Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default burglar alarm

In article ,
andrew writes:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Think a bit more about what the plan of action is to be when the alarm
triggers. Have a look at sound bombs.

I guess that's true of any burglar alarm. In this case I've been delegated
to look at the problem , the decision to have an alarm has been taken. I
just want a cost effective installation.

I imagine deterring vandals is a major consideration.

As often advised on here, most important is physical security.
(door/gate locks, window locks, door/windows/gates/fences properly
maintained, security lighting, etc.)

For the alarm, there are probably two significant aspects.
Firstly, making it a visible deterrent with visible external
sounders with flashing LEDs so they stand out at night.
That combined with good physical security basically says it's
easier to go and break-in somewhere else, so don't bother here.

Then, if the physical security and the visible alarm deterrent
fail, I think sound bombs are a good idea. They may scare off
the burglars before they do further damage. You really don't
want to meet them face-to-face though.

There are a number of things to consider which you haven't
mentioned. Such as is there anything stored in there which is
particularly attractive to steel (e.g. a room full of PC's).
Also, is the building in the middle of an urban residential
area, or out in the sticks with just one or two households
nearby? Do you have an insurance requirement to fit the alarm?

BTW, I wouldn't have thought a PAYG contract was a good choice.
You really want a permanent contract for something like this.
You could use a land line if the line is well enough protected
against being cut. If you're looking for a monitored solution,
then there are things like RedCare which will detect the line
being cut.

--
Andrew Gabriel