very
rough running with a replacement engine required.
Others are limited to "the turbo can go out".

CR turbo diesel can give £700-1200 bill unexpectedly, and in the
(admittedly) rare instance £6000+. The recession may well push many
people to own for longer not knowing that instead of saving money they
might be running into the "guinea pig" end of ownership as
manufacturers are still "market testing" engineering with you carrying
the risk unwittingly.

Go to www.honestjohn.co.uk, technical section, then go through to your
particular marque & model.

Well worth knowing how thick (re bill) the tail end of the
distribution is with *any* car re age/design faults and bills. Just
remember "They All Do That" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I bet you see several a day but don't know.
All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that you
fit one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo after
a full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

I think you forgot to post a link!

Well spotted!

Try

http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/

have you noticed how Paul's audi turns into a bmw halfway through their
story?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks gents.

Im going to live with it and top up before im half empty.

parts

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:59:38 +0100,

wrote:

Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

parts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I bet you see several a day but don't know.
All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.

I bet they are actually particulate filters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I bet you see several a day but don't know.
All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.

I bet they are actually particulate filters.

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/va...-converter.php

Pay up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that
you fit one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo
after a full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

I think you forgot to post a link!

Well spotted!

Try

http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/

have you noticed how Paul's audi turns into a bmw halfway through their
story?

Wow - just goes to show how serious the effects can be of putting in the
wrong fuel, eh?

Wish I'd known about these gadgets a few weeks ago actually. When we
replaced one of our cars very recently I made the conscious decision
*not* to go for a diesel, as I figured that with SWMBO (no offence,
love...) and teenagers both driving it alongside our existing
petrol-engined job, it would only be a matter of time before I had an
expensive cock-up on my hands.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Wish I'd known about these gadgets a few weeks ago actually. When we
replaced one of our cars very recently I made the conscious decision
*not* to go for a diesel, as I figured that with SWMBO (no offence,
love...) and teenagers both driving it alongside our existing
petrol-engined job, it would only be a matter of time before I had an
expensive cock-up on my hands.

Yonks ago when I worked for Karcher, they launched a new engine driven hot
water & steam pressure washer. Honda petrol engine, fuel tank was right
next to the diesel fuel tank for the heater. You can guess what happened to
8 of the first 12 we sold...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.
I bet you see several a day but don't know.
All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.

I bet they are actually particulate filters.

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/va...-converter.php

Pay up.

One all.
Its both ;-)

http://www.carpages.co.uk/vauxhall/v...s_09_08_03.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

What on earth made you think the wife or kids would be putting fuel in the
car?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would
in a car with a petrol engine.

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I must have been ripped off then. It cost me over £600 to replace the
catalytic converter on my 1999 Volvo V70 2.5D when it failed!

No, you were replaced over £600 to replace the particulate filter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
I bet they are actually particulate filters.

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/va...-converter.php

Pay up.

They are very cheap compared to petrol ones.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd
bus.

I bet you see several a day but don't know.
All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.

I bet they are actually particulate filters.

How do particulate filter burn off the particles?
Hint, they use a catalyst and oxidise them.
So even by your definition you have seen many diesels with cats.
Mine is a two stage cat IIRC so its more than a particulate filter as it
removes un-burnt fuel and CO as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I bet they are actually particulate filters.

How do particulate filter burn off the particles? Hint, they use a
catalyst and oxidise them.

Not really - they store, then later inject either extra fuel or additive
to "post-combust" the captured particulates.

Anyway, even then, they're not the same chemistry as a petrol three-way
cat, so aren't susceptible to lead poisoning. If you could still easily
find leaded petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right
up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the
top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

No advice needed. Just drive it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unleaded or Leaded? (was petrol in diesel tank)

Lobster gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

While we're on the subject of fuel... is there an easy way of
distinguishing leaded from unleaded petrol?

By taste.

Actually the petrol must be fairly old anyway...

What kind of "old"? A couple of years? A decade?

To be "leaded", it's going to be at least a decade old. If you suspect it
might be that kind of age, then I wouldn't go near using it. Keep it for
cleaning things, or get shot of it into the waste oil tank at your local
tip.

If it's only a year or three, then it's certain to be undeaded. Lob it in
a near-full tank, and you'll be fine.