Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can anyone mend my telly?

Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired computers had
a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or capacitor I think) in
what he said was called the power circuit. He soldered a new one in and it
worked again for a few more years and then died again. I'm guessing it's the
same thing broken. Said mate no longer plays with electrickery things having
found himself a bonkable girlfriend finally for the first time in 40 years.
I can't argue with that. We all have to lose our virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair shop.
Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a crack at
it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Baker
writes
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired computers had
a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or capacitor I think) in
what he said was called the power circuit. He soldered a new one in and it
worked again for a few more years and then died again. I'm guessing it's the
same thing broken. Said mate no longer plays with electrickery things having
found himself a bonkable girlfriend finally for the first time in 40 years.
I can't argue with that. We all have to lose our virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair shop.
Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a crack at
it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.

ask your mate what it was that died

I can prolly get you one, but don't have time to mess around with TVs at
this time of year

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired computers had
a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or capacitor I think) in
what he said was called the power circuit. He soldered a new one in and it
worked again for a few more years and then died again. I'm guessing it's the
same thing broken. Said mate no longer plays with electrickery things having
found himself a bonkable girlfriend finally for the first time in 40 years.
I can't argue with that. We all have to lose our virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair shop.
Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a crack at
it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.

complete waste of time guessing.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....=Fault_Finding

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired computers
had a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or capacitor I think)
in what he said was called the power circuit. He soldered a new one in and
it worked again for a few more years and then died again. I'm guessing
it's the same thing broken. Said mate no longer plays with electrickery
things having found himself a bonkable girlfriend finally for the first
time in 40 years. I can't argue with that. We all have to lose our
virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair
shop. Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a
crack at it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.

Realistically the set is totally un-economic to repair. Spend the money on
getting a new set.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Blimey, you must still be watching 'All creatures great and small'

I'll get me coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Dave Baker
writes
[...]

I did back when it broke for the second time but he said he couldn't
remember exactly. It had been a few years mind since he'd fixed it.
Something very simple though like a single resistor on a circuit board as
far as he could recall. It was the part that powered the tv up rather than
anything that actually made the monitor display pictures. The symptom is
it's just stone dead like a fuse has blown rather than working but not
properly.

I can prolly get you one, but don't have time to mess around with TVs at
this time of year

I wish electrickery was one of my own skills but being colourblind pretty
much knocks it on the head. Everything just looks a jumbled mess and trying
to read a wiring diagram gives me a headache in about 3 seconds flat. I know
for example that the little coloured bands on resistors are there to tell
you what size they are but it's not much help when you can't tell what the
bloody colours are. I suppose I could have a play with a multimeter and try
and find something that was completely open or closed circuit though but
where to even start.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

For the amount I watch tv which is near as dammit nil it's not worth doing
either probably and I know there's not that long to go before all tellies go
digital but it seems a shame to throw out something that complex for the
sake of a 10p component and a few minutes soldering. It'd let it soldier on
for another couple of years anyway. For now I just manage with the old one
which is also a Ferguson, 22 years old and has never gone wrong once. Well
the on/off switch doesn't work but luckily it failed in the on position so I
just switch it on and off at the wall. Other than that it was one of my
better buys. No remote control, no teletext, no external surround sound
speakers and miles of wire all round the room but at least it still displays
a very good picture when I actually watch it once every couple of months.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

The trouble is that you are never sure if the part that has died is a
symptom of something else causing an overload. Some of these old sets had
very common chassis that were used by many manufacturers - there will be an
expert out there somewhere.

what happened the TV Repair newsgroup?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

You could try: http://www.avrepair.info/faults/TVFAULT.HTM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

seems a shame to throw out something that complex for the
sake of a 10p component and a few minutes soldering.

My local repair shop has a pile of 28" tvs for sale at £20 each. That's
what they retail for when they're working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

seems a shame to throw out something that complex for the
sake of a 10p component and a few minutes soldering.

My local repair shop has a pile of 28" tvs for sale at £20 each. That's
what they retail for when they're working.

Here in South Leics, it is impossible to give them away.
Tried a card in the local PO, TV for £10. No takers.
Then changed it to free to collect. No takers.

