Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frame sealant

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
A mortar fillet can look much neater than gunned sealants and it's
really quite durable. It needs a bit of practice to get it looking
perfect but the end result looks much better than sealant.

Greed but it does leak and lead to rot of the frame and it cracks as the
wood "breathes". I've had good results in the past with a mortar fillet
sealed with transparent silicone.

But it shouldn't actually touch the wood - just the bricks. I used some
thin wood strip as a spacer to give a nice neat gap - actually a venetian
blind blade. ;-) And then seal between it and the frame with silicone or a
paintable sealer if the frame is to be painted.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.