ok

Default Burning finished wood in fireplace?

We just finished installing cedar siding on a cathedral ceiling. To save
time we pre-stained and finished the cedar before we installed it and now I
have all the scraps left over. Can I burn it in my fireplace? The wood is
stained with an oil stain and has 2 coats of a Minwax water-based acrylic
finish?

m Ransley

It can make you sick I would not burn it inside

Joe Bobst

Can I burn it in my fireplace?

Of course you can. Keep in mind that any smoke escaping into the room will have
an unusual odor. You might minimize that effect by using the scraps as a fire
starter. HTH

Joe

Eric Tonks

Cedar burns too hot, quick and with a lot of burning embers popping off in
all directions to use as firewood in a fireplace. However it does make
excellent, quick starting kindling. Its hot, quick heat will get difficult
to light logs burning fast.

Remember to keep a screen in front of the fire to catch the flying embers.

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Can I burn it in my fireplace?

Of course you can. Keep in mind that any smoke escaping into the room will

have
an unusual odor. You might minimize that effect by using the scraps as a

fire
starter. HTH

Joe

Joseph Meehan

"ok" wrote in message
. com...
We just finished installing cedar siding on a cathedral ceiling. To save
time we pre-stained and finished the cedar before we installed it and now
have all the scraps left over. Can I burn it in my fireplace? The wood
is
stained with an oil stain and has 2 coats of a Minwax water-based acrylic
finish?

You can, but there are two possible down sides.

First the stuff in the finish may get into your home. Not all of it
will go up the chimney. Some products will produce some nasty stuff and
make you sick. Second, cedar tends to bury hot and fast and your fireplace
was not likely designed for it. That could be a fire hazard. There is also
the chance for build up of tars in the chimney, which can result if a
chimney fire.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

ok

The fireplace is a sealed system. Heat-n-glo. Sealed glass doors, outside
air intake etc.. The only time exhaust gets in the room would be when I add
logs. Also, these are scrap pieces which I thought would make good
kindling, not trying to generate heat from them. Just wondering about the
finish.
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news

"ok" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Joseph Meehan

In that case you should be safe, but you may get some condensation of
the finish on the glass doors. Could be the devil to clean off.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

om...