Took it down the tip, asked the bloke if anyone would want it. No, put
it in the skip over there - nearly all of them work, no one wants them.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
seems a shame to throw out something that complex for the
sake of a 10p component and a few minutes soldering.

My local repair shop has a pile of 28" tvs for sale at £20 each. That's
what they retail for when they're working.

Struth. I think it cost about £800 and that was when £800 was actually worth
£800 not the £400 it would be worth now. I remember getting it all wired up
the first time, turning it up full and rattling all the pictures off the
walls and thinking this is some telly. It has more grunt than my HiFi
system. So now it's basically scrap. I hate scrapping things. I've spent
most of my life repairing things, engines basically, and scrapping something
that almost works doesn't sit right. If I have one complaint about it it's I
can't lift the bloody thing. It weighs a ton. Well I can just about lift it
but it's horribly imbalanced. All the weight is on one side, the screen
basically, and just getting it into the car to take it somewhere to be fixed
is enough of a struggle. I guess I'll leave it sat where it is until digital
tellies come in and if no one can help before then it'll get chucked.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Funny how a flat LCD or Plasma is a 'must have' when the entertainment value
is exactly the same as with the old CRT TV. I will wait for the prices to
tumble - lower shipping costs due to their size must have a big effect on
the trade price. It must be possible to get 5 times the number of flat TVs
in a container than the old CRTs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think you can depend on prices continuing to fall if the beloved
£££ continues its downward spiral.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:52:30 -0000, John wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

be prepared to wait then. The lower value of the £ means that imported goods
could _rise_ in price next year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

The only real advantage of LCD's is that you can lift them
practically one-handed .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired
computers had a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or
capacitor I think) in what he said was called the power circuit. He
soldered a new one in and it worked again for a few more years and then
died again. I'm guessing it's the same thing broken. Said mate no
longer plays with electrickery things having found himself a bonkable
girlfriend finally for the first time in 40 years. I can't argue with
that. We all have to lose our virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair
shop. Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a
crack at it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.

The likely thing is an electrolytic capacitor in the switch mode power
supply by your description. Due to the high frequencies used in these
power supplies some are highly stressed. With luck it should be obvious
which one has been changed as it could well be a different make from the
originals - even colour. They can be tested using an ESR meter - but with
their low cost just changing it can make sense. Even if an identical
replacement was used you can usually tell which it is by the fresher
looking solder etc.

But sod's law applies. The same fault - not working ;-) - could be caused
by any number of things, and some SMPS are near impossible to fault find.
They have feedback circuits from various parts of the set which cause them
to shut down (or not start up) if things ain't right somewhere - so the PS
can't be tested as a stand alone unit. Without a custom test rig. I threw
out a Philips set like this - Philip's answer was to replace all the
semicondictors in the PS at a cost of several hundred pounds.

I could certainly replace the capacitor for you and test any others in
the PS, as I have an ESR meter. But I'm well short of being an expert in
TV repairs - audio is more my thing.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Might be an idea to squirrel all those old tvs then. We could end up
selling them to each other at boot sales for a suitcase full of pound notes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 22:34:52 +0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

Realistically the set is totally un-economic to repair. Spend the money
on getting a new set.

If you don't need to have the latest and greatest set then get yourself
on Freecycle.

I'm off 5 miles down the road tomorrow to pick up a 24" Sony set, 6 years
old, full working order, Dolby stereo, etc. etc. Totally for *free*.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK to find your nearest group(s).
There's one most places now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Given the amount of copper in old TVs (degaussing coil, etc) I am surprised
the pikeys haven't been nicking them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Skip rats always remove the flexes.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Join your local freecycle group on yahoo groups or click on the link to find
your nearest group:

http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/

Then ask if anyone has an old telly that they don't want.

You can not request help in fixing yours by the way

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

That sounds familiar thinking back several years to what he said had been
wrong.

[...]

He certainly wouldn't have had any test rig either so I'm guessing it was a
fairly simple thing to spot. As you say it might well not be the same thing
again though.

I could certainly replace the capacitor for you and test any others in
the PS, as I have an ESR meter. But I'm well short of being an expert in
TV repairs - audio is more my thing.

