Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default burglar alarm

Any recommendations for a diy burglar alarm for a scout hut. I thing I want
the dual microwave plus PIR sensors and a wired system 'phoning out via a
payg sim. 5 rooms including vestibule.There's nothing particularly valuable
to protect but once notified someone can be on the scene in seconds.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:23:58 +0100, andrew wrote:

There's nothing particularly valuable to protect but once notified
someone can be on the scene in seconds.

Assuming that it's not 0330 and the respondee(s) are not tucked up in bed
sound alseep... And what are they going to do even if they do get there
and find intruders? People caught where they shouldn't be tend to react in
a none to friendly manner. Citizens Arrest? Very, very grey area of law
and best avoided.

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

I guess that's true of any burglar alarm. In this case I've been delegated
to look at the problem , the decision to have an alarm has been taken. I
just want a cost effective installation.

I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

I guess that's true of any burglar alarm. In this case I've been delegated
to look at the problem , the decision to have an alarm has been taken. I
just want a cost effective installation.

Ours is a commercial installation but I am sure there are lots of DIY
jobs available. Screwfix for one:-)

You will need a door entry switch and the keypad to set and re-set the
alarm. After that you might be able to economise on PIR detectors if
entry routes are obvious. Phone home is beyond my experience.

I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.

Yes. The experience here with our barns and the cricket pavilion was
that entry was gained for solvent abuse etc. and fires set on their way
home. Noise at the outset would probably have saved the insurers.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. The experience here with our barns and the cricket pavilion was
that entry was gained for solvent abuse etc. and fires set on their way
home. Noise at the outset would probably have saved the insurers.

What did they put in the cricket pavilion? I'm hoping to get away with just
5 dual tech PIRs a keypad/controller and the GSM dialler and have costs
below 300 quid plus a small amount of my time.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , andrew
writes

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Note, your PAYG sim will probably expire after 6 months if not used,
so an occasional test call would be advised,

Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
andrew writes:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

I guess that's true of any burglar alarm. In this case I've been delegated
to look at the problem , the decision to have an alarm has been taken. I
just want a cost effective installation.

I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.

As often advised on here, most important is physical security.
(door/gate locks, window locks, door/windows/gates/fences properly
maintained, security lighting, etc.)

For the alarm, there are probably two significant aspects.
Firstly, making it a visible deterrent with visible external
sounders with flashing LEDs so they stand out at night.
That combined with good physical security basically says it's
easier to go and break-in somewhere else, so don't bother here.

Then, if the physical security and the visible alarm deterrent
fail, I think sound bombs are a good idea. They may scare off
the burglars before they do further damage. You really don't
want to meet them face-to-face though.

There are a number of things to consider which you haven't
mentioned. Such as is there anything stored in there which is
particularly attractive to steel (e.g. a room full of PC's).
Also, is the building in the middle of an urban residential
area, or out in the sticks with just one or two households
nearby? Do you have an insurance requirement to fit the alarm?

BTW, I wouldn't have thought a PAYG contract was a good choice.
You really want a permanent contract for something like this.
You could use a land line if the line is well enough protected
against being cut. If you're looking for a monitored solution,
then there are things like RedCare which will detect the line
being cut.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.

As often advised on here, most important is physical security.
(door/gate locks, window locks, door/windows/gates/fences properly
maintained, security lighting, etc.)

For the alarm, there are probably two significant aspects.
Firstly, making it a visible deterrent with visible external
sounders with flashing LEDs so they stand out at night.
That combined with good physical security basically says it's
easier to go and break-in somewhere else, so don't bother here.

Cameras and recorders are now a lot cheaper. A notice saying 'you are
being recorded' with physical evidence of it being true might also be a
deterrent. It might encourage imntruders to burn the place down to
destroy recorded evidence of course, but casting doubt into even a
moronic brain might work.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 9:23 am, andrew wrote:
Any recommendations for a diy burglar alarm for a scout hut. I thing I want
the dual microwave plus PIR sensors and a wired system 'phoning out via a
payg sim. 5 rooms including vestibule.There's nothing particularly valuable
to protect but once notified someone can be on the scene in seconds.

We installed a "screamer" siren (audible for around a mile) on the
roof of our mountain hut, plus a loud alarm inside.
Someone smashed the locks off two doors and opened them.
Fortunately the alarm was one which reset itself even if doors were
left open. The sensor inside kept turning the siren on when they went
inside, and they left without doing any more damage..
The plywood I glued and bolted on the inside of the doors worked well.
Now we need better locks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:23:58 +0100, andrew wrote:

There's nothing particularly valuable to protect but once notified
someone can be on the scene in seconds.

Assuming that it's not 0330 and the respondee(s) are not tucked up in
bed sound alseep... And what are they going to do even if they do get
there and find intruders? People caught where they shouldn't be tend
to react in a none to friendly manner. Citizens Arrest? Very, very
grey area of law and best avoided.

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. The experience here with our barns and the cricket pavilion was
that entry was gained for solvent abuse etc. and fires set on their way
home. Noise at the outset would probably have saved the insurers.

What did they put in the cricket pavilion? I'm hoping to get away with just
5 dual tech PIRs a keypad/controller and the GSM dialler and have costs
below 300 quid plus a small amount of my time.

I don't know. I don't even know anyone who plays there to ask. Sorry.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

Used indoors, to create a sound which is too painfully loud to
hang around.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

Being slightly deaf and having a reasonably large house I use one of
these as my door bell sounder. It has two plus points, firstly I can
hear it anywhere in the house and secondly the person at the door gets
positive feedback that the bell push has worked.

If you have these as part of your alarm system no one will want to stay
in the same area as them!!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

Being slightly deaf and having a reasonably large house I use one of these
as my door bell sounder. It has two plus points, firstly I can hear it
anywhere in the house and secondly the person at the door gets positive
feedback that the bell push has worked.

If you have these as part of your alarm system no one will want to stay in
the same area as them!!

I hear tell that a Max Bygraves LP played at normal volume has the same
effect.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

Wozza sound bomb then?

Name for an extra loud sounder - usually multiple transducers.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

Used indoors, to create a sound which is too painfully loud to
hang around.

--
Andrew Gabriel

The soft equivalent of this

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/...roducts_id=299

Sound bomb 111dB
Master Blaster 127dB
Air Raid Warning Siren 135db

I fitted 3 in a soil lab. Testing them out was fun.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/...roducts_id=299

Call that a siren?

This is a siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/...roducts_id=299

Call that a siren?

This is a siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0

138dB and the loudest air raid siren ever made according to the web.

Adam

Burglar alarm Fred UK diy 4 January 21st 08 04:33 PM
Using my burglar alarm Jethro Home Repair 24 February 20th 07 04:52 PM
Burglar alarm Frenchy UK diy 9 September 15th 05 06:44 PM
Burglar Alarm Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 April 7th 05 01:04 AM
Burglar Alarm Neil UK diy 33 July 27th 03 12:02 PM