Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frame sealant

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
If you are intending to use white, make sure you get some tried and
tested product with plenty of testimony from this group or elsewhere.
The company that fitted our front door have a good local reputation -
they used brown sealant on a white frame claiming that it wouldn't
discolout like the white alternative. Sounds like a strange choice,
but looks OK IMO. Sorry can't give you a specific trade name to use, but
I would avoid cheap unless you have a better reason than cost to use
it. Scraping out metres of discoloured sealer 2 years hence will
certainly make it false economy.

I fitted a UPVC window and patio doors from Screwfix to the kitchen some
ten years ago and sealed with white silicone. It may have mellowed
slightly but still looks ok. Not that there are great wads of it - I made
up some 'shuttering' and used mortar to true up the walls to the side of
the opening so there was a nice smooth edge to the opening leaving the
required clearance.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.