Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Frame sealant

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have about a dozen window frames plus 3 doors to seal and looking at
screwfix the named sealants are in excess of £4.50 each. They do sell a
"No Nonsense" acrylic sealer for £2.99 and a water-based "weather
resistant" one for £1.35.

Anyone tried the cheaper ones and have any comments to make?

Cheers

Martin

My comment would be to know exactly what you are using.
If you are intending to use white, make sure you get some tried and tested
product with plenty of testimony from this group or elsewhere.
The company that fitted our front door have a good local reputation - they
used brown sealant on a white frame claiming that it wouldn't discolout like
the white alternative. Sounds like a strange choice, but looks OK IMO.
Sorry can't give you a specific trade name to use, but I would avoid cheap
unless you have a better reason than cost to use it.
Scraping out metres of discoloured sealer 2 years hence will certainly make
it false economy.

Phil