Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Can anyone mend my telly?

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Dave Baker
writes
Me has a Ferguson 28" Dolby telly about 15 years old wot worked fine for
several years and then wouldn't switch on. A mate who repaired computers
had
a look and it was just a single thingy (resistor or capacitor I think) in
what he said was called the power circuit. He soldered a new one in and it
worked again for a few more years and then died again. I'm guessing it's
the
same thing broken. Said mate no longer plays with electrickery things
having
found himself a bonkable girlfriend finally for the first time in 40
years.
I can't argue with that. We all have to lose our virginity sometime.

I know I'll get ripped off in spades if I take it to a "proper" repair
shop.
Anyone near enough to Amersham that I can drive to fancy having a crack at
it? I'm thinking Mr Plowman might have the necesary skills.

ask your mate what it was that died

I did back when it broke for the second time but he said he couldn't
remember exactly. It had been a few years mind since he'd fixed it.
Something very simple though like a single resistor on a circuit board as
far as he could recall. It was the part that powered the tv up rather than
anything that actually made the monitor display pictures. The symptom is
it's just stone dead like a fuse has blown rather than working but not
properly.

I can prolly get you one, but don't have time to mess around with TVs at
this time of year

I wish electrickery was one of my own skills but being colourblind pretty
much knocks it on the head. Everything just looks a jumbled mess and trying
to read a wiring diagram gives me a headache in about 3 seconds flat. I know
for example that the little coloured bands on resistors are there to tell
you what size they are but it's not much help when you can't tell what the
bloody colours are. I suppose I could have a play with a multimeter and try
and find something that was completely open or closed circuit though but
where to even start.
--
Dave Baker