Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frame sealant

In article ,
Rob wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

I needed this doing, and the bloke used what looks like mortar mix.
That's how it's usually done, he explained. And that's probably why it
usually needs redoing ;-)

It's the way the instructions said with mine from Screwfix, IIRC. Fill the
gap twixt frame and wall with foam, then run a mortar fillet (a bit like
pointing) round the edge, and seal between it and the frame with silicone.
That's for a window mounted flush to the outside. I removed some of the
foam on the 'outside' to give a reasonable depth for the mortar.
But I can imagine a pro wanting a faster method.

Rob

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.