Frenchy

Default Burglar alarm

Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up the
spare parts in France might be good, even though I would want to buy
the system in the UK and take it out. Someone said Bosch was good, what
do you all think? We certainly need a system that is rock solid that
will not play up the minute we are away.
Now what I need is an offer of help on the installation and in
exchange, I will give you full board in the beautiful South of France
for a week.
Any takers?

--
Frenchy
Tim Mitchell

In article , Frenchy
writes

Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up the
spare parts in France might be good, even though I would want to buy
the system in the UK and take it out. Someone said Bosch was good, what
do you all think? We certainly need a system that is rock solid that
will not play up the minute we are away.

You don't want a wireless system then... especially not if you are going
to be away for long periods.
--
Tim Mitchell
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:39:12 +0100, Frenchy
scrawled:

Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need.

No-one _needs_ wireless, some have to put up with it. I personally
wouldn't touch wireless with your bargepole but I've heard good
reports from some fellow installers who have used the professional
trade equipment, not the B&Q specials.

Also a make that I could pick up the
spare parts in France might be good, even though I would want to buy
the system in the UK and take it out. Someone said Bosch was good, what
do you all think? We certainly need a system that is rock solid that
will not play up the minute we are away.

Yep, the Bosch is apparantly a good choice, as is the GardTec, the
Honywell Domonial and The Scantronic Class VI offerings. These are a
bit less easy to come by by DIYers as they are generally only
available to trade, One of the better top end DIY\low endPro systems
is the ESP Infinite. All depends what you can get, if you can tempt a
professional installer over then you can get them to supply anything
you want then.

Now what I need is an offer of help on the installation and in
exchange, I will give you full board in the beautiful South of France
for a week.
Any takers?

Hmmm, tempting.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Tim Mitchell writes:
In article , Frenchy
writes

Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up the
spare parts in France might be good, even though I would want to buy
the system in the UK and take it out. Someone said Bosch was good, what
do you all think? We certainly need a system that is rock solid that
will not play up the minute we are away.

You don't want a wireless system then... especially not if you are going
to be away for long periods.

And the concept of wireless systems and spare parts don't go
too well together either. With a wired system, you can generally
use anyone's detectors -- not so with a wireless system.

--
Andrew Gabriel
AJB

Hi,

I've just been looking to install an alarm at my home (England!).

Wireless - bad. False alarms. Interference. Easy to disarm from outside!

Best bet is one of the 'professional' systems, which are more difficult
to get hold of by the DIY-er.

How computer savvy are you? The more complex alarms can require a lot of
programming.....

Having googled for ages, and looked at www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk a
lot (good reviews section & v.good forums...) I'm going for a Texecom
Premier (from www.alertelectrical.com).

In article ,
says...

Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse?

Lurch

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:33:35 +0100, AJB
scrawled:

Having googled for ages, and looked at www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk a
lot (good reviews section & v.good forums...)

Can't argue with that.

I'm going for a Texecom
Premier (from www.alertelectrical.com).

Good choice for a professional DIY system. Not a fantastic choice if
you're not fully conversant with alarm installation practices.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
AJB

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:33:35 +0100, AJB
scrawled:

Having googled for ages, and looked at
www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk a
lot (good reviews section & v.good forums...)

Can't argue with that.

Funny how the same people pop up all over the place, eh, Stu? .. :-)

I'm going for a Texecom
Premier (from www.alertelectrical.com).

Good choice for a professional DIY system. Not a fantastic choice if
you're not fully conversant with alarm installation practices.

Fairy Nuff. But I write software for a living, and will probably spend a
few days playing with the programming.... The installation guide seems
pretty well written (140+ pages or so!) It looks like a pretty
configurable system.
Lurch

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:11:41 +0100, AJB
scrawled:

Fairy Nuff. But I write software for a living, and will probably spend a
few days playing with the programming....

Ah, now I know who you are!

The installation guide seems
pretty well written (140+ pages or so!) It looks like a pretty
configurable system.

It'll do pretty much anything you want, it's one of the better DIY
systems available, which is why I stopped installing them.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Ian Stirling

Frenchy wrote:

Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up the

Alas, meter thick walls are probably a really bad idea with wireless -
the wireless gets absorbed.
1m SDS bits are cheap.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Bonjour from France!
Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasing
for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess a
wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up the

Alas, meter thick walls are probably a really bad idea with wireless -
the wireless gets absorbed. 1m SDS bits are cheap.

Yes. My comment would be that I work in broadcast audio and of course use
radio links of various types. Costing typically 2 grand or so plus.

But none beats a cable...

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.