Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default Frame sealant

Hi Folks

wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:55 am, Martin Carroll wrote:
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Toolstation have acrylic frame sealers from £1.16.

I've used a variety of sealants over the years - but I think,if it was
for something 'structural' I'd err on the side of caution and use a
branded product.....

...think of the grief and aggravation if you had to re-do all of the
window-frames and doors because the sealant wasn't up to the job !

Might be worth dropping in to your local replacement window place
(the workshop, not the showroom (yellow pages) and seeing if they'll
sell you a case of the stuff that they use....

Good luck!
Adrian