Thomas Mitchell

Default Burning wood with drill press

I bought some 'wood' discs that are about 1" in diameter. I want to
drill a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of the disc. Using a 1" forstner
bit I drilled a depression in a piece of MDF for the disk to sit in. The
disc fits nicely in the depression and I don't have to worry about
holding the disc. I tried drilling the middle hole with a 1/4" bit. The
drill started nicely but then the disc started spinning and burning the
mdf and itself. The disc actually spun onto the bit as the bit was
raised up. The hole was a mess. I tried changing to a 1/4" forstner bit
hoping the outcome would be different but it was the same.

Other than holding the disc still somehow, is there a way to resolve
thie problem? Change the speed of press maybe?

Thomas

Woody

Yes, lower the speed and slow down your feed rate during the cut.
Helps to also withdraw the bit now and then to stop burning and clear any
chips that may wedge the bit and wood together causing it to catch.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser
- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System
- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench
- Veritas Basic Grinding Set
- Book: Making Workbenches

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
I bought some 'wood' discs that are about 1" in diameter. I want to
drill a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of the disc. Using a 1" forstner
bit I drilled a depression in a piece of MDF for the disk to sit in. The
disc fits nicely in the depression and I don't have to worry about
holding the disc. I tried drilling the middle hole with a 1/4" bit. The
drill started nicely but then the disc started spinning and burning the
mdf and itself. The disc actually spun onto the bit as the bit was
raised up. The hole was a mess. I tried changing to a 1/4" forstner bit
hoping the outcome would be different but it was the same.

Other than holding the disc still somehow, is there a way to resolve
thie problem? Change the speed of press maybe?

Thomas

Thomas Mitchell

Yes that worked really well. Unfortunately the disk still rides up with
the bit so I have to stop the press and take off the disc, but I was
wondering how I was going to get the disc out of the MDF anyway since it
was such a tight fit. I nice clean hole at least.

Woody wrote:
[...]

HarryM

Here is how I do it [making wheels for toys]. Drill a 1" hole in a 2" wide
board about 16" long. Then cut a thin kerf from the long end into the hole
you have drilled. Now, insert the disk into the hole and put one that you
have already drilled on top of it. Squeeze the handle to hold the disks
from spinning and drill through the center hole. I have made them in
several sizes and they work for me. harrym
"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
I bought some 'wood' discs that are about 1" in diameter. I want to
drill a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of the disc. Using a 1" forstner
bit I drilled a depression in a piece of MDF for the disk to sit in. The
disc fits nicely in the depression and I don't have to worry about
holding the disc. I tried drilling the middle hole with a 1/4" bit. The
drill started nicely but then the disc started spinning and burning the
mdf and itself. The disc actually spun onto the bit as the bit was
raised up. The hole was a mess. I tried changing to a 1/4" forstner bit
hoping the outcome would be different but it was the same.

Other than holding the disc still somehow, is there a way to resolve
thie problem? Change the speed of press maybe?

Thomas

Thomas Mitchell

One of the reasons for the hole was that I could easily find the center
point of the disc. Drill the hole with the forstner bit, change bit and
the hole is centered in the disc. Not sure if I could set up the
centering very accurate without the hole, but I'll give it a try.

Doublestick tape, no hole.