Arthur

Default Our telly Finished?

Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

ben

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under guarentee.

ben

ben wrote:
[snip]

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under
guarentee.

lol, 9 years that a hell of a guarentee.

Arthur

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under guarentee.

Thanks.
I guessed it was the vertical something ..Vertical Hold is the only term I
know.
The VFT. Is it expensive to replace/fix?

Arthur

ben

Arthur wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under
guarentee.

Thanks.
I guessed it was the vertical something ..Vertical Hold is the only
term I know.
The VFT. Is it expensive to replace/fix?

Arthur

Dunno where you are but somewhere between £25/35 will be in order.
Personally i'd op for a new set and scrap the other because goodmans(bush)
are not worth a light and I've yet to come across a tv repairman who will
touch them.

Arthur

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under guarentee.

This box has been behaving badly for a while.
We have freeview through a Philips DTR 1500 Freeview box.
But for the past few months, while the BBC chanels are perfect, the
ITV1/2/3,C4, C5 chanels are unwatchable..like a pause button is held down.

Arthur

Arthur

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Arthur wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Arthur wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of the day the previous set upped and died....it was about the
60th minute of the
England - Germany match at Euro 96.
In the history of man there has never been a little white dot that was
stared at so incredulously
......then malevolently......then .....suspiciously.

Arthur

Frank Erskine

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:26:43 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

Or even line scan, rather than field scan...

--
Frank Erskine
Paul Herber

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:47:23 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

In the history of man there has never been a little white dot that was
stared at so incredulously
.....then malevolently......then .....suspiciously.

You see that white dot on a grey background?
That's your floodlit football match, that is!

Arthur

ell.net...
wrote:

In the history of man there has never been a little white dot that was
stared at so incredulously
.....then malevolently......then .....suspiciously.

You see that white dot on a grey background?
That's your floodlit football match, that is!

Well it was probably a better view than some were getting
that were in the cheap seats at wembley that day.

Arthur

Rusty

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

Or even line scan, rather than field scan...

Thats more logical than the frame, but if the line o/p had gone there would
be no EHT and nothing at all on the screen ??

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Arthur" writes:

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under guarentee.

Thanks.
I guessed it was the vertical something ..Vertical Hold is the only term I
know.
The VFT. Is it expensive to replace/fix?

In a 9 year old set, that maybe inside an IC (horizontal one
even more likely so), and some of these IC's have quite short
life as current products, which can make getting replacements
9 years later very difficult.

I had the horizontal output fail on my Hitachi. A google search
for the chip just turned up loads of other people trying to
find it too, with no success. I then delved in deeper and found
the chip wasn't getting any power for its output stage, due to
a low value series resistor having gone open circuit. I used
the IC datasheet to guess what the value might have been (too
burned to read from the original one), and replaced it. It's
been going for about another 5 years so far.

Find an old independant TV repair shop, and you might find a
technician who is prepared to do fault finding, rather than
one of the national repair outfits which is unlikely to do
anything unless they can simply change a whole module (circuit
board).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Peter Stockdale

"Arthur" wrote in message

This box has been behaving badly for a while.
We have freeview through a Philips DTR 1500 Freeview box.
But for the past few months, while the BBC chanels are perfect, the
ITV1/2/3,C4, C5 chanels are unwatchable..like a pause button is held down.

Arthur

Yup - we had a similar crisis with our freeview thingy .
All bbc stuff ok - all itv stuff duff.
I invested in a cheap (£10) external plug in booster which sorted it.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Capitol

Do a Google search on the model number, it may be a common fault.
Sounds like a poor connection/ broken horizontal component to me, as you
appear to have EHT ie, a white line. Most parts are available for
Goodmans TVs IME.

Regards
Capitol

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
Sorry to bother you with this.
Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre.
The sound is ok.
Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the
transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

Or even line scan, rather than field scan...

Thats more logical than the frame, but if the line o/p had gone there would
be no EHT and nothing at all on the screen ??

So it's beyond the line O/P transistor. It could be something simple
like a dry joint, e.g. on the scan coil connector. This is one of those
cases where the ancient tradition of a thump on the cabinet might fix
it :-), or if that fails, an honest repair shop may be able to fix it
without any component replacements.

Chris
Chris