Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House Tech wireless TRV system ?

Hi,

I'm starting to see a system advertised called House tech, which
consists of motorized TRV's and a room thermostat. Both the TRV
'head' and the stat are battery powered and communicate wirelessly, so
the stat part does not have to be physically close to the radiator. I
wonder if anyone has any experience of these ? I think the system
comes from Germany.

I ask because generally I find that TRV's don't work especially well.
I have two teenagers who spend a lot of time using PC & games consoles
in their rooms which get very warm, while the rest of the house maybe
on the cool side. A smarter TRV system i.e one that works , would seem
a good move.
They claim that the units connect to a wide range of TRV fittings -
you remove the top pice. Not sure if my Drayton 'Lifestyle' is the
same as the Danfoss fitting they support.

I have no connection with HouseHeat - it just seemed like it might be
a good idea , assuming it works and you don't have to spend your life
replacing batteries
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jives11 writes:
Hi,

I'm starting to see a system advertised called House tech, which
consists of motorized TRV's and a room thermostat. Both the TRV
'head' and the stat are battery powered and communicate wirelessly, so
the stat part does not have to be physically close to the radiator. I
wonder if anyone has any experience of these ? I think the system
comes from Germany.

I ask because generally I find that TRV's don't work especially well.
I have two teenagers who spend a lot of time using PC & games consoles
in their rooms which get very warm, while the rest of the house maybe
on the cool side. A smarter TRV system i.e one that works , would seem
a good move.

Might just be that your TRV heads are worn out.
You could try renewing one of the heads, to see.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.house-intelligence.co.uk/...heat_products/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jives11 wrote:
I ask because generally I find that TRV's don't work especially well.
I have two teenagers who spend a lot of time using PC & games consoles
in their rooms which get very warm, while the rest of the house maybe
on the cool side. A smarter TRV system i.e one that works , would seem
a good move.

Have you actually measured the room temperatures before the kids start
playing and after they've been doing so for a while? Are the rads in that
room shutting down? It's just that the body isn't a good judge of absolute
temperature - it depends on lots of factors which a thermostat can't take
into consideration.

If the TRVs aren't maintaining the temp you want have you tried changing
the orientation from vertical to horizontal, say?

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
jives11 wrote:
I ask because generally I find that TRV's don't work especially well.
I have two teenagers who spend a lot of time using PC & games consoles
in their rooms which get very warm, while the rest of the house maybe
on the cool side. A smarter TRV system i.e one that works , would seem
a good move.

Have you actually measured the room temperatures before the kids start
playing and after they've been doing so for a while? Are the rads in that
room shutting down? It's just that the body isn't a good judge of absolute
temperature - it depends on lots of factors which a thermostat can't take
into consideration.

If the TRVs aren't maintaining the temp you want have you tried changing
the orientation from vertical to horizontal, say?

Or checked that they work at all? The valves can stick, though IME they
tend to stick closed.

I've generally found that TRV's to work pretty well, but they won't stop
a room getting hot from otherways.

And I assuem the TRV's are turned down ? I'd turn the trv right off and
see how it goes.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French wrote:
If the TRVs aren't maintaining the temp you want have you tried changing
the orientation from vertical to horizontal, say?

Or checked that they work at all? The valves can stick, though IME they
tend to stick closed.

I've generally found that TRV's to work pretty well, but they won't stop
a room getting hot from otherways.

Indeed. Hence my point at actually measuring the temperature of the room
empty and then after it's been in use some time, and making sure the rad
has shut down. A radiator can only heat the room - not cool it. ;-)

And I assuem the TRV's are turned down ? I'd turn the trv right off and
see how it goes.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:06:53 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
jives11 writes:
Hi,

I'm starting to see a system advertised called House tech, which
consists of motorized TRV's and a room thermostat. Both the TRV
'head' and the stat are battery powered and communicate wirelessly, so
the stat part does not have to be physically close to the radiator. I
wonder if anyone has any experience of these ? I think the system
comes from Germany.

I ask because generally I find that TRV's don't work especially well.
I have two teenagers who spend a lot of time using PC & games consoles
in their rooms which get very warm, while the rest of the house maybe
on the cool side. A smarter TRV system i.e one that works , would seem
a good move.

Might just be that your TRV heads are worn out.
You could try renewing one of the heads, to see.

Some makers ('Optima' and possibly Wickes) state, "... the head and body
must not be separated, they are a calibrated pair and must be used with
each other."

If a new head is fitted it might give misleading results, although it's
difficult to see why calibration should be so important in this case.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jives11 writes:
[...]

He said his are Drayton. They seem to be very good about supplying
new heads for valves they stopped supplying years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cicero wrote:
Some makers ('Optima' and possibly Wickes) state, "... the head and body
must not be separated, they are a calibrated pair and must be used with
each other."

Calibrated to what, I wonder? Since all the ones I've seen don't have
actual temperatures on them. Apart from the anti-freezing setting, I
suppose.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:32:01 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Cicero wrote:
Some makers ('Optima' and possibly Wickes) state, "... the head and body
must not be separated, they are a calibrated pair and must be used with
each other."

Calibrated to what, I wonder? Since all the ones I've seen don't have
actual temperatures on them. Apart from the anti-freezing setting, I
suppose.

The Optima version has numbered settings 1 - 6 with intermediate marks
between the numbers and the manual gives a range of actual temperatures
for each major marking. The manual is also quite emphatic about the
calibration - "... the head and body MUST be used in conjunction with each
other." It seems rather bad marketing to make head replacement impossible
in the event of failure unless they offer a re-calibration service with a
replacement head.

The Wickes version appears to be their own brand version of the Optima
judging by the installation guide.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door