Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frame sealant

I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 7:55*am, Martin Carroll wrote:
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. *They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Toolstation have acrylic frame sealers from £1.16.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

My comment would be to know exactly what you are using.
If you are intending to use white, make sure you get some tried and tested
product with plenty of testimony from this group or elsewhere.
The company that fitted our front door have a good local reputation - they
used brown sealant on a white frame claiming that it wouldn't discolout like
the white alternative. Sounds like a strange choice, but looks OK IMO.
Sorry can't give you a specific trade name to use, but I would avoid cheap
unless you have a better reason than cost to use it.
Scraping out metres of discoloured sealer 2 years hence will certainly make
it false economy.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
If you are intending to use white, make sure you get some tried and
tested product with plenty of testimony from this group or elsewhere.
The company that fitted our front door have a good local reputation -
they used brown sealant on a white frame claiming that it wouldn't
discolout like the white alternative. Sounds like a strange choice,
but looks OK IMO. Sorry can't give you a specific trade name to use, but
I would avoid cheap unless you have a better reason than cost to use
it. Scraping out metres of discoloured sealer 2 years hence will
certainly make it false economy.

I fitted a UPVC window and patio doors from Screwfix to the kitchen some
ten years ago and sealed with white silicone. It may have mellowed
slightly but still looks ok. Not that there are great wads of it - I made
up some 'shuttering' and used mortar to true up the walls to the side of
the opening so there was a nice smooth edge to the opening leaving the
required clearance.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

I needed this doing, and the bloke used what looks like mortar mix.
That's how it's usually done, he explained. And that's probably why it
usually needs redoing ;-)

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

I needed this doing, and the bloke used what looks like mortar mix.
That's how it's usually done, he explained. And that's probably why it
usually needs redoing ;-)

It's the way the instructions said with mine from Screwfix, IIRC. Fill the
gap twixt frame and wall with foam, then run a mortar fillet (a bit like
pointing) round the edge, and seal between it and the frame with silicone.
That's for a window mounted flush to the outside. I removed some of the
foam on the 'outside' to give a reasonable depth for the mortar.
But I can imagine a pro wanting a faster method.

Rob

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:

They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Not directly comparable, but I bought some of their "No Nonsense" parcel
tape and it was utterly, utterly pathetic. Put me off buying anything
else in that range and drove home the point that people will produce
things down to a price no matter how useless it makes them.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 8:38*am, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Might be worth dropping in to your local replacement window place
(the workshop, not the showroom (yellow pages) and seeing if they'll
sell you a case of the stuff that they use....

Our local independent double glazing outfit uses Siroflex Silicone
which is a brand that Toolstation sells.

I wouldn't use acrylic outside. But having used it once in a kitchen,
I wouldn't use it inside either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:

They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Not directly comparable, but I bought some of their "No Nonsense"
parcel tape and it was utterly, utterly pathetic. Put me off buying
anything else in that range and drove home the point that people will
produce things down to a price no matter how useless it makes them.

I use No Nonsense grab adhesive and its excellent.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:55:42 +0100, Martin Carroll wrote:

I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

A mortar fillet can look much neater than gunned sealants and it's really
quite durable. It needs a bit of practice to get it looking perfect but
the end result looks much better than sealant.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rob wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK, maybe he did that. Actually and in fairness it does look neat
and more in keeping with the stone fronted house. He came recommended
via a local Sheffield forum as someone who'd done done work on
conservation projects. £200 for all the front windows and door, and
about a third of the pointing at the front, including scaffold. Pretty
happy all told.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Are the frames plastic or timber? - AFAIK the use of a polysulphide sealant
is recommended for timber.
PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
A mortar fillet can look much neater than gunned sealants and it's
really quite durable. It needs a bit of practice to get it looking
perfect but the end result looks much better than sealant.

Cic.

Can you get "textured acrylic" in cartridges? Beige/grey sealant with added
sand that looked like cement could be useful for minor repointing and other
small jobs, would have an indefinite shelf-life, and would need so much
practice to get right.
The few times I've tried to use mortar fillets they've shrunk or cracked and
fallen out.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
Can you get "textured acrylic" in cartridges? Beige/grey sealant with
added sand that looked like cement could be useful for minor repointing
and other small jobs, would have an indefinite shelf-life, and would
need so much practice to get right. The few times I've tried to use
mortar fillets they've shrunk or cracked and fallen out.

Then you're not doing it right since it's just like pointing.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

A mortar fillet can look much neater than gunned sealants and it's really
quite durable. It needs a bit of practice to get it looking perfect but
the end result looks much better than sealant.

Greed but it does leak and lead to rot of the frame and it cracks as the
wood "breathes". I've had good results in the past with a mortar fillet
sealed with transparent silicone.

Other than that, Sikaflex for the expensive route, MSP sealants (grey or
white only) for fcheapskates like me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
A mortar fillet can look much neater than gunned sealants and it's
really quite durable. It needs a bit of practice to get it looking
perfect but the end result looks much better than sealant.

Greed but it does leak and lead to rot of the frame and it cracks as the
wood "breathes". I've had good results in the past with a mortar fillet
sealed with transparent silicone.

But it shouldn't actually touch the wood - just the bricks. I used some
thin wood strip as a spacer to give a nice neat gap - actually a venetian
blind blade. ;-) And then seal between it and the frame with silicone or a
paintable sealer if the frame is to be painted.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

sealant on uPVC frame bobd UK diy 4 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Mildew Resistant Frame Sealant Dean Cox UK diy 2 December 2nd 05 09:25 AM
Painting over window frame sealant JustMe UK diy 8 May 8th 05 01:50 AM
Window Frame to Wall Sealant Frank UK diy 3 April 14th 05 10:50 AM
Cracks round window frame: which sealant? [email protected] UK diy 2 January 27th 05 11:45 AM