Sounds like a plan. If a capacitor stands out as being duff and changing it
cures the problem all well and good and if not and it looks more complex
I'll bin it. No point wasting hours on the thing. Anything you want done on
the engine equipment? Head skim etc, brake disks or flywheel refaced?
Honing?

Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly anymore on
either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa? Drat. I haven't
used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that sound like something
obvious?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly anymore
on either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa? Drat. I
haven't used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that sound like
something obvious?

Bah. It's not even a Panasonic. It's a Technics although that's the same
company as I recall.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly anymore
on either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa? Drat. I
haven't used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that sound like
something obvious?

Bah. It's not even a Panasonic. It's a Technics although that's the same
company as I recall.

Here's the one.

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/tapedecks/rsm33.htm
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly
anymore on either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa?
Drat. I haven't used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that
sound like something obvious?

Bah. It's not even a Panasonic. It's a Technics although that's the same
company as I recall.

Here's the one.

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/tapedecks/rsm33.htm
--
Dave Baker

Corrosion of a contact or switch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:05:45 UTC, "Dave Baker" wrote:

Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly anymore on
either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa? Drat. I haven't
used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that sound like something
obvious?

Dunno. But it's reminded me that my Quad preamp (33-303) started smoking
on Christmas Day! Time to take a look...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Talking of audio my venerable old Panasonic cassette deck has lost some
output on one track. It plays back ok but doesn't record properly
anymore on either the right or left speaker side. Or was it vice versa?
Drat. I haven't used it for so many years I've forgotten but does that
sound like something obvious?

Bah. It's not even a Panasonic. It's a Technics although that's the same
company as I recall.

Here's the one.

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/tapedecks/rsm33.htm
--
Dave Baker

Corrosion of a contact or switch?

It'll be a component on a circuit board somewhere. Probably just a resistor
or capacitor on one side of the record circuit. It can't be the record head
because it's a 2 head deck so one head does both playback and record and the
other does erase. If it was the record head then both playback and record
wouldn't work rather than just one of them. That's about as far as logic
alone can take me. Someone who actually knows what they're doing will
probably find it in five minutes.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
I could certainly replace the capacitor for you and test any others in
the PS, as I have an ESR meter. But I'm well short of being an expert
in TV repairs - audio is more my thing.

Sounds like a plan. If a capacitor stands out as being duff and changing
it cures the problem all well and good and if not and it looks more
complex I'll bin it. No point wasting hours on the thing. Anything you
want done on the engine equipment? Head skim etc, brake disks or
flywheel refaced? Honing?

I seem to have lost your email address and I assume the one here is a spam
trap? Could you mail me?

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Baker
writes
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on.

CRT - chuck it, they're lethal

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...judktRiaU_jURg
gbj9fFiFvvw

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

In message , Dave Baker
writes
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on.

CRT - chuck it, they're lethal

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iqJjudktRiaU_jURggbj9fFiFvvw

What was he thinking?
Dopey ****er might have put his back out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 07:18:42 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

CRT - chuck it, they're lethal

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...judktRiaU_jURg

gbj9fFiFvvw

What was he thinking?
Dopey ****er might have put his back out.

Large LCD or Plasma sets aren't that much lighter, if at all. Most of the
weight of a CRT set comes from the tube face these days. This does make
them rather unbalanced as an object but that wasn't a factor in this
tragic accident. The poor chaps only mistake was not ensuring that his
path was clear.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Large LCD or Plasma sets aren't that much lighter, if at all.

They are - like for like. It's just that 40" plus CRT ones were very rare.
I have a pal with a 36" one which need a crane to lift it. ;-)

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dyson DC03, how to shorten hose to mend split? Mike Barnes UK diy 8 October 22nd 08 09:35 PM
How to mend edge of concrete on front of garage floor? Peter Hemmings UK diy 4 February 10th 06 10:49 PM
Our telly Finished? Arthur UK diy 15 August 18th 05 09:06 PM
How Can You Mend..... Red Neckerson Home Repair 3 December 14th 04 02:09 AM
Can I mend my oven? Jeremy Collins UK diy 17 September 10th 03 10:20 PM